Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article 50 to be triggered in March Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

Okay, I've got until March......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    And watching buffoons like you fawn over a far left protest party giving up any chance of actually competing for general elections makes other people sick.
    Not sure how many of the Leave voters will still be celebrating when big employers like Nissan pack their bags after Liam Fox's Hard Brexit becomes a reality because Theresa May is as powerless as Cameron was to control the headbangers on her feral backbenches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    *Meanwhile, the economy continues to head to the door marked 'last person here, please turn out the lights'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    A GCSE politics student could have told you the "great repeal" was going to happen, and given the government rhetoric for the last few months has been "early next year" that's a pretty safe bet too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree.

If it were me I would do it after the French and German elections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Watching the Tories celebrating this crap last night made me feel sick. The organised manipulation of public racism and the ridiculous egomaniacal buffoonery that got us into this situation is apparently all fine with the whackjobs of the modern Conservative Party.

Meanwhile, the economy continues to head to the door marked 'last person here, please turn out the lights'.
    Really, I didn't realise that positive economic results were were a bad thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    I agree.

If it were me I would do it after the French and German elections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Should be done at 1100 on 11/11 so if we take it as two years to the minute we leave on the centenary of the armistice agreement

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Really, I didn't realise that positive economic results were were a bad thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't realise that the pound falling to its lowest level in 3 years and a 20% decrease in investments into businesses was a positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I didn't realise that the pound falling to its lowest level in 3 years and a 20% decrease in investments into businesses was a positive.
    Brexit is a magic money tree to the ukip Crowd. They'd be screaming murder if that happened under Labour but because it's brexit it's 'good for exports'.

I'm past careing at this point but it does amuse me,
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Brexit is a magic money tree to the ukip Crowd. They'd be screaming murder if that happened under Labour but because it's brexit it's 'good for exports'.

I'm past careing at this point but it does amuse me,
    The Brexit crowd seem to have stolen quite a few tricks from the hard left. 'Money for everyone!!!!

Theresa May and Phillip Hammond have pledged policies over the last few days which if Labour had done, they would have been slated hugely for being reckless.

ReputationRep:
    The Brexit crowd seem to have stolen quite a few tricks from the hard left. 'Money for everyone!!!!

Theresa May and Phillip Hammond have pledged policies over the last few days which if Labour had done, they would have been slated hugely for being reckless.
    Of course. Sadly, the messenger counts for everything.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I forgot you hated stronger exports, stronger manufacturing and the apocalypse not coming was a bad thing.,
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I forgot you hated stronger exports, stronger manufacturing and the apocalypse not coming was a bad thing.,
    Sigh. The reason exports have increased is BECAUSE the pound has fallen in value.

There has been a 20% reduction into investment into businesses here. Many of which much prefer having access to the single market and thus people are holding back investments.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. The reason exports have increased is BECAUSE the pound has fallen in value.

Isn't this growth awful, and those growing wages too, can't be having any of that either, can we?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Isn't this growth awful, and those growing wages too, can't be having any of that either, can we?
    Not only have we not left yet, we have also not decided what our future relationship with the EU will be. The pound has fallen to its lowest level in three years, investments are down 20%.

You may point to growth in wages as if that was anything to do with the EU vote, but that's sheer opportunism on your behalf.

What is utterly laughable, is someone like you who claims to be intelligent went on about exports improving without realising that the only reason they did so was because sterling has fallen.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not only have we not left yet, we have also not decided what our future relationship with the EU will be. The pound has fallen to its lowest level in three years, investments are down 20%.

You may point to growth in wages as if that was anything to do with the EU vote, but that's sheer opportunism on your behalf.

What is utterly laughable, is someone like you who claims to be intelligent went on about exports improving without realising that the only reason they did so was because sterling has fallen.
    You honestly think that I did not know that it was because sterling has fallen, why else would you have been given a slow clap gif for it? Through the whole campaign we were told about how the vote was going to destroy the economy, we wouldn't be wating for actual exit for these terrible things to happen, it would be before the year was out, but I guess that's inconvenient given that the only short term prediction that has come true has been the blindingly obvious fall in the value of the pound.

Where is the revenge budget? Where is the recession? Where are all the city banks declaring they are moving to Paris and Frankfurt? We were promised a stock market collapse, where's that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You honestly think that I did not know that it was because sterling has fallen, why else would you have been given a slow clap gif for it? Through the whole campaign we were told about how the vote was going to destroy the economy, we wouldn't be wating for actual exit for these terrible things to happen, it would be before the year was out, but I guess that's inconvenient given that the only short term prediction that has come true has been the blindingly obvious fall in the value of the pound.

Where is the revenge budget? Where is the recession? Where are all the city banks declaring they are moving to Paris and Frankfurt? We were promised a stock market collapse, where's that?

No. We were not told the vote would cause an economic downturn, we were told that the leaving would.
    If businesses do move or relocate, it will be after we have left the EU and they know what our relationship is. If we stay in the single market there is no reason for many to leave. If we leave the single market and such industries face export tariffs, there is a far greater chance that they will leave.

As for the revenge budget, remind me which party's politician said that? As for the recession, again remind me which party that the Prime Minister who said that belonged to?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No. We were not told the vote would cause an economic downturn, we were told that the leaving would.
    If businesses do move or relocate, it will be after we have left the EU and they know what our relationship is. If we stay in the single market there is no reason for many to leave. If we leave the single market and such industries face export tariffs, there is a far greater chance that they will leave.

As for the revenge budget, remind me which party's politician said that? As for the recession, again remind me which party that the Prime Minister who said that belonged to?
    Except the Treasury expecting an immediate and severe downturn and recession, economists as an aggregate group saying there's a 50:50 chance of a recession in the 12 months after brexit. I'm also pretty sure Credit Suisse and Moragn Stanley couldn't revise their growth predictions from recession to growth if they weren't predicting recession in the first place, the same goes for the OECD, not sure how they can change their prediction from there being contraction in Q3&4 if they never predicted it in the first place. Even the IMF have joined the U-turn party now, going from recession to fastest growing G7 country, and note that this is with predictions of Q3 growth being about half what was expected if we voted to remain.

I'm not surprised the remoaners have started saying "yeah, our predictions were wrong, but we still have hope we're going to be right"
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Except the Treasury expecting an immediate and severe downturn and recession, economists as an aggregate group saying there's a 50:50 chance of a recession in the 12 months after brexit.

Remind me when we left the EU?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Remind me when those people were predicting the recession, oh yeah, forgot you had memory loss. I'll remind you, right now, not in two years, now. You know, the recession right now that they've all decided isn't happening? Yeah, all the forecasters have forgotten about it too and have returned to predicting not even one quarter of contraction, let alone 2.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The significant hit to growth does not come from Brexit, it comes from the uncertainty post-vote.

The treasury's worst case scenario was for GDP to decline 1.5% across 2017-2018 followed by growth around 0.3% lower each year out to 2030.

While i actually priced in a recession into my vote it does seem as though there's none coming.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.