Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this normal for a nearly 17 year old? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    And I usually find myself searching up what being a friend is, what being socially awkward means, what classes people as being your friend, etc. So I guess I'm a bit lacking in my social part of life. (Thanks aspergers!! :mad: )

ReputationRep:
    Dude... I haven't done these things either.

To be honest, at this age, I do think it's good that we keep away from such things. Our priority, really, is to study and make ourselves more knowledgeable.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest im similar in quite a few ways (im 17, only just though)-okay ive sworn a LOT (purely because physics AS caused stress and essentially slkight permanent mental damage as im now finding it hard not to get angry at difficult work :s) but not at others, just sorta moaning about how difficult work is XD
    - drunk alcohol..... nothing serious like a lot of teenagers though. i dont get drunk with friends drinking vodka. literally apart from a couple of birthdays where i drink it the only time ive drunk alcohol is cider and that's homebrewed XD (something went wrong and it tasted of beer though.... :l)
    - nearest to a party is prom, and there it was boring and i did nothing (went with a friend rather than a date) apart from playing crud on my phone with friends-never smoked. Don't smoke people, all you do is look like an idiot to a lot of other people and you end up seriously damaging essentially all aspects of life-never had a sleepover. honest here, almost had my first the other week for a friends birthday, sadly conflicted with uni open day. tbh never felt the need of a sleepover-never kissed a girl (apart from when i was like 10, had no idea what the hell i was doing, rather hated the idea of kissing someone who wasnt my family XD)- never been on a date (i have acne which explains a lot)Hardly hang out, nearest i get is playing video games with them then argueing why i have to stop to do work (workload is too much)TL;DR- its not the most odd thing in the world, im a lot like you, only slight oddity is the swearing par

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanF2000)
    Basically, here is a list of things I have never done:
    Never sworn/said a swear word
    Never drunk alcohol before
    Never been to a party (apart from birthday parties and my last one was when I was 13)
    Never smoked
    Never had a sleepover (unless you count camping with scouts and school trips)
    Never kissed a girl
    Never been on a date/been out with someone
    Hardly ever hang out (most of my friends live in another town)

On the flip side, I like to read, cook, play videogames, go for walks and study. All I've wanted to do in my life is be like other teenagers and kids yet I feel completely opposite. Does anyone here share similarities to me in this? By the way, I have Aspergers and I'm diabetic so I really do find it hard to fit in with others...
    who defines being normal?

ReputationRep:
    Never been to a party (apart from birthday parties and my last one was when I was 13)
    Never smoked
    Never kissed a girl

On the flip side, I like to read, cook, play videogames, go for walks and study. All I've wanted to do in my life is be like other teenagers and kids yet I feel completely opposite. Does anyone here share similarities to me in this? By the way, I have Aspergers and I'm diabetic so I really do find it hard to fit in with others...
    When I was 17

-I had sworn before
    -Had drunk alcohol before
    -Had been to birthday parties (yes they count)
    -Hadn't smoked
    -Had had sleepovers
    -Had kissed a guy or two
    -Had had a few non serious boyfriends
    -Did occasionally go out with friends

I also have aspergers; sorry op, you're a tad weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasticide)
    to be honest im similar in quite a few ways (im 17, only just though)-okay ive sworn a LOT (purely because physics AS caused stress and essentially slkight permanent mental damage as im now finding it hard not to get angry at difficult work :s) but not at others, just sorta moaning about how difficult work is XD
    - drunk alcohol..... nothing serious like a lot of teenagers though. i dont get drunk with friends drinking vodka. literally apart from a couple of birthdays where i drink it the only time ive drunk alcohol is cider and that's homebrewed XD (something went wrong and it tasted of beer though.... :l)
    - nearest to a party is prom, and there it was boring and i did nothing (went with a friend rather than a date) apart from playing crud on my phone with friends-never smoked. Don't smoke people, all you do is look like an idiot to a lot of other people and you end up seriously damaging essentially all aspects of life-never had a sleepover. honest here, almost had my first the other week for a friends birthday, sadly conflicted with uni open day. tbh never felt the need of a sleepover-never kissed a girl (apart from when i was like 10, had no idea what the hell i was doing, rather hated the idea of kissing someone who wasnt my family XD)- never been on a date (i have acne which explains a lot)Hardly hang out, nearest i get is playing video games with them then argueing why i have to stop to do work (workload is too much)TL;DR- its not the most odd thing in the world, im a lot like you, only slight oddity is the swearing par
    Thanks for writing this I don't mind others swearing at non-living things but swearing at people or animals is just unacceptable for me. I'm doing AS and luckily my subjects aren't too hard, there's just a lot of work involved and 2 subjects I've never done before.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for writing this I don't mind others swearing at non-living things but swearing at people or animals is just unacceptable for me. I'm doing AS and luckily my subjects aren't too hard, there's just a lot of work involved and 2 subjects I've never done before.
    What AS's you doing may i ask?

ReputationRep:
    What AS's you doing may i ask?
    Business, Media, Statistics and Applied Science. I wanted to do physics and maths but I got a C in GCSE maths and a B in science. And I chose these because I'm planning on working in the gaming industry (marketing and advertising)

ReputationRep:
    Business, Media, Statistics and Applied Science. I wanted to do physics and maths but I got a C in GCSE maths and a B in science. And I chose these because I'm planning on working in the gaming industry (marketing and advertising)
    wait can you do an AS (or A2) in just stats? i know its part of the maths a level

ReputationRep:
    wait can you do an AS (or A2) in just stats? i know its part of the maths a level
    We're able to do an AS in the first year and an EPQ / A2 level in the second year. At my school, the maths options are maths, statistics and maybe further maths (not sure)

ReputationRep:
    Never smoked
    Never kissed a girl

On the flip side, I like to read, cook, play video games, go for walks and study. All I've wanted to do in my life is be like other teenagers and kids yet I feel completely opposite. Does anyone here share similarities to me in this? By the way, I have Aspergers and I'm diabetic so I really do find it hard to fit in with others...
    TO most people, I suppose It wouldn't be normal...but then I know lots of people who are exactly like you(well, judging by this one post)
    and except for the swearing and the sleepover; I'm with you.
    I've been more of a matchmaker rather than trying to get a match for myself which is IMPOSSIBLE by the way. :"D
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No but the swearing part seriously?? How have you refrained from the devils ways? Teach me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Which UK University has the most beautiful Campus?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.