B1063 – Suspect Protection Bill 2016

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I think this although well intentioned goes too far. I suggest that no-one is named until actually charged and appearing in court, unless a judge grants an exemption. We would not know about Cliff Richard under such a Bill for example. The other thing I would like to see is the banning of any payment for a story about anyone accused of a crime or even convicted, at least for a period.

Those who leak such as South Yorkshire Police did about Cliff Richard deserve the proposed sentences though.
    I think this is a valid point

ReputationRep:
    I thought we couldn't possibly do this because victims of crime would not come forward if suspected criminals were protected?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible under this bill that a suspect can waive their right of anonymity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Is it possible under this bill that a suspect can waive their right of anonymity?
    It possibly isn't. Something to bear in mind for the second reading.

ReputationRep:
    PetrosAC barnetlad, the problem with your contention is that one of the primary reasons for this Bill is that being named as someone who had been charged with an offence often results in levels of public censure which are sufficiently bad to amount to punishment in themselves, which seriously affects the fundamental 'innocent until proven guilty' rule we have in our law (and, indeed, international human rights conventions).

ReputationRep:
    JD raises valid points, though it's nice to hear our bill is 'scarily sound' from the arch-critic himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    JD raises valid points, though it's nice to hear our bill is 'scarily sound' from the arch-critic himself.
    I was about to say exactly the same. I've raised my own concerns as the author knows but I think a second reading taking onboard JD's points could be a very good bill!

ReputationRep:
    Abstaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Abstaining
    Is there any point in you being an MP, you don't seem to do anything else, I guess seat warmers are needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is there any point in you being an MP, you don't seem to do anything else, I guess seat warmers are needed.
    Thank you, as always for your warm and compassionate commentary on my decisions. I welcome you to continue being miserable as you see fit. :kiss:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, as always for your warm and compassionate commentary on my decisions. I welcome you to continue being miserable as you see fit. :kiss:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And to think the Liberals once left a coalition with Labour because they thought Lab MPs were being rude to them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    And to think the Liberals once left a coalition with Labour because they thought Lab MPs were being rude to them...
    :rolleyes: this is about the third time this week now. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Why haven't you given up on government yet? I mean I know that the GE is imminent (3 weeks today) but surely it's not worth it?

ReputationRep:
    I, the paragon of politeness and civility, think the Tories should be held to those same standards.

ReputationRep:
    My main problem is that this would slow down conviction so much that the investigation is longer than the sentence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How would trial by jury work if the jury isn't allowed to know who the person is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    How would trial by jury work if the jury isn't allowed to know who the person is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This bill would still allow trials with juries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    This bill would still allow trials with juries.
    But either the person needs to have a paper bag over their head constantly or they can't be there at the trial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    But either the person needs to have a paper bag over their head constantly or they can't be there at the trial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They can be at the trial but they would not be allowed to release details of the suspect to anyone.

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.