Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M408 – Motion on Organised Running and other Fitness Activities 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Agree, but why not make an actual bill to prevent charging for certain events?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    agree but there should be a bill - motion is useless
    We are seeking the views of the House on this matter, and if the motion is passed will draw up a Bill.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about this. It's fine if you simultaneously increase funding to councils, but councils are terribly underfunded since the coalition government, so it's not unreasonable for them to ask for some payment for an organised activity which causes some wear and tear and does, at least to some extent, restrict the ability of others to use the park.

Having done some research, I think this is one of the fairer, more balanced articles: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-charge-runne/

I don't know anything about the law on the matter and cba researching, sorry Rakas21
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    We are seeking the views of the House on this matter, and if the motion is passed will draw up a Bill.
    aye then.

ReputationRep:
    I would abstain on this most likely, it would be better as a bill and I think we have seen before the house is not normally that concerned by motions which are used to sound out opinion. We can use second and third readings for that.

I would also abstain as I think TDA raises a valid point and I think this as a whole needs wider consideration
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Actually from what I remember the council said that the event could apply to the government for money to then pay it to the council, thus still making it free.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.