Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M406 - Full Drug Decriminalisation Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I will probably be abstaining on this one. I see both the positive and negative sides of drug legalisation. I do believe that people should have control over their own lives and that if all drugs are legalised, the drug market can be regulated a lot better. However, drug abuse costs the NHS £488m each year and someone severely under the influence of drugs could pose a threat to the public.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Decriminalisation and legalisation are two different things. Whilst I personally support legalisation, I didn't think it would have a feasible chance of passing. There also isn't much evidence in favour of it. Decriminalisation, on the other hand, had plenty of evidence in favour of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Decriminalisation and legalisation are the same thing in this context, or at least, legalisation is a subset of decriminalisation, and can validly be interpreted that way. Considering outright legalisation is a disaster, it needs a change before I can support it.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I will probably be abstaining on this one. I see both the positive and negative sides of drug legalisation. I do believe that people should have control over their own lives and that if all drugs are legalised, the drug market can be regulated a lot better. However, drug abuse costs the NHS £488m each year and someone severely under the influence of drugs could pose a threat to the public.
    Again, this isn't drug legalisation. There is a difference between decriminalisation and legalisation.

If you look at the data I've supplied from Portugal, you'll know that this will reduce NHS costs. You'll know that this will reduce drug usage. You'll know that this will ensure more people aren't posing a threat to the public.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Decriminalisation and legalisation are the same thing in this context, or at least, legalisation is a subset of decriminalisation, and can validly be interpreted that way. Considering outright legalisation is a disaster, it needs a change before I can support it.
    Well what changes would be necessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well what changes would be necessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Make it more specific. In fact, if something falls within the legislative competence of Parliament, then it should very rarely be written as a Motion rather than a Bill - or does your coalition agreement permit you to submit Motions but not Bills?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Make it more specific. In fact, if something falls within the legislative competence of Parliament, then it should very rarely be written as a Motion rather than a Bill - or does your coalition agreement permit you to submit Motions but not Bills?
    This is only being written as a motion so I could work out support before writing and submitting a bill. I don't intend to submit and pass the motion and then sit around twiddling my thumbs thinking my work is done.

It's got nothing to do with the coalition either, given that it's a Liberal Party motion rather than a Government statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is only being written as a motion so I could work out support before writing and submitting a bill. I don't intend to submit and pass the motion and then sit around twiddling my thumbs thinking my work is done.

It's got nothing to do with the coalition either, given that it's a Liberal Party motion rather than a Government statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That was the only possible reason I could think of. If you wanted to gauge support, why not just PM other party leaders, or post in the Bar?

I don't mean to be a ****, and you know you and I have fundamentally similar ideas on this, I just don't really see the point.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's very odd to see a motion from the Liberal Party calling on the Conservative-Liberal government to do something. You'd think the Deputy Prime Minister would be able to send himself an email or something. He could even cc Life_peer.

ReputationRep:
    I fully support this.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    That was the only possible reason I could think of. If you wanted to gauge support, why not just PM other party leaders, or post in the Bar?

I don't mean to be a ****, and you know you and I have fundamentally similar ideas on this, I just don't really see the point.
    Some leaders don't whip and most MPs don't look in the bar, or comment. I want to know how the majority of MPs will vote. This is the only way I can know for sure how the majority of MPs will vote.

(Original post by RayApparently)
    It's very odd to see a motion from the Liberal Party calling on the Conservative-Liberal government to do something. You'd think the Deputy Prime Minister would be able to send himself an email or something. He could even cc Life_peer.
    Someone needs to read the notes

Edit: Or you know, the other comments I've made on this thread explaining exactly why this motion was submitted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    The obvious solution to this is to privatise healthcare but with the pervasive NHS-worship we have here the next best thing is to make people pay for NHS treatment of issues that are their own fault such as those caused by drug abuse.

ReputationRep:
    If it meant that you could get the drugs in pharmacies, sure - this means purity and safety, may reduce drug-related crime and can be taxed to help the economy. I say this as a non drug user.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Someone needs to read the notes

Edit: Or you know, the other comments I've made on this thread explaining exactly why this motion was submitted
    Is that someone you? Given my post was about the oddness of the Liberals calling on the government they are part of to act and rather than the use of a motion rather than the bill.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Is that someone you? Given my post was about the oddness of the Liberals calling on the government they are part of to act and rather than the use of a motion rather than the bill.
    Let's put it this way - I'm exploiting the use of motions to work out whether a bill on this subject would pass.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Let's put it this way - I'm exploiting the use of motions to work out whether a bill on this subject would pass.
    I guess that depends on how the government votes.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I guess that depends on how the government votes.
    It depends on how half the Government votes actually. And in any case, I'd just submit it as either a Party Bill or a PMB if I had to
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how half the Government votes actually. And in any case, I'd just submit it as either a Party Bill or a PMB if I had to
    Are the other half's votes valueless?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Are the other half's votes valueless?
    Oh no, they all have value I just expect half of the Government to vote a certain way

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.