Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

why do people do gap year abroad working with children

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=looloo2134;67817824]
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Children in local authority care in the UK are well provided for. Children in other countries are not and its a good thing that young people want to leave their homes and families and go and give of themselves to children who are not so lucky.[/QUOT

Children in local authority care in the UK are not well provided for
    1) more likely to have mental illness than children not in local authority care,
    2) more likely to be criminalized for normal teenage behavior such as come home late at night.
    3) more likely become homeless after leaving care
    4)do less well at school and less likely to go to university or get employment
    5) can be in ten different care homes by the age of 12.

If you think that children in local authority care in Britain are well provided for you are very wrong and have never meet a person who been in care.

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_...rdos_today.htm
    I spent the first 21 years of my life in care.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Seamus123;67818880][QUOTE=looloo2134;67817824]

I spent the first 21 years of my life in care.[/QU

If you did spent time in care would realized that the British care system does have very poor results

(Original post by Seamus123)
    Yes, I went through it myself.
    Well you must be one of the lucky ones, because I know many who were not so fortunate and the stats back that up. Its scandalously poor system that lets down children at every turn.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't one of the lucky ones.

ReputationRep:
    Students, unless Social Work students, would absolutely not be allowed to work with UK children in care. My son is doing a Health and Social Care course. One of his lecturers is a Social Worker in a residential home for 6 local authority Looked After children. He said the amount of forms that need to be filled in just to allow an Electrician in to the building to do some repair work,because he would be withing close proximity to the children potentially is unbelievable . My son, who has to have an Access NI certificate updated every year which proved he has no criminal convictions, every one on his course was told forget even thinking about applying to do a voluntary placement on a hospital ward, let alone with children. Luckily he was allowed to do work placement in a primary school as a Classroom Assistant, but that's only because he is constantly supervised and never left alone with any of them; the teacher is present at all times.

ReputationRep:
    I was born in 1948 and abandoned by my mother on the steps of the children's home at less than 24 hours old. I suffered physical, emotional, sexual, psychological abuse and also had a pregnancy terminated as a result of an assault on me age 13 by a Catholic priest. I was sent to the Magdalen Laundries in Ireland to 'teach me a lesson' not uncommon in those days.
    I saw suicides, polio, diphtheria and children die from them.
    I was comparing the care system then to now.

ReputationRep:
    lol why does it matter? All children are equal, just because theyre british or the same race doesnt mean theyre entitled to the aid of people from their own race/ nationality over foreign children.

In fact, foreign children in poorer countries are probably in general worse off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wantitbigger)
    lol why does it matter? All children are equal, just because theyre british or the same race doesnt mean theyre entitled to the aid of people from their own race/ nationality over foreign children.

In fact, foreign children in poorer countries are probably in general worse off.
    Charity begins at home

I meet people who have worked with children abroad they often would never lifted a finger of help a British child in care whatever race.They looked down on British children in care even blaming an innocent child for being in care.They think their amazing and counter culture, unemployed and living off their family.

i know not all people who volunteer with children abroad are like this most are nice people and hard working and do volunteer work with children in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    That is not what I said or meant until you attempted to twist it.

The question was about people (presumably students to be) doing gap years and not the average Britain.

I never said never goes abroad I said its a once in a lifetime opportunity. There wont be many students who get a gap year again to work in their chosen area for a year. People tend to get jobs and families.

You arent stuck in the 19th century you are just 100% idiot.
    So you're saying that it's a rarity for somebody going abroad to experience a different culture, after all, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a contrasting culture, I'd only seen half a dozen different cultures before uni before not going on to spend the rest of my life in the UK bubble with no exposure to contrasting culture.

Most students also don't take a gap year to work in their chosen area for a year, I know quite a lot of people that had gap years, none of them worked abroad for anywhere near the year, and at most only one or two of them will actually have anything to do with the field now they've/when they graduate.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So you're saying that it's a rarity for somebody going abroad to experience a different culture, after all, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a contrasting culture, I'd only seen half a dozen different cultures before uni before not going on to spend the rest of my life in the UK bubble with no exposure to contrasting culture.

Most students also don't take a gap year to work in their chosen area for a year, I know quite a lot of people that had gap years, none of them worked abroad for anywhere near the year, and at most only one or two of them will actually have anything to do with the field now they've/when they graduate.
    Again you have a spectacular failure to comrpehend. this was about gap year students choosing to experience child care abroad rather than the UK childcare system.

I never said it was rare for someone to go abroad and experience a different culture. It is rare for someone young to spend a full year experienceing someones system of childcare though.

The rest of your post is irrelevant because the specific comparison is about someone choosing to experince another childcare system abroad as opposed to the UK system. How much of the UK childcare system have you immersed yourself in?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people do it just for a good excuse for a long holiday.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.