Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

A160 - Question Times Amendment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I'm not being ignorant or insulting your intelligence and I don't believe PMQs are dire at all. I'm saying that I don't believe people would ignore PMQs if they just became a bit more structured.
    This doesn't change structure just frequency, if people barely ever have questions now why would they in this model?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, there is no point having question time threads for the Prime Minister, nor any government minister when there is an Ask the Government thread. Question Time threads do more to massage the ego of members who care about virtual titles than add a dimension to the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    This doesn't change structure just frequency, if people barely ever have questions now why would they in this model?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does indeed change frequency too. The last PMQs was, I believe, exactly 2 months ago. The job of Prime Minister is a great honour and a responsibility. Therefore, they shouldn't be allowed to go for large amounts of time without a single PMQs. And I wouldn't say that people 'barely ever have questions'. In the last session of PMQs, there were 15 very varied questions.

ReputationRep:
    It does indeed change frequency too. The last PMQs was, I believe, exactly 2 months ago. The job of Prime Minister is a great honour and a responsibility. Therefore, they shouldn't be allowed to go for large amounts of time without a single PMQs. And I wouldn't say that people 'barely ever have questions'. In the last session of PMQs, there were 15 very varied questions.
    How many of those were jokes/asked for the hell of it? And tbh PM is just an orginisqtion role...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your second point is very good and a change which I will make for a second reading. For your first point, how frequent do you think PMQs should be?
    At the very most once a month, even that I would think is too frequent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    At the very most once a month, even that I would think is too frequent.
    I think once a month would be a good frequency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    How many of those were jokes/asked for the hell of it? And tbh PM is just an orginisqtion role...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A few were jokes but the vast majority were sensible questions. And the PM role is not purely an 'orginisqtion' role.

ReputationRep:
    A few were jokes but the vast majority were sensible questions. And the PM role is not purely an 'orginisqtion' role.
    So what else does the TSR PM do?

ReputationRep:
    On TSR 'Prime Minister' is basically an empty title. Most of the time he doesn't even have any executive power in the coalition really we don't need one in our current layout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    On TSR 'Prime Minister' is basically an empty title. Most of the time he doesn't even have any executive power in the coalition really we don't need one in our current layout.
    Take that back now!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps a better way to do it would be to make it ministerial in general, even though so many will just be dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Take that back now!
    Make me :dogt:

ReputationRep:
    Nay. The current system is fine as it is. I could perhaps support an amendment where the Leader of the Opposition could call a questions a couple of times per term and the Prime Minister would have to accept within a period of a week or something like that so the Opposition would find it a little easier to hold the Government to account

ReputationRep:
    Nay, the Prime Minister may have real life circumstances that prevent them from answering questions every other Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanBowling33)
    Nay, the Prime Minister may have real life circumstances that prevent them from answering questions every other Wednesday.
    For a second reading, I will probably move the day to Friday. If the Prime Minister happens to be unavailable when a session of PMQs takes place, that's fine - the Deputy Prime Minister can answer questions instead.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, people ask questions as and when in the AtG thread anyway, so chances are there are less proper questions for when the PMQs comes along...

ReputationRep:
    Aye , When i stood for speaker i argued that there should be more ministerial questions i.e a different ministerial question set every week.

ReputationRep:
    For a second reading, I will probably move the day to Friday. If the Prime Minister happens to be unavailable when a session of PMQs takes place, that's fine - the Deputy Prime Minister can answer questions instead.
    Moving it to Friday seems a sensible idea - I'd keep it every 2 weeks but label it as a generic 'Ministers Questions' rather than specifically PMQ's, where the PM can either take it themselves or allocate it to one of their ministers. E.g. Defence Secretary Questions

ReputationRep:
    This amendment is is cessation.

ReputationRep:
    This amendment has gone to a second reading.

Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.