Making my going on 7yr old laptop 'fast' again

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Open the whole thing physically and use anhydrous compressed air to remove all the dust in fans and heatsinks and the caked layer on top of every component.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    Ok great, I'll look more into the factory restore towards the weekend, I'll probably wait until the RAM arrives (Thursday) before trying anything.

And yeah, I wasn't planning on black binning it. I had a painfully boring case study on electronic waste last year :eek3:
    Excellent. I don't know whether the restore option in Windows 10 will restore it to windows 10 or windows 7 (though they are both good OSes and either one will be good enough for what you need) but definitely remember to back up anything important to an external drive before you do factory reset or reset via Windows.

Ha, didn't even know that they did case studies on electronic waste I always try and salvage things or sell things on, don't ever throw it out unless it's totally no good and won't work (though even faulty laptops can be sold on for spares etc).

ReputationRep:
    I'm now wondering if I would actually be better just upgrading the SSD on my chromebook and installing a version of Linux. The 4GB RAM is soldered on though, so it won't be an option to upgrade (not myself at least).

ReputationRep:
    Just stick the OS onto a SSD.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I decided to go ahead and just restore the old laptop anyway, so it would be ready for the ram arriving tomorrow.

It has been in the process of backing up onto my external. It was painfully slow (started around 2/3pm and it is only around 40% at 8pm).

I have ran into an issue, the screen saver would appear now and then, and now and then I'd put the display back to see what % was completed.

I just tried to check, and the screen stays black? Everything is still running including the backup process. If I shine a lamp directly onto the screen, I can actually see the display very faintly (it is as if the lights are at the dimmest possible), has my laptop overheated or what is going on?

edit:
    ffs, ****ing battery. Took out the charger and it was like switching a desktop off at the mains...
    what a waste of 6hrs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Excellent. I don't know whether the restore option in Windows 10 will restore it to windows 10 or windows 7 (though they are both good OSes and either one will be good enough for what you need) but definitely remember to back up anything important to an external drive before you do factory reset or reset via Windows.

Ha, didn't even know that they did case studies on electronic waste I always try and salvage things or sell things on, don't ever throw it out unless it's totally no good and won't work (though even faulty laptops can be sold on for spares etc).
    So I restored it (the alt+f10 to go to the restore options never worked as I had windows 10 on it, so I had to do it the windows 10 way) but it didn't go back to windows 7 (though I didn't clean the hard drive, maybe that was why). It seems to run ok, but I've only installed chrome so far. I'll be handling large data sets on excel and MATLAB, so I'm interested to see how it will cope with that. RAM never arrived though, apparently they sent it but it somehow got lost (amazon's fault they said). So won't know until next week for sure.

Well they don't really haha, it was a free choice case study on anything at all so long as it related to environmental policies. So I picked something vaguely tech related.

ReputationRep:
    So I restored it (the alt+f10 to go to the restore options never worked as I had windows 10 on it, so I had to do it the windows 10 way) but it didn't go back to windows 7 (though I didn't clean the hard drive, maybe that was why). It seems to run ok, but I've only installed chrome so far. I'll be handling large data sets on excel and MATLAB, so I'm interested to see how it will cope with that. RAM never arrived though, apparently they sent it but it somehow got lost (amazon's fault they said). So won't know until next week for sure.

Well they don't really haha, it was a free choice case study on anything at all so long as it related to environmental policies. So I picked something vaguely tech related.
    If you restored it through windows 10 it wouldn't have gone back to windows 7. All that does is run a fresh install of windows 10. Wipes everything else and runs the image again.

If you had a recovery partition of windows 7 that's probably been wiped now. You can check this by the "create and manage hard drive partitions"(can also be found via windows search next to the start menu).

Windows 10 should be fine. Like I said before check what is being used up thought the task manger )alt+ctrl+del and it should be one of the options) to see what's actually slowing.

Cleaning it out will help a lot if you're confident doing it.

ReputationRep:

I thought it would go back to Windows 10 if you did it via Windows 10, though that would help in regards to storage space, as it will get rid of the temporary files and any remnants of the old OS. If you wanted Windows 7 back, you'd have to do a full OS reinstall, via a Windows CD/DVD (and of course, your original product key).

The RAM upgrade will definitely help in regards to things like Matlab; have you asked Amazon what they are going to do in regards to finding your RAM that they lost?

Excellent; free choice case studies are good in that you can pick what you want; you don't have to do something that is potentially very boring! Tech related stuff is awesome :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have ran into an issue, the screen saver would appear now and then, and now and then I'd put the display back to see what % was completed.

I just tried to check, and the screen stays black? Everything is still running including the backup process. If I shine a lamp directly onto the screen, I can actually see the display very faintly (it is as if the lights are at the dimmest possible), has my laptop overheated or what is going on?

edit:
    ffs, ****ing battery. Took out the charger and it was like switching a desktop off at the mains...
    what a waste of 6hrs
    Won't be overheating; if it was overheating then it would just shut off the laptop and not do anything. You'd also hear the fan blow loudly beforehand, in an attempt to blow away the hot air... Core Temp would confirm that.

Have you got the brightness options set correctly, particularly when on battery power? Should be able to adjust the screen brightness under Power Options.

Also, does your battery hold a charge at all or is it completely kaput? If it won't hold a charge, best bet would be to go back to Amazon and get a new battery

ReputationRep:

the ram should be insured. you should ask amazon for a full refund okay? and as long as you can provide a purchase receipt they will help you get a refund okay?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it would go back to Windows 10 if you did it via Windows 10, though that would help in regards to storage space, as it will get rid of the temporary files and any remnants of the old OS. If you wanted Windows 7 back, you'd have to do a full OS reinstall, via a Windows CD/DVD (and of course, your original product key).
    The RAM upgrade will definitely help in regards to things like Matlab; have you asked Amazon what they are going to do in regards to finding your RAM that they lost?
    Excellent; free choice case studies are good in that you can pick what you want; you don't have to do something that is potentially very boring! Tech related stuff is awesome :yep:
    I did back it up before I restored it, so I have an external hard drive with all my old stuff, but to be honest I don't think I want to go back to windows 7 now that I'm used to 10.

It was from a 3rd party seller, I contacted them and they told me they would send another and in the mean time find out what happened. Whether they did or not I can't say for sure. I'm pretty sure the guy I spoke to said something about an order just coming in (he wasn't making much sense), so maybe they were out of stock and just blagged an excuse to cover themselves. If it isn't here on Monday I'll probably just cancel the order and buy one from Crucial, then get a refund from amazon.

ReputationRep:
    Solder on a new cpu, plug in a new ssd, add in new ram and maybe just buy a new laptop?

ReputationRep:
    Won't be overheating; if it was overheating then it would just shut off the laptop and not do anything. You'd also hear the fan blow loudly beforehand, in an attempt to blow away the hot air... Core Temp would confirm that.

Have you got the brightness options set correctly, particularly when on battery power? Should be able to adjust the screen brightness under Power Options.

Also, does your battery hold a charge at all or is it completely kaput? If it won't hold a charge, best bet would be to go back to Amazon and get a new battery
    I've not actually tried it out. But certainly if it is doing anything that is using a lot of power (such as restoring it the other night) and the cable falls out it will switch off right away. It is basically kaput really.

I'm just waiting to put the RAM in an see how it performs, if all goes well I will get a new battery. If it isn't all that great, I'm thinking of getting a new SSD for my chromebook and installing Linux on it.

(Original post by Gatewaymerge)
    Solder on a new cpu, plug in a new ssd, add in new ram and maybe just buy a new laptop?
    Really don't want to be messing around with a soldering iron, beyond my skillset really. For my electronics project last year my soldering let me down, as soon as it came to soldering the actual PCB (which is ruined couldn't be replaced in time) my hand would start to shake under the pressure. I know the same would happen if I was soldering expensive equipment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    the ram should be insured. you should ask amazon for a full refund okay? and as long as you can provide a purchase receipt they will help you get a refund okay?
    yeah I'll contact them on Monday and should get it sorted out. I'm not sure what the problem was at all. I really just wish I had my RAM installed by now to be honest

ReputationRep:
    I've not actually tried it out. But certainly if it is doing anything that is using a lot of power (such as restoring it the other night) and the cable falls out it will switch off right away. It is basically kaput really.

I'm just waiting to put the RAM in an see how it performs, if all goes well I will get a new battery. If it isn't all that great, I'm thinking of getting a new SSD for my chromebook and installing Linux on it.

Really don't want to be messing around with a soldering iron, beyond my skillset really. For my electronics project last year my soldering let me down, as soon as it came to soldering the actual PCB (which is ruined couldn't be replaced in time) my hand would start to shake under the pressure. I know the same would happen if I was soldering expensive equipment.
    In which case, you definitely will need a new battery They are usually fairly cheap on Amazon; sometimes you can get a 9-cell or 12-cell, which will give a longer runtime

Yep, try putting some more RAM in and see what happens I don't really like Chrome OS (as there isn't really any apps for it that you can download onto the device) so putting Linux on it may be a good idea

I know how to solder, but that's because I've been doing electronic engineering for the past 3 years

ReputationRep:
    If any program you use has a Linux version of it, I'd ditch Windows completely and install Ubuntu (or maybe even Mint) as Windows has become very resource intensive in later versions, and the slowness is clear with older, lower-spec hardware.

I have a 6 year old Samsung netbook with an Intel Atom @ 1.66GHz and 2GB RAM, and to get it to run Windows 10 even slightly smoothly I have to turn off all transparency options and have the performance settings at "Adjust for best performance". Everything looks ugly. And even then it still lags when opening the start menu and using File Explorer. The only reason why i haven't got Ubuntu is because I need Windows for some programs I need to have for my studies. Though it is better than when Windows 7 was on it, it was so slow it was practically unusable.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.