Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's with Poland? Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longshot002)
    People are taxpayers, the UK needs more taxpayers to maintain its pensions and other spending. Since i'd rather the country remained Polish/British or wherever, the optimum solution is to increase the birth rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    People are taxpayers, the UK needs more taxpayers to maintain its pensions and other spending. Since i'd rather the country remained Polish/British or wherever, the optimum solution is to increase the birth rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galadrielll)
    We shouldn't dictate how other governments legislate their religious beliefs into law. We should respect their choices.
    No, just no. At least not in this case. More than 70% of the whole Polish population (and even more women) did not want the total restriction. It was a small Christian institute that entered the project into the parliament, not the government, although it was endorsed by it.

I know you don't want to be in the EU anymore but this is the perfect occasion for the EU to interfere with out government. It should thwart any dictatorship in construction and prevent member states from adopting fascist and fundamentalist ideologies.

But frankly, I would rather take those refugees and have a mosque built nearby than the catholic theocracy we are heading towards. It proves to me that nearly every religion is destructive if it's left with too much freedom to interfere with social and political aspects of a nation.

ReputationRep:
    You really think a ban on abortion would increase the birth rate? Women would still abort but it wouldn't be as safe. The richer would perform it in Germany or elsewhere, while the poorer would return to less humane methods. Also, there were only 1812 registered abortions in Poland in 2013. I don't think the ban would increase the birth rate by any visible margin. I honestly think there might even be a net deficit in demographics as some women would die in the process and a greater number would probably abstain from intercourse for fear of becoming pregnant. And I won't even discuss the economic costs associated with the ban (women could get up to 5 years jail time for a MISCARRIAGE).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Which shouldn't be done by banning abortion. Unless you want a massive increase in child benefits.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Which shouldn't be done by banning abortion. Unless you want a massive increase in child benefits.*
    In 20-30 years it pays for itself regardless of how much they get in child benefit (actually one of the things i oppose the least).

ReputationRep:
    In 20-30 years it pays for itself regardless of how much they get in child benefit (actually one of the things i oppose the least).
    The current child benefits in Poland are killing the economy. And the government actually won the elections by promising those ridiculously costly child benefits. They are so desperate now that they want to institute a mandatory state (propaganda) TV tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longshot002)
    prsom
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookiezi)
    The current child benefits in Poland are killing the economy. And the government actually won the elections by promising those ridiculously costly child benefits. They are so desperate now that they want to institute a mandatory state (propaganda) TV tax.
    I'm not sure Poland's economy is being killed by anything other than the fact that your population has not really grown for decades. Your labour force is not only not only being born but when it is born, it comes to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure Poland's economy is being killed by anything other than the fact that your population has not really grown for decades. Your labour force is not only not only being born but when it is born, it comes to the UK.
    It's true that Poles are flooding the UK which is due to the weak economy. But the economy had been steadily growing for the past few years, mainly due to EU funding. The current government is reversing the process. If you ever read something positive about the current economy, such as record-low unemployment, this is strictly the outcome of the previous government's regulations. But it's going to get even worse, for instance when they are going to ban trading on Sundays.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's true that Poles are flooding the UK which is due to the weak economy. But the economy had been steadily growing for the past few years, mainly due to EU funding. The current government are reversing the process. If you ever read something positive about the current economy, such as record-low unemployment, this is strictly the outcome of the previous government's regulations. But it's going to get even worse, for instance when they are going to ban trading on Sundays.
    More due to wages than the weak economy i think and that's more due to being with the USSR for decades.

Polish economic growth is not due to EU funding per say but rather because one of the carrots for EU membership is that you have to adopt a market economy. Poland has done especially well because it has not been afraid to embrace the market.

I had to do research on the Polish economy during my degree. There's a lot to like about it.

ReputationRep:
    More due to wages than the weak economy i think and that's more due to being with the USSR for decades.

Polish economic growth is not due to EU funding per say but rather because one of the carrots for EU membership is that you have to adopt a market economy. Poland has done especially well because it has not been afraid to embrace the market.

I had to do research on the Polish economy during my degree. There's a lot to like about it.
    It's both. Less qualified people perform seasonal work abroad and then return with remittances. More qualified ones are leaving Poland more permanently which is due to the economy being incompatible with their qualifications (because of the USSR) and it's coupled by the fact that a massive number of people are now graduating from universities and the economy is unable to adopt to it that fast. I think it also has something to do with polish mentality - an aftermath of soviet philosophy.

I don't know much about the mechanisms of a market economy though so I can't comment on that.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asterian)
    Why is the Polish government banning abortion? I thought that the total ban that's basically the minimum (only to save lives) couldn't be made even worse.

And yet the new christian government is making it even stricter, with total ban. Total total. As in 'raped 12 year old' total. Is anyone able to explain the madness?
    The polls (Poles) say that it is fine. I think.

OK, I just wanted to make that joke :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Although Poland is a very beautiful country, it is also very religious. In my Warsaw trips I usually meet native people and all of them are very religious. Even young ones are, so these Polish women who were striking against the abortion ban are extremely brave. It shows that world is really changing and religion will never be as important as it was many years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asterian)
    Why is the Polish government banning abortion? I thought that the total ban that's basically the minimum (only to save lives) couldn't be made even worse.

And yet the new christian government is making it even stricter, with total ban. Total total. As in 'raped 12 year old' total. Is anyone able to explain the madness?
    The current government was elected by a minority, though a disciplined catholic fanatic minority and people disgusted or dissapointed with the previous government of the Civic Platform. This government cosists of people of very particular kind, I have a very bad opinion of.

(Original post by Kyx)
    The polls (Poles) say that it is fine. I think.

OK, I just wanted to make that joke :lol:
    70% of Poles are against ban of abortion.

Abortion ban has nothing to do with increase of birth rate, at least not in Poland when the old legislation from 90ties said that abortion is legal only If woman's life is in danger, the pregnancy is an effect of rape, or when the fetus is incurably ill. The result of total abortion ban is actually the opposite: middle and high classes will be more reluctant to have children, in fear that they will not be allowed to have abortion when in risk of woman's life or when a fetus is defected.

(Original post by RugileRar)
    Although Poland is a very beautiful country, it is also very religious.
    It probably is in eyes of a citizen of western Europe. Officially over 90% of Poles are catholic, but actually only 40% goes to church. Most of people I know, even though they are catholic, don't care much about the doctrine, and atheists can be often met, though still we don't speak about it too much aloud. Not because we are afraid, but because we want to avoid additional problems and arguments.

Although Poland is a very beautiful country, it is also very religious. In my Warsaw trips I usually meet native people and all of them are very religious. Even young ones are, so these Polish women who were striking against the abortion ban are extremely brave.
    Extremely brave is to fight for for death against overhelming odds. Poland is not a Middle East. They were not in danger of any kind. The worst thing that would have happend to them, was to hear some insults from fanatics or low-lifes.

It shows that world is really changing and religion will never be as important as it was many years ago.
    I wouldn't be too sure. Generally I think that world is becoming more and more secular, but, in the XVIth century Poland was a European leader in terms of secularity and civil tolerance. This turned quite the opposite in the second part of the XVIIth century, and now we are, what we are.

It's true that Poles are flooding the UK which is due to the weak economy. But the economy had been steadily growing for the past few years, mainly due to EU funding. The current government is reversing the process. If you ever read something positive about the current economy, such as record-low unemployment, this is strictly the outcome of the previous government's regulations. But it's going to get even worse, for instance when they are going to ban trading on Sundays.

Ifyou ever read something positive about the current economy, such as record-lowunemployment, this is strictly the outcome of the previous government'sregulations.

None government in past tenyears or more have done much good to Poland's economy. Taxes and obligatoryinsurance are very bad for small business.

Moredue to wages than the weak economy i think and that's more due to being with theUSSR for decades.

That's true too. Add to this the fact that Germany is responsible for over 845bliions of dollars (2014 value) property loss, not to mention previous wars.The Second Northern War, "The Delunge" in the XVIIth century, causeddeath of 2-3 millions of people, and this was just one of many wars in thatperiod. Anyway, as a result eg. agriculture in 1800 in Poland was lessefficient than in 1654

Polish economic growth isnot due to EU funding per say but rather because one of the carrots for EUmembership is that you have to adopt a market economy.
    Exactly the opposite. Amarket economy was introduced during late 80ties and early 90ties reforms,(reforms of professor Zbigniew Messner, and after him Mieczysław Rakowski). Inthe 90ties this process was continued, but this was also the time of increasingregulations. It was much easier to start and run business in 1990 than in 2000.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.