I attended one lecture in my entire 3 years of Uni and achieved a 2.1...AMA

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Suppose it all depends on what you're studying or how your course it set up?

Or you study online

Or you're shagging the lecturer.
    Ha, I wasn't doing the last. But, it's easier to get a good grade without attending lectures in an Arts degree. A lot of it is down to you to do the extra reading etc. Lectures just really provide you with the basic information on what you should be focusing on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    how does it feel knowing that you're in £27000 debt and you only attended one lecture
    It's not real 'debt'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Costalo)
    It's not real 'debt'
    that's one costly £27000 lecture

ReputationRep:
    Ha, I wasn't doing the last. But, it's easier to get a good grade without attending lectures in an Arts degree. A lot of it is down to you to do the extra reading etc. Lectures just really provide you with the basic information on what you should be focusing on.
    Oh arts degree lol

I failed one module for only attending twice and I do business mgmt bsc :noway:

now I'm in the sh*tshed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamplemousse.)
    Do you feel like standards at uni are really low and they don't fail people and give them higher grades than they deserve to get good stats? Do you feel it was actually your own achievement or just lower standards and pressure to give people good grades?
    I don't believe standards are low. There were modules in my second year where I did try quite hard and only achieved a 2.2. I strongly believe it's all down to your motivation. I knew students who attended 80% of the lectures and only achieved 2,2's. The time I didn't spend in lectures was spent researching online and reading extra material.

ReputationRep:
    did u do geography

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe standards are low. There were modules in my second year where I did try quite hard and only achieved a 2.2. I strongly believe it's all down to your motivation. I knew students who attended 80% of the lectures and only achieved 2,2's. The time I didn't spend in lectures was spent researching online and reading extra material.
    Fair enough, sounds like you were independent and hard working my dad is a uni lecturer though and he says there is a lot of pressure to give people grades higher than they really deserve and not to fail people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Why did you do Criminology after Biology?
    I realized Science wasn't for me. I wasn't really interested in it, and as a result did quite badly. I choose to study it mainly because it was a well respected degree. But, I'm glad I changed. I would have been quite miserable studying something I didn't really have a passion for.

ReputationRep:
    Dude everybody has a 2:1 these days, it's nothing to write home about.

It's like saying "I didn't train for the local 5k and ran it in 26 minutes".

ReputationRep:
    did you know that bananas are not actually a fruit ?

:holmes:*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    did you know that bananas are not actually a fruit ?

:holmes:*
    I did not know that. What are they then?

ReputationRep:
    I did not know that. What are they then?
    reptiles *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    reptiles *
    Mind blowing.

ReputationRep:
    I got a first in my first two years of uni and I would go to maybe 10-20% of lectures. There is this huuuuge controversy about skipping lectures as people think it makes you lazy and like you don't care about your degree. But going through the lecture and adding the presenter notes takes me 20 minutes for a 2 hour lecture, then I go through the reading and add that to my notes (I annotate printed handouts of the slides). Making the effort to get ready, 20 minutes into uni and then sitting in a lecture hall for 2 hours surrounded by 200 people is draining and would leave me with such a headache. I do quickly scan through lectures though to check they're simple and if they look complex then I will go to the lectures. I also make sure I'm going through the lectures at the same time that I would be sat in them which stops me falling behind.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.