Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Can I carry a knife with me on a train?

ReputationRep:
    The law states that it's "illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason". If you're transporting it to a campsite with the intention of using it for campsite then I would imagine that probably would be legal. However, carrying it for "self-defence" (in inverted commas because you are much more likely to get seriously injured if you carry a knife, the idea that it's actually self-defence is a complete lie) is not a valid reason and it is absolutely illegal with possible prison sentences.

(Original post by 0to100)
    Or he can just say he's an avid Lord of the Rings fan...and getting his Legolas gear ready. That's what I'd do.
    Then you'd be convicted then. It wouldnt meet the requirements of reasonable excuse. On that basis you could say you were some sort of film star and that justified you having any weapon .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Try a gun. If the police arrest you, say "it was a social experiment bro".
    You can carry a gun legally as long as it's secure and you have the appropiate firearms license

Did you mean a handgun? Because yeah, that would be stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Then you'd be convicted then. It wouldnt meet the requirements of reasonable excuse. On that basis you could say you were some sort of film star and that justified you having any weapon .
    Yea it was a joke and all

Tbf the explanation angry redhead gace about the situation at the beginning was good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Tbf the explanation angry redhead gace about the situation at the beginning was good.
    Thanks

When you have the police in your family you have to know this **** lol

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Thanks

When you have the police in your family you have to know this **** lol
    Pontless re explaining things and you were first plus answered the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    The law states that it's "illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason". If you're transporting it to a campsite with the intention of using it for campsite then I would imagine that probably would be legal. However, carrying it for "self-defence" (in inverted commas because you are much more likely to get seriously injured if you carry a knife, the idea that it's actually self-defence is a complete lie) is not a valid reason and it is absolutely illegal with possible prison sentences.
    I won't be going to a campsite though, I will be wild camping in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    if you have a criminal record it would not matter where said knife was positioned within luggage etc and again the size of 3 inches or less would not matter , you would get nicked . but I find the question really vague mate , like what kind of knife ? where and why your travelling with such an article ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Good.
    Ty for the follow btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Ty for the follow btw
    Thank you too.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you too.
    Np

I always follow back

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Just in case he needs a shave in a hurry

ReputationRep:
    you were supposed to say
    "lol"

and why not, it's dangerous in this world.
    Lol if someone did attack you , how would u get the knife out of ur bag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    Might I add, I will be doing some 'elite' camping.
    wtf

ReputationRep:
    You can, but possession of fixed blade/lock knives is pretty much illegal (if not particularly enforceable/enforced, in such cases). My tactical 'camping knife' is pretty sinister looking, NGL (bit like one pictured). Worth noting that the penalty for being caught in possession of such a bladed weapon is pretty severe these days

Spoiler:
    Show
    I bring blades with me on public transport all the time lol
    Aye, but, with respect, you're not exactly typical of the TSRian demographic, mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    You can, but possession of fixed blade/lock knives is pretty much illegal (if not particularly enforceable/enforced, in such cases). My tactical 'camping knife' is pretty sinister looking, NGL (bit like one pictured). Worth noting that the penalty for being caught in possession of such a bladed weapon is pretty severe these days
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Aye, but, with respect, you're not exactly typical of the TSRian demographic, mate
    Ooooohhhh...

Name:  burn.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  70.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    It's ok. Law states two basic rules:

1) if it's a folding blade less than 3 inches (I.e. A Swiss Army knife) you can carry it without needing a reason / no questions asked.

2) if it locks or is more than 3 inches you can carry it as long as you have a valid reason - camping is likely to be accepted unless the police officer who sees it is having a bad day!

Third rule that should be fairly obvious is don't threaten anyone with it. Final condition is it can't be one of the restricted types of knives - I.e. Disguised knives, switchblades, butterfly knives & zombie knives.

Any more questions check here for a definitive answer:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    Lol if someone did attack you , how would u get the knife out of ur bag.
    who said it's in my bag

(Original post by Foo.mp3)

And that I am proud of

ReputationRep:
    who said it's in my bag

And that I am proud of
    Better know how to use it

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.