Tories to cut access for international students

ReputationRep:
    I dint have much of an opinion on this- however.

James Dyson argues that international students such as those from china will go on to use their British education (say in computer science) and use it against Britain and thus it goes against britains interests.

Anybody care to argue for or against this position?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

James Dyson argues that international students such as those from china will go on to use their British education (say in computer science) and use it against Britain and thus it goes against britains interests.

I agree with him. A lot of people don't really know much about Chinese education but it's very much doing things by route, not much thinking outside the box. Regimented. That's why they never invent anything or innovate. They mainly rip off Western ideas and succeed by doing it more efficiently/cheaper. It's this innovation advantage the west has that keeps us competing. If the Chinese had it too then say goodnight.*

ReputationRep:

I admire James Dyson for his innovations and success in business but he is making a fool of himself when he says these things.

Britain does not have an monopoly on science and technology and if students can't come to Britain to study, they will go to America, Canada or Australia where they will get the same standard of education as Britain besides being more welcoming.

International students are sought after by many countries because they bring a lot of money and brain power with them and its Britain's lost if the current government is so keen to appease racists that it drives away money and talent.

ReputationRep:
    This is a multi-billion industry and they want to say good bye to such good money? I believe this will be a non-starter as no chance someone can be that stupid.

Otherwise I can already see plenty of US, Canadian and Australian universities preparing to laugh all the way to the bank.

I think another reason this might be is that sometimes International students count towards net migration and they want to cut those numbers down so the cry babies on the right dont complain too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichardSkew)
    I think another reason this might be is that sometimes International students count towards net migration and they want to cut those numbers down so the cry babies on the right dont complain too much.
    This is 100% the reason and it's pathetic, short-termist and damaging. All this just to score an easy political win with people who don't care about the facts anyway and will simply move on to the next group they hate.

ReputationRep:
    The immigration figures paint everyone with the same brush. The foreign nurse is treated the same as the foreign benefits claimant who has not intention of working and just want the to get the most money from the taxpayer.

The people who want fewer foreigners would be the same people who are the first to complain when they can't see a GP or find a nurse because these foreigners can get work elsewhere and don't have to put up with xenophobia or low wages from a devalued pound.

ReputationRep:
    This country is becoming more and more ignorant and intolerant every day.

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    This is 100% the reason and it's pathetic, short-termist and damaging. All this just to score an easy political win with people who don't care about the facts anyway and will simply move on to the next group they hate.
    Exactly! You think if immigration is solved. Every single immigrant contributes to society, they will quit complaining? they will say they stole our jobs! Then if the immigrants didn't have jobs they will say they leech. If immigrants didn't exist they will blame something else that isn't them. **** the far right. Bunch of cry babies. everything and everyone with a brown skin colour offends them no matter what they do.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic to see the Tories move further to the right on immigration. I don't know why international students can't just go to university in their own countries? I mean you don't see any British students moving to China to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    Fantastic to see the Tories move further to the right on immigration. I don't know why international students can't just go to university in their own countries? I mean you don't see any British students moving to China to study.
    They go to university in another country that will get their money and the UK loses out of £7 billion per year and UK students have to pay more. Thats a great result if you want a poorer country with higher costs.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone considering a career in academia in the UK? Turn around quick it's not going to work.

Our universities are massively going to suffer as a direct result of this. We will no longer be a strong research country, this is exactly what many of us predicted regarding Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    Protectionism is left wing.

The issue is that the Tories are casually destroying one of our few world-class exports.

ReputationRep:
    Idiots like this are burning our country down. The revenue that universities gain from student immigration massively contributes to funding research ranging from Alzheimer's and cancer research to climate change and sustainable energy.

Not only will this decision stunt progression of this research which will have large impacts on the wider community, but it will also mean significantly less employment for British citizens.

You people are so, so short sighted. You've lit a match and are sat happily in your ignorance watching your house burn down. It would be quite hilarious if it wasn't for the fact that your stupidity is effecting others as well.

Well done. *Slow clap*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Stupid idea.

Why students are included in the main immigration figures i will never know.
    Maybe because they're immigrants? Why shouldn't they be included and subjected to the same persecution as their compatriots?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like an eminently sensible policy. Student visas are a notorious weak spot for illegal entry. And once here why would they leave?

We have had no appetite for forcibly removing bogus students/illegal immigrants so far, presumably it is racist or xenophobic or something. Hopefully that will start to change too.

The angst and howling at the moon from regressive soi disant "progressives" about the change in tone and policies on immigration to reflect just how deeply unpopular previous policies have been, and the public anger on the issue, is a delight to see. Delicious.

That cruel harsh fact is that no-one in power cares what you "progressives" think about this or anything else. In political terms you are utterly irrelevant unless and until Labour becomes electable.

And yet it never will be electable so long as it is in the grip of "progressives."

Quite a paradox.

So carry on whinging and moaning while we on the right sort out the immigration mess your failed and discredited policies led to. Including measures like this.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, you do... As well as other universities around the world. Fortunately, the fact that the UK has some of the best universities on earth means that plenty don't feel any need to look overseas. I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Well Brexit was largely built on anti-immigration rhetoric. Particularly concerning muslims, most of which aren't actually coming from the EU anyway. Rest assured there will still be large amount of immigrants coming into the UK, EU or elsewhere is doesn't matter. What happens when all the brainwashed fools in those swing seat areas find out that immigration numbers have barely changed at all compared to pre-Brexit levels, and there are almost as many muslims coming to the UK than there were before leaving? No chance they would vote tory.

The reason probably down to the fact that Brexit was based on many lies, including the granddaddy lie of immigration. What happens when all the people who gobbled up this lie like a Sunday roast realise that immigration was actually needed for the economy to do well and find out that the immigration figures barely changed as much as they were told?

However, just like the Nazi party, who the Brexit campaign were not unalike to, they need to fabricate the numbers to look like they are doing a good job. In the 1930s the Nazis took the Jews+others out of the unemployment stats, the figure went down and all was well. In the 2010s, the Tory party reduce the intake of international students to pull down immigration numbers.

At the end of the day, a big fat headline in the daily mail saying how immigration has fallen post-Brexit will get more votes in the next election that the economy doing better post-Brexit.

ReputationRep:

James Dyson, the same guy who has factories in the like of Asia as opposed to the UK? Surely that right there goes against British interests. Not that I want to get into an argument over that, just think it is slightly hypocritical to comment on Asia students being bad for Britain when your manufacturing hub is based in Malaysia.

As for the actual comment, it is a bit ridiculous. Firstly, in my experience at my uni, there aren't a great deal of Chinese students studying comp. sci, most of them do quantitative business degrees such as economics, finance etc

Secondly, even if there are a lot of them in other university STEM degrees, how is it bad for the UK? The UK is really strict on dishing out visas for them to work after they finish studying here, so most have to go home even if they don't want to. But how is it bad for the UK specifically? There are a lot of good study options in Asia (SG, MY, HK, Japan etc) as well as NZ and AUZ, nothing to stop them going elsewhere if the UK shuts its doors to the international students. There is nothing to stop them getting a good education elsewhere and using the same skills they could have got in the UK back in their homeland anyway. The only loss is the 15k per year per student that the universities in the UK will miss out on. And where will that go to? Probably to the competing Asian universities who are gaining in international rep. all the time or to north America.

ReputationRep:
    Just a question, does this have to go through Parliament first? Is there any possibility that a "sensible" parliament would turn it down?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.