What's worse being addicted to gambling smoking or drinking

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    In terms of finance? Probably having to raise money to fund for a life saving treatment for something. Being homeless.. etc.
    I know loads of people find it stupid but I think Gambling isn't that bad IMO. I even think you can win provided you have the right mind set. I quoted you Sean because I started finding gambling interesting after S1 and a bit of S2. What do you think about it? Also I am saying winning in terms of roulette 'luck' but using certain methods. Poker is both skill and luck tbh there was a test on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    I know loads of people find it stupid but I think Gambling isn't that bad IMO. I even think you can win provided you have the right mind set. I quoted you Sean because I started finding gambling interesting after S1 and a bit of S2. What do you think about it? Also I am saying winning in terms of roulette 'luck' but using certain methods. Poker is both skill and luck tbh there was a test on it.
    If you study maths or some parts of it, there is much deeper stuff that you can find on probability and gambling etc etc. Though you don't need to study it, you can just look at the results of it.

I don't have any experience but I'd think you can find strategies (in some situations) to make you more likely to win, if that's what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    If you study maths or some parts of it, there is much deeper stuff that you can find on probability and gambling etc etc. Though you don't need to study it, you can just look at the results of it.

I don't have any experience but I'd think you can find strategies (in some situations) to make you more likely to win, if that's what you're saying.
    I know I appreciate that. I know there is much more to S1 and S2 and how the gambling industry is worth billions.

I have used online simulators and I think people lose due to mind set. I think only 1% have the right mind set to win. Other stuff like poker blackjack requires more skill and maybe counting cards. It is really interesting especially when you look at certain cases gamblers fallacy and what not. Not to mention using hypothesis testing in certain scenarios.

ReputationRep:
    What if you can't help it, if your on benefits etc, trust me gambling just makes you and your family broke the bad thing is you don't realise the amount you waste
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    Gambling. It's the most selfish of the three. The harm you do isn't just to yourself but could put your whole family into debt, out of home, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say gambling as if you lose all of your money and end up borrowing more only to lose it, you will end up in serious trouble that could have long lasting effects. This kind of thing is more serious as it can turn people to crime as well as put them in bad favor with banks and other businesses for years after the final event. Drinking and smoking however aren't as bad from that standpoint.

ReputationRep:
    Gambling is very bad what if you lose like £30+ everyday, what if you play slots it's all down to pot luck, gambling gets in the way of everything you will fall behind on your bills etc
    (Original post by Emz99)

ReputationRep:
    Gambling is all about luck it's all fixed

ReputationRep:
    Gambling online is different from real life
    (Original post by Emz99)
    I know I appreciate that. I know there is much more to S1 and S2 and how the gambling industry is worth billions.

I have used online simulators and I think people lose due to mind set. I think only 1% have the right mind set to win. Other stuff like poker blackjack requires more skill and maybe counting cards. It is really interesting especially when you look at certain cases gamblers fallacy and what not. Not to mention using hypothesis testing in certain scenarios.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struggler07)
    Gambling is all about luck it's all fixed
    hmm ok the roulette wheel has had 2 blacks the chances of a third black is 1/8 meaning red is 7/8 odds in your favour just dont go crazy and have a right mindset

ReputationRep:
    Gambling online is different from real life
    how's it different? I understand its not real money. This is where mind set comes in

ReputationRep:
    They have different games etc and the people
    (Original post by Emz99)
    how's it different? I understand its not real money. This is where mind set comes in

ReputationRep:
    Still hard to win you have to bet loads to gain a profit
    (Original post by Emz99)
    hmm ok the roulette wheel has had 2 blacks the chances of a third black is 1/8 meaning red is 7/8 odds in your favour just dont go crazy and have a right mindset

ReputationRep:
    They have different games etc and the people
    Still hard to win you have to bet loads to gain a profit
    There is online roulette

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    A smoking addiction is fairly easily managed, and drinking will send you to sleep most of the time in non-dangerous circumstances
    Jesus wept...

ReputationRep:
    Your right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Jesus wept...
    What don't you understand? A gambling addiction is almost always going to result in much greater damage much more quickly than either smoking or drinking

ReputationRep:
    What don't you understand? A gambling addiction is almost always going to result in much greater damage much more quickly than either smoking or drinking
    I think actually it's what you don't understand.

Your post that prompted me to say 'jesus wept' , in case you missed it above, was

A smoking addiction is fairly easily managed, and drinking will send you to sleep most of the time in non-dangerous circumstances
    These are some of the most ridiculous claims I've read on TSR. And that really is saying something. Where in earth did you get the idea from that smoking is an addiction that is 'fairly easily managed'?!! And that drinking will 'send you to sleep'.. Have you got the first idea of the dangers of either smoking or alcoholism, or how difficult these are to quit/treat? And the question was not about 'which addiction will harm you the quickest'. The question the OP asked was "What's worse being addicted to gambling, drinking or smoking".

Don't work in healthcare, whatever you do!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think actually it's what you don't understand.

Your post that prompted me to say 'jesus wept' , in case you missed it above, was

These are some of the most ridiculous claims I've read on TSR. And that really is saying something. Where in earth did you get the idea from that smoking is an addiction that is 'fairly easily managed'?!! And that drinking will 'send you to sleep'.. Have you got the first idea of the dangers of either smoking or alcoholism, or how difficult these are to quit/treat? And the question was not about 'which addiction will harm you the quickest'. The question the OP asked was "What's worse being addicted to gambling, drinking or smoking".

Don't work in healthcare, whatever you do!!!!
    Smoking and drinking addictions are unlikely to cause as much damage as quickly as a gambling addiction is, and for most people are fairly forgiveable things that can be treated and from which they can recover quite well. Gambling addictions can completely destroy people's finances and families in a very short period of time and those effects are much harder to recover from. That is why it is worse being addicted to gambling than drink or cigarettes.

Smoking is 'easily managed' in that it is infinitely cheaper than a gambling addiction and is extremely unlikely to cause any serious adverse effects anywhere near as quickly as gambling.

Alcoholism is much the same. Though the short-term impact will be much worse than smoking and could result in losing a job, it is unlikely to place you in as much danger. It is not going to rob you of every penny you own and cause you to remortgage your house to fund it as often or anywhere near as quickly as a gambling addiction is. Someone can lose £100,000 in 10 minutes because of a gambling problem. They cannot smoke or drink £100,000 worth of booze in that time.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking and drinking addictions are unlikely to cause as much damage as quickly as a gambling addiction is. That is why it is worse being addicted to gambling than drink or cigarettes.

Smoking is 'easily managed' in that it is infinitely cheaper than a gambling addiction and is extremely unlikely to cause any serious adverse effects anywhere near as quickly as gambling.

Alcoholism is much the same. Though the short-term impact will be much worse than smoking and could result in losing a job, it is unlikely to place you in as much danger. It is not going to rob you of every penny you own and cause you to remortgage your house to fund it as often or anywhere near as quickly as a gambling addiction is. Someone can lose £100,000 in 10 minutes because of a gambling problem. They cannot smoke or drink £100,000 worth of booze in that time.
    And once again, for the last time, the OP didn't ask which of these would hurt you the quickest. He asked which was the worst, full stop.

ReputationRep:
    And once again, for the last time, the OP didn't ask which of these would hurt you the quickest. He asked which was the worst, full stop.
    How quickly an addiction develops and affects you is obviously part of how damaging it is.

If an addiction can result in you spending hundreds of thousands of pounds and making yourself homeless by selling your house in one week, but two other addictions are extremely unlikely to do this, that difference in the speed of development is a very important aspect of whether it is 'worse' than the other two or not.

Smoking and drinking are unlikely to cause problems anywhere near as bad as those caused by gambling for several years. In the case of cigarettes we are normally talking about decades. Their negative effects are almost always much more forgiveable in a person's life. Lots of people give up smoking and their lungs recover; lots of people give up drinking and become functioning individuals again. Lots of people recover from gambling addictions but how many recover their life savings, properties, families and solvency?

Additionally, gambling addictions are thought to cause mental health problems - 1 in 5 gamblers try to kill themselves, and many of those will be pushed to that resort by the money problems their habit has caused them.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.