Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How To Live On A Food Budget Of £20 P/W At Uni - DISCUSSION Watch

ReputationRep:
    If this means substituting my favourite brands of food, ie Jacob's cream crackers with Aldi's own brand substitutes, then I don't want to be a student!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    £20 per week for food is fairly easy and is what i do more or less..

£4 - 72 weetabix which is more or less a months worth from Farmfoods
    £7 - 12 tins of tuna from Farmfoods is more or less a months worth.
    £2 - Warburtons bread from most supermarkets (2 per week) comes to £8 per month.
    £1.50 - 8 pints of milk each week from Farmfoods comes to £6 per month

That leaves £55 per month in which all you have to do is basically cook your main meals.

ReputationRep:
    Buy 55 packs of Aldi instant noodles for £10, 3 loafs of bread for toast and you're set for 22 days. £7~ left for anything else (some toppings for your toast, perhaps).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Don't go shopping hungry!

You can freeze things like milk.

Someone mentioned batch cooking. Again, freeze what you don't use. Whilst it may last in the fridge for 1-2 days, it doesn't last (generally) for a week or 2.

ReputationRep:
    I did this in the first year of Uni. Managed to survive, but legit lost a stone in weight!

..got a job the following year, and put a stone back on

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.