Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

How cananyone actually vote for Trump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke Kostanjsek)
    I was talking to someone about the US election today, and they've convinced me that I would actually vote for Trump. His reasoning went like this:

If you think that neither Trump nor Hillary would be a particularly suitable president, then Trump is ironically the safer bet. US politics is a minefield; the two Chambers mean it takes a very wily, shrewd political operator to make any real change. Now this is most certainly not what Trump is. Were he to be made President, it is highly doubtful he could bring about any of the sweeping changes which people seem to fear. Hillary on the other hand, is a seasoned professional at playing the game. She's been in politics for years, she knows all the secret handshakes and is the embodiment of everything people loathe about career politicians. She would certainly be far more capable than Trump of making grand changes.

I couldn't really fault his logic. And by the by, I've still yet to hear a single legitimate reason to oppose building a wall along the border with Mexico. Trump may have said plenty of things I disagree with, but I can't really understand why building a wall along a border with a foreign country is so terrible, especially when you consider the huge drugs problem gripping the US at the moment.
    Drug Lords have already advanced to tunneling. El Chapo also escaped through tunnels. Smugglers have also advanced to tunnels. More than 75 tunnels have been found in the past five years, mostly in California and Arizona.

I am not sure that Trump thinks that building a wall is more advanced than the ones who now have tunnels into the USA. As to his claim that Mexico would pay for it, again you can only laugh at the assertion just like everything else Trump says.

How Mexico, a sovereign country, is supposed to pay for a wall on USA soil is something that only Trump knows in his head. He assumes that somehow, Mexico is responsible and liable for USA's immigration enforcement problems and that rather than USA doing something to keep immigrants out, it is Mexico to do something to keep its citizens from going to the USA.

Now, lets get into Trump's allegations about Mexico that cause him to daydream about a wall:
    a. Mexico is “sending” its “worst” — the nation’s criminals, rapists, etc.,
    b. These people are “pushed into the United States by the Mexican government.”
    c. “tremendous infectious disease is pouring across the border.”
    If anyone finds the evidence and the statistics that support these statements, I would be glad to read them. I dont expect any because expecting anything from Trump is like expecting Hillary to tell the truth about her emails. It just wont happen. Truth repels Trump and vice versa.

In an attempt to state that Mexico would be made to pay for the wall by curtailing the remittances from the USA, Trump forgot that there is actually something called federal law. It would amount to direct interference with private monetary transactions in contravention of 18 U.S.C 1962 which prohibits racketeering or “through collection of an unlawful debt to acquire or maintain, directly or indirectly, any interest in or control of any enterprise which is engaged in, or the activities of which affect, interstate or foreign commerce.” If he resorts to threatening force, Article 2(4) of the UN Charter is there to deal with such instances.

But again, it is too much to ask Trump to educate himself before he speaks. Because like Hillary said at the debate "Trump lives in his OWN reality."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalDiaries)
    Drug Lords have already advanced to tunneling. El Chapo also escaped through tunnels. Smugglers have also advanced to tunnels. More than 75 tunnels have been found in the past five years, mostly in California and Arizona.

I am not sure that Trump thinks that building a wall is more advanced than the ones who now have tunnels into the USA. As to his claim that Mexico would pay for it, again you can only laugh at the assertion just like everything else Trump says.

How Mexico, a sovereign country, is supposed to pay for a wall on USA soil is something that only Trump knows in his head. He assumes that somehow, Mexico is responsible and liable for USA's immigration enforcement problems and that rather than USA doing something to keep immigrants out, it is Mexico to do something to keep its citizens from going to the USA.

Now, lets get into Trump's allegations about Mexico that cause him to daydream about a wall:
    a. Mexico is “sending” its “worst” — the nation’s criminals, rapists, etc.,
    b. These people are “pushed into the United States by the Mexican government.”
    c. “tremendous infectious disease is pouring across the border.”
    If anyone finds the evidence and the statistics that support these statements, I would be glad to read them. I dont expect any because expecting anything from Trump is like expecting Hillary to tell the truth about her emails. It just wont happen. Truth repels Trump and vice versa.

In an attempt to state that Mexico would be made to pay for the wall by curtailing the remittances from the USA, Trump forgot that there is actually something called federal law. It would amount to direct interference with private monetary transactions in contravention of 18 U.S.C 1962 which prohibits racketeering or “through collection of an unlawful debt to acquire or maintain, directly or indirectly, any interest in or control of any enterprise which is engaged in, or the activities of which affect, interstate or foreign commerce.” If he resorts to threatening force, Article 2(4) of the UN Charter is there to deal with such instances.

But again, it is too much to ask Trump to educate himself before he speaks. Because like Hillary said at the debate "Trump lives in his OWN reality."
    I would say that it's probably true, to some extent, that the Mexican government is making no efforts to curtail illegal immigration into the US because it's an easy way for them to get rid of their poorest residents, who are a drain on the Mexican economy. The more pressing argument for firmer border control however - which you seemed to ignore - is the scale of the drugs issue in the US. Drugs recently overtake traffic fatalities as the biggest cause of accidental death in the US, and something to the tune of 90% of illegal drugs in the US came via Mexico. So from that point of view it is absolutely acceptable to seek a firmer border.

As for who is going to pay for it, I doubt even Trump believes that the Mexican government is actually going to pay for it. It was a soundbite that won him lots of support with loony hardline Republicans who believe that free healthcare is the work of the Four Horseman or some such drivel. But in terms of the actual concept, I agree with the need to enforce the US-Mexican border. The only reason it isn't being at the moment is because the President is a Democrat, and the influx of Hispanic people is changing the demographic in a way which massively favours the Democrats. The reason why the Republican governors and senators support curtailing immigration and deporting illegals, is the exact same reason Democrat governors and senators support a path to citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Just like America will be again in 4 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow.

ReputationRep:
    And by the by, I've still yet to hear a single legitimate reason to oppose building a wall along the border with Mexico. Trump may have said plenty of things I disagree with, but I can't really understand why building a wall along a border with a foreign country is so terrible, especially when you consider the huge drugs problem gripping the US at the moment.
    I think the main reason is that the wall will greatly damage relations with Mexico. The fact is that Mexico is the biggest wall America has. To quote the Financial Times:

The UN estimates 400,000 Central Americans cross illegally into Mexico each year and as many as half of those are fleeing violence. The majority are quickly deported back to dangerous homes.

Mexico deported a record 175,000 Central Americans last year, up 68 per cent from the previous year and nearly two-and-a-half times the number deported by the US
    https://www.ft.com/content/c316294a-...e-647294649b28

The fact is that Mexico is stopping many from central America who are trying to get into America. Should America annoy Mexico, then Mexico can quite easily change its policy and give these migrants a free pass to the American border. The numbers would be far more than the US could imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglad2k16)
    When he said that he doesn't pay taxes because he is smart. And he has no economic policies or healthcare or education policies. He just says that the other party isn't doing well on these issues but is very vague bpabout what he would do if he was President. We don't know much about his policies apart from the ones about building the wall (which Meixco will not pay for), banning Muslims and scrapping Obamacare.
    Many Republicans would like to abolish the IRS, so it's just logical that they aren't shocked by Trump saying he avoided paying federal taxes.

ReputationRep:
    Errrmmaaaahhhgeeerrrddd!

How can anyone have the free will to vote for who they want? ****ing fascists.

ReputationRep:
    Because Trump running for president has caused a lot of butthurt and created some top class memes, I live for leftist butthurt

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to someone about the US election today, and they've convinced me that I would actually vote for Trump. His reasoning went like this:

If you think that neither Trump nor Hillary would be a particularly suitable president, then Trump is ironically the safer bet. US politics is a minefield; the two Chambers mean it takes a very wily, shrewd political operator to make any real change. Now this is most certainly not what Trump is. Were he to be made President, it is highly doubtful he could bring about any of the sweeping changes which people seem to fear. Hillary on the other hand, is a seasoned professional at playing the game. She's been in politics for years, she knows all the secret handshakes and is the embodiment of everything people loathe about career politicians. She would certainly be far more capable than Trump of making grand changes.

I couldn't really fault his logic. And by the by, I've still yet to hear a single legitimate reason to oppose building a wall along the border with Mexico. Trump may have said plenty of things I disagree with, but I can't really understand why building a wall along a border with a foreign country is so terrible, especially when you consider the huge drugs problem gripping the US at the moment.
    Mexicans would love a walll to be built, it would provide them with years of well paid work and they can put in lots of secret tunnels in wall so they can smuggle people through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Quite easily really, you go into the polling station and mark the ballot paper next to Trump's name in accordance with voting procedure.

It of course is funny to say that Trump has no policies other than building a wall, care to tell me Clinton's? We hear the sound bites, and very heavily Clinton leaning at that, and have no real coverage of the candidates and their policies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Morons, racists, homophobes, misogynist and ****wits are still entitled to representation.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.