The Student Room Group

Is STEP hard?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fleky6910
Thanks for your help, its much appreciated. STEP 2 have additional content? , I only need to sit one and get a 2. My maths is ok , I sat methods and applications of maths and got 2 A*'s. I'll be taing STEP 1 for sure now , thanks for clarifying stuff for me

STEP 2 has the same content I believe, the questions are just generally more difficult than in STEP 1, but if you're not going for Cambridge you can take any STEP so I'd just take STEP 1 as it's the easiest. Although I'd say getting A*A* in Maths/FM is easier than getting a 2 in STEP.
Original post by Bruhh
STEP 2 has the same content I believe, the questions are just generally more difficult than in STEP 1, but if you're not going for Cambridge you can take any STEP so I'd just take STEP 1 as it's the easiest. Although I'd say getting A*A* in Maths/FM is easier than getting a 2 in STEP.

Im going for LSE, Warwick , UCL and Imperial. I just wanted to take STEP as insurance or to gear myself. I'm either going to do an Economics or Economics and maths degree, maybe finance. . Cambridge only does economics and all 4 unis I want to go are better than cambridge for my particular field and cambridge doesn't offer economics and maths.Thanks for your time , its really appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bruhh
I honestly have no idea how long it'd take to learn them by self teaching, probably very dependent on you as an individual.

I got 3,3 on STEP 2/3, had some personal stuff right before STEP 2 so that brought that down a lot in my opinion but I had very very low hopes for the 1,1 I needed.

Well I'm already self teaching further maths lol and have completed D1 in 1 week and C1 in a week ahaha.

Well that's still a brilliant achievement honestly :smile: also believing in yourself is key as it's been proven you do slightly better if you're happy and believe in yourself!
Which uni was it for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Im going for LSE, Warwick , UCL and Imperial. I just wanted to take STEP as insurance or to gear myself. I'm either going to do an Economics or Economics and maths degree, maybe finance. Thanks for your time , its really appreciated.

I don't think any Economics degrees require STEP, some Economics and Maths might do but having applied to both UCL and Warwick myself last year they gave different offers based on with step or without step and I'd say the ones without step were easier to achieve.

Original post by DamnDaniel2
Well I'm already self teaching further maths lol and have completed D1 in 1 week and C1 in a week ahaha.

Well that's still a brilliant achievement honestly :smile: also believing in yourself is key as it's been proven you do slightly better if you're happy and believe in yourself!
Which uni was it for?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay that's pretty fast then! I did in my a levels just not for STEP. It was for Cambridge, I got an offer but didn't achieve the required STEP results.
Original post by Bruhh
I don't think any Economics degrees require STEP, some Economics and Maths might do but having applied to both UCL and Warwick myself last year they gave different offers based on with step or without step and I'd say the ones without step were easier to achieve.

Okay that's pretty fast then! I did in my a levels just not for STEP. It was for Cambridge, I got an offer but didn't achieve the required STEP results.

I don't think Ill apply for cambridge as I think LSE , warwick , imperial and UCL are better for the degrees I want to do and to eventually get into investment banking. Would you agree or say that I should apply for Cambridge?
I just saw STEP as insurance for warwick and UCL as they say if you get a 2 in STEP you can get A* A* A instead of A* A* A*.
Reply 25
I don't think Ill apply for cambridge as I think LSE , warwick , imperial and UCL are better for the degrees I want to do and to eventually get into investment banking. Would you agree or say that I should apply for Cambridge?
I just saw STEP as insurance for warwick and UCL as they say if you get a 2 in STEP you can get A* A* A instead of A* A* A*.

I can't really say whether you should or shouldn't its dependent on you, whether you have good enough grades etc. and most importantly whether you'd enjoy spending 3 years studying there.
Original post by Bruhh
I can't really say whether you should or shouldn't its dependent on you, whether you have good enough grades etc. and most importantly whether you'd enjoy spending 3 years studying there.

I'm quite sure I'll get the grades , I was saying if Cambridge was better than any on the unis I listed for my field.
Reply 27
I'm quite sure I'll get the grades , I was saying if Cambridge was better than any on the unis I listed for my field.

Well for maths I'd say its the best in the UK, I'm not sure about economics etc. but a good degree from any of those unis you've listed will help for IB.
Original post by Bruhh

Oh wow! That's incredible. Unlucky though but I'm sure you're still at an amazing uni doing maths :smile:

Is it possible if I could PM you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Oh wow! That's incredible. Unlucky though but I'm sure you're still at an amazing uni doing maths :smile:

Is it possible if I could PM you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm actually having a year out due to certain unfortunate circumstances.

Yeah sure man feel free to PM me
Original post by Bruhh
I'm actually having a year out due to certain unfortunate circumstances.

Yeah sure man feel free to PM me

Oh!? I hope whatever has occurred gets better soon :smile: does that mean you'll be reapplying to Cambridge or have you deferred your entry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Oh!? I hope whatever has occurred gets better soon :smile: does that mean you'll be reapplying to Cambridge or have you deferred your entry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I'm Cambridge material, I'm applying to Oxford and UCL which was my original backup.
Original post by Bruhh
I don't think I'm Cambridge material, I'm applying to Oxford and UCL which was my original backup.

Of course you're Cambridge material if you got an offer :smile:

Maybe you're more Oxford material and maybe the MAT will be better for you :smile:
I really hope you get in! Hopefully in a few months you can tell us you got an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest