Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Beats by Dre really that bad? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Decent headphones but you can get better ones for a cheaper price.

Sennheisers are the way to go.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-...00TKH1AMQ?th=1
    (you can check the 1.0 models out too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Bad quality for the price. yes
    Overpriced 100%
    flimsy kinda.

But the area is was talking about is stuff that people buy out of stupidity and lies.
    and apple are a even worse company.
    Lol, just because you cant afford one doesnt mean you can hate on it. I have an xps 13 and a pro 13 and my pro is much better thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fksociety)
    Lol, just because you cant afford one doesnt mean you can hate on it. I have an xps 13 and a pro 13 and my pro is much better thank you very much.
    You are greatly mistaken if you think I cannot afford one. I am just not stupid enough to waste my money.

ReputationRep:
    You are greatly mistaken if you think I cannot afford one. I am just not stupid enough to waste my money.
    Suit yourself. You're entitled to your opinion, even if you're just jumping on the hate macbook bandwagon
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    I'm looking to get a pair of over ear headphones after my beats solos broke recently. I had them for about 2 years and was really pleased so naturally I want to get another new pair. But after looking online it seems people are very against them. I know they are over priced due to the brand, but I don't know any other headphones that have as good quality or comfort. Any suggestions?
    Beats by Dre - A very expensive necklace worn by troglodytes who think random blurts of bass notes is music. Made of plastic and prone to snapping when actually used, they are considered useless for listening to music made by actual musicians. The fact you see them ever so "subtly" advertised in every popular music video of the past two years should be enough to prove they're nothing more than a branded fashion accessory.

Get something like these Audio-Technica ATH-M50xs or similar if you want a smaller headphone, they're far far better and not too expensive. They're also very robust, sturdy and portable. Not to mention they come with 3 different types of headphone cord.

ReputationRep:
    Suit yourself. You're entitled to your opinion, even if you're just jumping on the hate macbook bandwagon
    No i am quite justified in disliking apple and the mac. not just jumping on a bandwagon, disliking something does not mean you are on a bandwagon

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise bose headphones
    and I have had beats earphones which broke after about 6 months

ReputationRep:
    No i am quite justified in disliking apple and the mac. not just jumping on a bandwagon, disliking something does not mean you are on a bandwagon
    Your points are wrong though. It isnt flimsy at all, idk where you got that from. Overpriced is an opinion, which you havent justified and for the quality, it is not overpriced at all. It is very good quality, and given that its competitors are in a very similar price bracket, you cant possible say its bad quality.

I know you dont actually know much about the macbook, and yes, you are very much jumping on a bandwagon
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they really are a waste of money.
    http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2015...oure-an-idiot/
    In particular I draw your attention to the figure entitled "Why you're a moron for buying/considering Beats by Dre".

ReputationRep:
    Your points are wrong though. It isnt flimsy at all, idk where you got that from. Overpriced is an opinion, which you havent justified and for the quality, it is not overpriced at all. It is very good quality, and given that its competitors are in a very similar price bracket, you cant possible say its bad quality.

I know you dont actually know much about the macbook, and yes, you are very much jumping on a bandwagon
    It is rather flimsy and replacing parts or upgrading is near suicide.

Overpriced is not a opinion. You are paying £800+ for a logo and brand hype.
    Sure there are some other laptops in that range but they mostly have something really special or are hi spec. apple is not really high spec.

It is not great quality and you can get far far better for cheaper.

my hatered is disliked
    • Very Important Poster

Did he ever give us a budget? Bit pointless recommending £200 heapdhones if his budget is £30-50. Not all Sennheiser are good. He needs to but some appropriate ones for his budghet, intended use and take into account his source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Did he ever give us a budget? Bit pointless recommending £200 heapdhones if his budget is £30-50. Not all Sennheiser are good. He needs to but some appropriate ones for his budghet, intended use and take into account his source.
    Sorry my bad I forgot the budget. Around £150 but I'd go to £200 if there was one that stood out

ReputationRep:
    Sorry my bad I forgot the budget. Around £150 but I'd go to £200 if there was one that stood out
    Gofre
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    For around £150: Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
    For around £200: Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wired

To answer the question in the thread title, Beats aren't quite as bad as their reputation anymore, they've made some big improvements in their recent Solo and Studio releases. However the old models were all, without exception, garbage and the newer, better models are still inferior to similarly priced pairs from other brands.

The two pairs I've linked to above are both excellent for a sealed, portable headphone. I would say stretching for the Momentums is well worth the extra £30.
    • Very Important Poster

Honestly i'd read the reviews, then visit some of the reputable hi fi shops and trust your ears. The other advantage is you can also test them for things like comfort and weight, plus you get to see things like construction quality.

Imo you will most likely get something as good or a lot better for less money. If you know the model you want then ebay isnt bad if you have patience.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Gofre
    :hat2:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.