Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I spend £450 on a phone even if my mum goes mad? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why; so that you can introduce your friends and family to an object even denser than you are? By all means, proceed, but with the understanding that if you should sign on at any point after graduation, I and a coalition of fellow tax-payers will hunt you down and beat you soundly over the head with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Wow, you lot are savage..I don't even think I want the phone anymore
    If you need a new phone, invest in a good one such as the 450 though you may be able to get it cheaper with some deals idk - no problem with that. But if you don't really need it at the moment, why not just save your money?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it depends on what money you've got coming in.

If I was in that situation, I would only spend that much on something like a phone if I also had a job, as I need my student loan for other more important things like not starving to death and I don't really have any savings. I also need to run my car - so students who don't drive and don't need to spend money on things like petrol might have a different view.

Ultimately it's your decision, but just think about how much student loan you get, how much you need to live on, and if you might have large sums to pay in the foreseeable future (e.g. do you have to put a car through MOT, or do you need money for deposit and/or rent or something like that?). Don't impulse buy something that expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see the fuss with pricey phones tbh :L

ReputationRep:
    iv been trying to get Iphone7 they just go out of stock like in 10 mins
    • Very Important Poster

Wow, you lot are savage..I don't even think I want the phone anymore
    You simply havent given enough information.
    Do you have savings?

Have you budgeted all your years money so you can afford your books, food and accommodation? You will really notice if you dont have enough for any of those three. £450 on a luxury item seems strange if not. The only single purchase item I cant think worth that money is whatever computer you need.

For all we know you could have £20,000 in savings plus a job, so you cna afford it easily. Alternatively you could be a fresher with no job and no savings whi can ill afford spending that amount.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    You simply havent given enough information.
    Do you have savings?

Have you budgeted all your years money so you can afford your books, food and accommodation? You will really notice if you dont have enough for any of those three. £450 on a luxury item seems strange if not. The only single purchase item I cant think worth that money is whatever computer you need.

For all we know you could have £20,000 in savings plus a job, so you cna afford it easily. Alternatively you could be a fresher with no job and no savings whi can ill afford spending that amount.
    I'm a fresher.I have a job where I earn 100 quid a week. I commute from home and have a grand in savings (excluding student finance)
    • Very Important Poster

I'm a fresher.I have a job where I earn 100 quid a week. I commute from home and have a grand in savings (excluding student finance)
    Its up to you. Id prefer to have my textbooks and maybe a decent computer.
    The job is good, but then id consider whether id have more fun not commuting- no idea of your commute.

Why not make sure you cna afford to keep yourself.
    Use hald finance from student grant or overdraft and half from your savings or income.

Its your money, just make sure you dont run out.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend you get a 6s rather than the plus version because its got the same functionality however the plus is larger and frankly has a
    lower resolution.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.