B1061 – National Health Service (Amendment) Bill 2016

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Living with a chronic disease makes the idea of prescription charges nightmarish

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tentative aye, I don't think the costings will be substantial enough to warrant asking for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Living with a chronic disease makes the idea of prescription charges nightmarish

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd rather cut charges for those with chronic illnesses than just students under 25 though. It makes so much more sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'd rather cut charges for those with chronic illnesses than just students under 25 though. It makes so much more sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would that include people who need glasses?

TBF I think that most students can't afford prescriptions a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree, it should be chronic rather than just for students, although a student subsidy would still be dece.

ReputationRep:
    To try to answer the query of the Chancellor whose budget the House rejected.

In 2015 there was an average of 20 prescriptions per person in England, average cost per prescription £8.55.
    I would suggest that students might average a lower figure, say 10, and perhaps lower than average cost per prescription, say £7, so the charges foregone would be £70 pre student.
    There are about 1.6 million students in the age group, so cost is c£105 million.
    Allowing for students going to their doctor more readily (50% more means £160m), and the cost of the doctors time being £20 per visit and five visits per year (£150m), a figure of c£310m per year is my crude estimate of the cost of this measure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)

In 2015 there was an average of 20 prescriptions per person in England, average cost per prescription £8.55.
    I would suggest that students might average a lower figure, say 10, and perhaps lower than average cost per prescription, say £7, so the charges foregone would be £70 pre student.
    There are about 1.6 million students in the age group, so cost is c£105 million.
    Allowing for students going to their doctor more readily (50% more means £160m), and the cost of the doctors time being £20 per visit and five visits per year (£150m), a figure of c£310m per year is my crude estimate of the cost of this measure.
    The average student you think has 10 prescriptions per year?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)

You'll make some of that 310mill back with reduced recurrence rates I imagine too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The average student you think has 10 prescriptions per year?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    You'll make some of that 310mill back with reduced recurrence rates I imagine too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was surprised at the figures when I researched them. Then realised that medication for asthma and other respiratory conditions is something a lot of people have, and also I expect a significant proportion of female students have one or other form of contraception on prescription.

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.

ReputationRep:
    This bill has been withdrawn.

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.