Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unemployed with a First Class Degree. Feeling Post-Uni Depression Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, what degree do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dalifeman)
    Yeah well I turned them down for other reasons too such as them not being a cultural fit and what not
    Cultural fit? Can you expand on that?

ReputationRep:
    Don't post this on here man, plenty of trolls just trying to get a negative reaction.

ReputationRep:
    Plus, if you 'don't feel like a man' because you're not earning £3K more than you think you ought to be, then you've got a very shaky grasp on what it is to be a man. It doesn't come in a pay packet.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean, they weren't a cultural fit?
    • Very Important Poster

Really hope this is just a troll.

ReputationRep:
    M8 £25,000 is a really good salary for a new graduate. You sound like an entitled, ungrateful little sod to me.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't leave it too long. More than six months and your degree will be essentially worthless if you've been unemployed.

ReputationRep:
    Dear oh dear, yet another entitled graduate who thinks they can just waltz into a high paying job. And this one didn't even apply on time!

Students - you need to get your heads out of your backsides and realise that the world does not revolve around you.

ReputationRep:
    I recently graduated from university with First Class Honours - and that was definitely a high point in my life! It was something I was so proud of that I decided NOT to apply for graduate schemes and to go on holiday for the whole of August.
    Wow. You made the decision to doss about for a month and now you're wondering why graduate jobs won't take you seriously? What makes you think you're entitled to a 30K job if you can't be bothered to apply on time?

I enjoyed my holiday and came back to apply for jobs ONLY to find that most of the top companies stopped hiring grads. I tried applying for smaller ones and they have been offering me interviews. BUT I have been turning them down because I they are underpaying me - infact £24-25K! This really annoys me because I got a First Class Honours degree and a lot of my friends are starting at £30K at top companies.!
    If you're out of London then 25k is good, especially for someone as lazy as you. You don't start at 30k. You apply on time (for starters) and work your way up. Do you have any experience in the field you want to go into? Or any experience at all?

So now I am in this *****y lifestyle where nothing appeals to me. I have NO friends - YES NO FRIENDS! I AM A LONER AND WEIRD! NEVER HAD A GIRLFRIEND IN MY LIFE AND I SOMETIMES JUST WATCH LIFE GO BY
    What happened to the friends who were on 30k? Did they just stop existing in the space of a paragraph?

ReputationRep:
    Your priority is to get a job - it doesn't have to be one you'll stay in forever. Once you have a year or two of relevant experience you'll be much more employable elsewhere. On the other hand being unemployed for any length of time is going to make you less attractive to potential employers.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, what fields are you applying for? Do you mean you applied to graduate jobs for an immediate start? Most grad schemes open Sept-Oct for next year's intake, why not try again if that's what you really want? (granted, the top banks and consultancies will open early Sept or even August, but not all by any means). If you're not going specifically for a grad scheme, it's gonna be hard to get the salaries you want straight up.

ReputationRep:
    OP has yet to name their major but the industrial placement implies some kind of engineering?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.