Good universities for Psychology

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    I know loughborough prefer a B in GCSE maths, but their general entry is a C, does that mean her D*D*D grades in Btec applied science won't give her a fighting chance in getting into the uni?

ReputationRep:
    I think Bath do a good course in psychology

ReputationRep:
    Well, what did you get for GCSE maths?

And have you checked course website to see if they take BTEC?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Well, what did you get for GCSE maths?

And have you checked course website to see if they take BTEC?*
    Hi,
    Well she has a C in GCSE maths after retaking it once,
    and yes they do, their Btec grade requirements are DDD and she is on track for D*D*D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spnislife)
    Hi,
    Well she has a C in GCSE maths after retaking it once,
    and yes they do, their Btec grade requirements are DDD and she is on track for D*D*D.
    Then it should be fine, she meets the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Then it should be fine, she meets the requirements.
    The retake won't be an issue?

ReputationRep:
    The retake won't be an issue?
    Shouldn't be, but if concerned contact them directly.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't be, but if concerned contact them directly.
    Alright, thanks so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Sorry to intrude on the post. I'm a bit worried about my sister. She is hoping to do psychology at uni but her GCSES aren't very good they were BBBBBCCCCCDEE with a b in GCSE language and literature and c in maths (after retaking once)
    Shes currently doing a Btec in applied science level 3 and is predicted D*D*D
    Shes planning on applying to:
    Loughborough,
    Sheffield,
    Liverpool,
    Leicester and
    maybe Coventry.
    Do you think she would get any offers? Especially from Loughborough?
    Thanks x
    I'm at Sheffield studying psychology, I'm have a good experience so far

ReputationRep:
    Which would be better for psychology? Warwick or Southampton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evangelinemay)
    I am planning on studying psychology at uni and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of it at unis I'm looking into, or had any suggestions of good psychology courses? My favourites currently are Exeter, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, Kent and East Anglia. Thank you

We're a little biased but here are a few key stats for UEA - we're a Top 15 university (Times/Sunday Times University Guide 2017), Top 5 for student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2016) and within the World Top 100 for research excellence (Leiden Ranking 2016).

Our Psychology department has been ranked in the Top 10 Psychology departments in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2017). You will also find some great feedback from our students on the Unistats website - who are very positive about the Psychology staff and teaching we offer here at UEA. Norwich is a great place to study, there are some decent cost of living stats for the city, and accommodation can also be more affordable than a number of city universities if you compare on Unistats.

Our YouTube channel can give you more insights including this video on Psychology:

Head to our website where you can book for this month's Open Day or request a prospectus as well as signing up for more information about UEA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elastichedgehog)
    I'm at Sheffield studying psychology, I'm have a good experience so far
    That's cool! Do you know anyone with a btec on the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evangelinemay)
    I am planning on studying psychology at uni and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of it at unis I'm looking into, or had any suggestions of good psychology courses? My favourites currently are Exeter, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, Kent and East Anglia. Thank you
    Hi Evangeline,

I'm a third year Psychology student at the University of Bath, and so far I have really enjoyed the course here and would definitely recommend it. From my experience, the Psychology course at Bath is very varied and provides you with a solid grounding in different areas across the discipline. As you can see here in the Psychology unit catalogue, we study a wide range of topics, and the degree course particularly focuses on areas specified by the British Psychological Society.

Each semester you have the chance to choose one optional module from another faculty, such as Sociology, Politics or Education, meaning the course doesn't have to be solely Psychology units. I really like this as it gives you the opportunity to experience lectures in another department, which have different teaching styles and lecture groups. The course is assessed through a mixture of exams, coursework and presentations, which is good if you don't particularly like being assessed by exams.

Bath also offers a BSc Psychology degree with a placement year. Doing a placement is a great opportunity to gain experience working in Psychology, as work experience in this area is often hard to find. There is a wide variety of placements to apply to. These include research placements at universities, clinical psychology placements in hospitals, forensic psychology placements in prisons, and business psychology placements in large companies. There is also the opportunity to live abroad for your placement year, with placements available in the USA, New Zealand and Australia.

The careers service at Bath is also really helpful, and the Psychology department runs many talks throughout the year about different career paths, including talks by professional psychologists and former Bath students. I have found this really useful as it is very interesting to learn about the work they do and it can give you a better idea of what you would like to do with your degree.

If you have any questions about the course or student life in Bath, please feel free to quote me!

Beth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University Of Bath)
    Hi Evangeline,

I'm a third year Psychology student at the University of Bath, and so far I have really enjoyed the course here and would definitely recommend it. From my experience, the Psychology course at Bath is very varied and provides you with a solid grounding in different areas across the discipline. As you can see here in the Psychology unit catalogue, we study a wide range of topics, and the degree course particularly focuses on areas specified by the British Psychological Society.

Each semester you have the chance to choose one optional module from another faculty, such as Sociology, Politics or Education, meaning the course doesn't have to be solely Psychology units. I really like this as it gives you the opportunity to experience lectures in another department, which have different teaching styles and lecture groups. The course is assessed through a mixture of exams, coursework and presentations, which is good if you don't particularly like being assessed by exams.

Bath also offers a BSc Psychology degree with a placement year. Doing a placement is a great opportunity to gain experience working in Psychology, as work experience in this area is often hard to find. There is a wide variety of placements to apply to. These include research placements at universities, clinical psychology placements in hospitals, forensic psychology placements in prisons, and business psychology placements in large companies. There is also the opportunity to live abroad for your placement year, with placements available in the USA, New Zealand and Australia.

The careers service at Bath is also really helpful, and the Psychology department runs many talks throughout the year about different career paths, including talks by professional psychologists and former Bath students. I have found this really useful as it is very interesting to learn about the work they do and it can give you a better idea of what you would like to do with your degree.

If you have any questions about the course or student life in Bath, please feel free to quote me!

Beth
    Hi Beth
    I'm hoping to go to Bath to do the Psychology course with the placement year. They are asking for A*AA or AAA with an A in EPQ. The A Levels I'm currently doing are Biology, Psychology, Maths and EPQ, and I'm predicted AAAA. Do you think I would still be considered/ have the chance of getting a place at bath if I get AAA and a B in EPQ?? I'm so worried as Bath is literally so perfect for me but I'm so worried I won't get an A in my EPQ
    Thanks
    Chloe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloebreenb)
    Hi Beth
    I'm hoping to go to Bath to do the Psychology course with the placement year. They are asking for A*AA or AAA with an A in EPQ. The A Levels I'm currently doing are Biology, Psychology, Maths and EPQ, and I'm predicted AAAA. Do you think I would still be considered/ have the chance of getting a place at bath if I get AAA and a B in EPQ?? I'm so worried as Bath is literally so perfect for me but I'm so worried I won't get an A in my EPQ
    Thanks
    Chloe
    Hi Chloe,

I'm Hayden, a second year International Management student here at the University of Bath. If you were to receive an offer it would most likely be AAA with an A in EPQ. With that in mind, on results day if your grades do not meet the A*AA or AAA with the A in EPQ your application will still be considered, with no guarantee of a place. Occasionally our courses can be undersubscribed for example, due to an overall performance lower than expected. Therefore, a B in your EPQ would not rule out Bath for sure, however it would be impossible to comment on the outcome at this point.

In the meantime, try your best and put the time in! I did EPQ in my final year of A-Levels, the best results definitely come to those who put the time in.

Hope this helps and good luck,
    Hayden

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Im in year 12 and i really want to study psychology at university but i dont know if the grades i got at gcse are good enough. Also i dont know if the subjects i am studying right now are accepted by universities for a psychology course.
    In my GCSE's i got 1A* 4B's 6C's.
    BC in science (double award)
    B in maths
    C in English literature and language
    I am now studying-
    Btec diploma in applied science- DD (predicted)
    A-level Maths- C (predicted)

My predicted grades are based of my results in the first term. I still have time to bring them higher. I am aiming for D*D and B.

Which universities will accept the grades i have achieved and the courses i am studying now? What can i do to make up for the lack of knowledge in psychology? And what work experience would be valuable to support my applications?

Thanks guys.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.