B1060 – National Curriculum (First Aid) Bill 2016

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see it as an after-school class which occurs for, say, an hour a week, with the opportunity to take a test twice a year - once the test is passed, the student no longer has to attend the class.

ReputationRep:
    In agreement with others; teaching first aid to children in schools is an excellent idea, however I disagree with how it would be implemented in primary school. Past 'ask an adult for help', a lot of them may not take much of it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Aye.

Perhaps also make it compulsory for schools to make it known various organisations which offer further training?
    Good idea for a second reading that is.

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Abstain at the moment. I don't think younger primary school children should be included in this - they can't really be expected to understand or put it into practice, after all - and I query why more time is not being allocated for first aid teaching in secondary school. Surely more advanced first aid, which would take more time, should be taught in secondary? Also, what's the difference between 'essential and basic' first aid and 'essential' first aid?
    Before now I've seen it in practice - when it matters a kid can do it if they've been taught how. Although what age would you suggest? Also you'd be surprised how quickly you can learn first aid; whenever I do it with cadets it takes two days (including testing) and that goes to battlefield standard at the peak of your cadet career.

As for the difference, that can be clarified in a second reading although basic would the important but easily treated stuff like minor traumas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. It would have been an aye but this needs some changing. I agree with JD in terms of hours, it should be per year or per term because per month is not suitable for this.

I'm pretty sure schools do get slots of free time to be able to do stuff like enrichment day or something. We could easily have those changed into compulsory first-aid lessons? I don't know just a suggestion

ReputationRep:
    Two problems with this:

1) Primary school children won't be able to properly comprehend the purpose of it, never mind put it into practice.

2) Also, where will schools find the time to teach this? Because, I can tell you right now, making school days longer will not be popular at.all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    Abstain. It would have been an aye but this needs some changing. I agree with JD in terms of hours, it should be per year or per term because per month is not suitable for this.

I'm pretty sure schools do get slots of free time to be able to do stuff like enrichment day or something. We could easily have those changed into compulsory first-aid lessons? I don't know just a suggestion
    Right, OK I'll make sure the changes to the hours are made. As for the free time but, that's what I was thinking but perhaps it should be made a bit clearer.

(Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Two problems with this:

1) Primary school children won't be able to properly comprehend the purpose of it, never mind put it into practice.

2) Also, where will schools find the time to teach this? Because, I can tell you right now, making school days longer will not be popular at.all.
    I'll repeat, I have seen primary school kids put basic first aid into practice

For the time suggestion, see above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Abstain at the moment. I don't think younger primary school children should be included in this - they can't really be expected to understand or put it into practice, after all - and I query why more time is not being allocated for first aid teaching in secondary school. Surely more advanced first aid, which would take more time, should be taught in secondary? Also, what's the difference between 'essential and basic' first aid and 'essential' first aid?
    Actually research from the British Red Cross shows that children as young as five can be taught basic first aid. The difference between the training is shown in the bill itself and it ensures that due to the repetition of certain parts of the training as well as the time spent on it that children will grow up with the knowledge inbeded. If you know how to cycle or swim because you learnt to as a child then you'll be able to even if you don't practice for years, its the same principle in First Aid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I'd like to see it as an after-school class which occurs for, say, an hour a week, with the opportunity to take a test twice a year - once the test is passed, the student no longer has to attend the class.
    A first aid test has to be retaken regularly for the qualification to hold any significance. In reality, its just basic knowledge like riding a bike or swimming and therefore the qualification isn't necessary unless you need to prove to someone that you're trained and confident to perform first aid (e.g. an employer)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    A first aid test has to be retaken regularly for the qualification to hold any significance. In reality, its just basic knowledge like riding a bike or swimming and therefore the qualification isn't necessary unless you need to prove to someone that you're trained and confident to perform first aid (e.g. an employer)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely these two sentences contradict each other?

ReputationRep:
    Surely these two sentences contradict each other?
    If you're in school a first aid test isn't necessary for any reason, and if there were one or two students who needed one then they'd be able to do one through the BRC or SJA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're in school a first aid test isn't necessary for any reason, and if there were one or two students who needed one then they'd be able to do one through the BRC or SJA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Testing is necessary to make sure kids have understood what they need to. If you don't have testing, the whole policy is pretty much worthless.

Edit: and with the after-school nature, there's also a big incentive for kids to work hard on it.

ReputationRep:
    Testing is necessary to make sure kids have understood what they need to. If you don't have testing, the whole policy is pretty much worthless.

Edit: and with the after-school nature, there's also a big incentive for kids to work hard on it.
    In the second reading I'll add that tests will take place at least twice every school year to monitor progress and competence. A formal first aid test for a qualification isn't necessary though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In the second reading I'll add that tests will take place at least twice every school year to monitor progress and competence. A formal first aid test for a qualification isn't necessary though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I also think that realistically, you can expect kids to learn all the first aid they'll need in life in about 10 hours total of tuition.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If in half a year they haven't got the hang of it they probably never will

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It takes 341 hours to teach this stuff and you expect 4 and 5 year old to have any idea what's going on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually they learn far quicker than adults do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Actually they learn far quicker than adults do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which is somethingthat extends well beyond reception

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which is somethingthat extends well beyond reception

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly, which is why they should be learning this at a younger age.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unless they're gonna use it - the formal qualification is what stops them getting sued even though they did it right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Unless they're gonna use it - the formal qualification is what stops them getting sued even though they did it right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, you can only be sued if you intend to harm or if you've done it wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, you can only be sued if you intend to harm or if you've done it wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's when you're a qualified first aider covered by St Johns Ambulance; or at least that's what I've been told on the gazillion and one first aid courses I've been on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.