Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DMX is only 45 years old Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I listen to him a bit. Not a fan of his new music at all but every so-often I listen to his old stuff.
    oh yh id assume so

Is that ur arm in ur avatar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    Is that ur arm in ur avatar?
    Yup Been training 4 years a bit on-and-off, the first couple of years I was very consistent but the last couple haven't been great.

ReputationRep:
    Yup Been training 4 years a bit on-and-off, the first couple of years I was very consistent but the last couple haven't been great.
    Oh, well it's like the 7 times the size of mine, no matter how much I eat I don't get fat :/ My metabolism's really high :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, well it's like the 7 times the size of mine, no matter how much I eat I don't get fat :/ My metabolism's really high :emo:
    Trust me dude, been there. I used to be like a twig lol, genuinely underweight on the BMI scale. Everyone can get fat, some of us just have to eat more than others to get there, trust me there too - I was always labelled that guy who eats what he wants and doesn't gain weight, but once I started trying to get 2500 calories a day I really struggled at first as it was a LOT for me to eat, but I put on a lot of muscle without really gaining any fat. After a couple of years of training and eating I tried out 3500 calories a day and I started putting on fat pretty damn quickly :rofl: Nowadays I'm big enough to bulk on 3500 a day without putting on fat too quickly, problem is now I have such a ridiculous appetite that I have to show restraint even on that, I could quite easily eat about 5000 calories a day and the 2500 a day that used to be so hard to get down my neck, would now leave me feeling so hungry :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Trust me dude, been there. I used to be like a twig lol, genuinely underweight on the BMI scale. Everyone can get fat, some of us just have to eat more than others to get there, trust me there too - I was always labelled that guy who eats what he wants and doesn't gain weight, but once I started trying to get 2500 calories a day I really struggled at first as it was a LOT for me to eat, but I put on a lot of muscle without really gaining any fat. After a couple of years of training and eating I tried out 3500 calories a day and I started putting on fat pretty damn quickly :rofl: Nowadays I'm big enough to bulk on 3500 a day without putting on fat too quickly, problem is now I have such a ridiculous appetite that I have to show restraint even on that, I could quite easily eat about 5000 calories a day and the 2500 a day that used to be so hard to get down my neck, would now leave me feeling so hungry :lol:
    Oh, damn.....well you've come a long way indeed

So I should just eat loadsssss? I've tried it but I just end up feeling sick and then I give up :/ I'm not sure how many calories I take in daily, but definitely not 2500 I'd assume

ReputationRep:
    So I should just eat loadsssss? I've tried it but I just end up feeling sick and then I give up :/ I'm not sure how many calories I take in daily, but definitely not 2500 I'd assume
    Depends really. If you're looking just to gain general weight, don't bother - most people with naturally skinny frames just end up "skinny-fat" if they just put some fat on, i.e. they'll get a belly and love handles and maybe a bit of a double chin, but everywhere else will stay skinny and they'll look awful. Whereas, if you're lifting and bulking, then yeah you need a calorie target and you need to stick to it as long as it's working.

ReputationRep:
    Depends really. If you're looking just to gain general weight, don't bother - most people with naturally skinny frames just end up "skinny-fat" if they just put some fat on, i.e. they'll get a belly and love handles and maybe a bit of a double chin, but everywhere else will stay skinny and they'll look awful. Whereas, if you're lifting and bulking, then yeah you need a calorie target and you need to stick to it as long as it's working.
    No effing wayy, the last thing I want is to be skinny and have a double chin :/

So in other words, with eating a lot I have to lift etc. if not I'll just get "skinny fat" right?

ReputationRep:
    No effing wayy, the last thing I want is to be skinny and have a double chin :/

So in other words, with eating a lot I have to lift etc. if not I'll just get "skinny fat" right?
    Pretty much. The aim really in the first year of training is just to eat at maintenance, so you're not gaining any fat but gaining muscle. A lot of people like to tell new guys to go right on the bulk and eat everything in sight, but it's honestly not necessary, you can gain muscle just fine and still keep your abs Then after about a year it's not gonna work like that anymore, in which case you'll need to start eating a few hundred calories over maintenance to keep gaining and accept a little fat gain as time goes on (then diet it off over the spring if you wanna look good for the summer haha).

It's a trial and error process, there are "macro calculators" online that will help you with an estimate but you just have to try it out and see how things are going after a couple of months. I pretty much lucked out, tried what was recommended and it worked a charm.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much. The aim really in the first year of training is just to eat at maintenance, so you're not gaining any fat but gaining muscle. A lot of people like to tell new guys to go right on the bulk and eat everything in sight, but it's honestly not necessary, you can gain muscle just fine and still keep your abs Then after about a year it's not gonna work like that anymore, in which case you'll need to start eating a few hundred calories over maintenance to keep gaining and accept a little fat gain as time goes on (then diet it off over the spring if you wanna look good for the summer haha).

It's a trial and error process, there are "macro calculators" online that will help you with an estimate but you just have to try it out and see how things are going after a couple of months. I pretty much lucked out, tried what was recommended and it worked a charm.
    And what if u stop after 1 yr? Do you just become really fat?

Oh, I'll take a look

And at what age did you like realise and start?

Btw, I appreciate ur lengthy responses , I feel bad that mine aren't as long as urs, but that's only coz I have A level homework :/

ReputationRep:
    And what if u stop after 1 yr? Do you just become really fat?

Oh, I'll take a look

And at what age did you like realise and start?

Btw, I appreciate ur lengthy responses , I feel bad that mine aren't as long as urs, but that's only coz I have A level homework :/
    Whether or not you get fat at any point in your life all depends how much you eat

As I say, I started about 4 years ago. I'm 6'2'' and had a lanky build, just decided one day that I wanna get bigger, did a load of reading and I was off

Don't worry about that mate, just answering your questions

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not you get fat at any point in your life all depends how much you eat

As I say, I started about 4 years ago. I'm 6'2'' and had a lanky build, just decided one day that I wanna get bigger, did a load of reading and I was off

Don't worry about that mate, just answering your questions
    Oh ok So when people say, "I can't get fat" They're just BSing, right?

I think I'm about 5'11", so u started when u were 22, I see, did it seem impossible at first?

And oh, pls tell me when I get annoying coz I've acc managed to annoy someone on here due to asking too many questions, don't want that to happen :/ Idk why I'm just really curious

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok So when people say, "I can't get fat" They're just BSing, right?

I think I'm about 5'11", so u started when u were 22, I see, did it seem impossible at first?

And oh, pls tell me when I get annoying coz I've acc managed to annoy someone on here due to asking too many questions, don't want that to happen :/ Idk why I'm just really curious
    Probably not intentionally, they just think they're eating loads a lot of the time when they're not, bigger picture considered

Not really tbh, my brother was training for a few years before me and he put on quite a bit of size. Thing is, he doesn't just train specifically to get big, he's a strength and conditioning coach for fighters now and that's always been his sort of thing, whereas I literally just train to build my physique. So at first I looked to him as to what I'd probably end up looking like, but as it turned out where I nailed my diet and just trained to get big, I ended up growing quicker than I thought I would initially, I'm quite a bit bigger than him now even though he's been training double the time Which just goes to show that it's not a case of doing any type of weight training and eating whatever, if you wanna get bigger the quickest way possible you have to commit to it.

Honestly mate it's cool, if the conversation was boring me I wouldn't be replying :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Probably not intentionally, they just think they're eating loads a lot of the time when they're not, bigger picture considered

Not really tbh, my brother was training for a few years before me and he put on quite a bit of size. Thing is, he doesn't just train specifically to get big, he's a strength and conditioning coach for fighters now and that's always been his sort of thing, whereas I literally just train to build my physique. So at first I looked to him as to what I'd probably end up looking like, but as it turned out where I nailed my diet and just trained to get big, I ended up growing quicker than I thought I would initially, I'm quite a bit bigger than him now even though he's been training double the time Which just goes to show that it's not a case of doing any type of weight training and eating whatever, if you wanna get bigger the quickest way possible you have to commit to it.

Honestly mate it's cool, if the conversation was boring me I wouldn't be replying :lol:
    Yh, that makes sense to me, when I say I eat a lot, I don't haha, I think I do, like rn I haven't had dinner coz honestly I dont feel like it, and if I stuffed myself I'd be on the loo rn

Oh, damn, yh I guess u were really committed indeed btw does it have anything to do with genetics? Like are your parents skinny? My dad's not fat but Idrk if he's "skinny" he has a bit of a belly though and my mum had only gained weight coz she got diabetes, before she was well slim I guess When I was born.

And haha fair point

ReputationRep:
    Yh, that makes sense to me, when I say I eat a lot, I don't haha, I think I do, like rn I haven't had dinner coz honestly I dont feel like it, and if I stuffed myself I'd be on the loo rn

Oh, damn, yh I guess u were really committed indeed btw does it have anything to do with genetics? Like are your parents skinny? My dad's not fat but Idrk if he's "skinny" he has a bit of a belly though and my mum had only gained weight coz she got diabetes, before she was well slim I guess When I was born.

And haha fair point
    Fair enough

To an extent they do. I mean, if you eat a certain amount over maintenance, then you're going to gain a certain amount of muscle if you're training well. On the other hand, skeletal shape and muscular insertions and so on play a big part - two guys could be the same height, weight and bodyfat percentage, but one could still look more muscular because of the way he's shaped. I'd say I have good genetics like that, I tend to look heavier than I am. I definitely inherited my shape from my dad's side - my mum's side are mostly built short and stocky, whereas my dad's side are mostly tall and slim.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough

To an extent they do. I mean, if you eat a certain amount over maintenance, then you're going to gain a certain amount of muscle if you're training well. On the other hand, skeletal shape and muscular insertions and so on play a big part - two guys could be the same height, weight and bodyfat percentage, but one could still look more muscular because of the way he's shaped. I'd say I have good genetics like that, I tend to look heavier than I am. I definitely inherited my shape from my dad's side - my mum's side are mostly built short and stocky, whereas my dad's side are mostly tall and slim.

Oh, well idk how my body shape is atm I guess lol idk haha, and same, my dad's side is slim and tall well my paternal grandma is quite short but my grandad is like big and tall My uncle's quite big too as in like he has fat on his arms, he don't work out though and my mum's side is just well my maternal uncle was tall but my mum is quite short indeed, idk it's just confusing, like my cousins aren't skinny at all, I'm just the odd one out :/

ReputationRep:
    time flies

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.