Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Is it ever right or socially acceptable to snitch?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like this neighbour is not your friend.

Also, this isn't snitching.

If someone wrecked your car or robbed your house, do you want everyone to stay hush hush to avoid "snitching"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Snitches get stitches.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy for people to comment there opinions on here, cause they've never been in your position

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What about the person whose car has been damaged? Why doesnt your friend have the decency to leave the details so a claim can be made on insurance.
    Looks like hes failed to stop at the scene of an accident, which is a criminal offence.

Btw you contradict yourself by saying he did damage and then he didnt.

Saying he can claim it on insurance, conveniently excuses the fact he has done damage and will cost this man extra money.

You really are a bonkers poster ambitious I can see why you are always pleading for Assad and Isis.
    He's 19 and it would cost him a fortune in future insurance premiums if the claim was made from his insurance he's already paying a fortune in insurance with 1 years no claims. The people that own the damaged car are probably minted anyway.

Perhaps if they parked their car more carefully at night it would not have been struck.

They should just let time pass and it will all be forgotten about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coerce)
    It's easy for people to comment there opinions on here, cause they've never been in your position
    That is your opinion but you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you shouldn't snitch when it comes to minor things like a person dogging school but this guy hit someone's car and thinks it's acceptable to get away with it. Your friend should've owned up and apologised instead of being a coward. Obviously I wouldn't snitch if it was my friend but I would encourage him/her to own up and apologise but this person doesn't have any relationship with your friend so he/she can do whatever they want. Perhaps the neighbour is a good friend with the car owner as well, so why wouldn't they tell the car owner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceHarrys)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    That is your opinion but you are wrong.
    Ooooo gangster

(Original post by Ambitious1999)
    He's 19 and it would cost him a fortune in future insurance premiums if the claim was made from his insurance he's already paying a fortune in insurance with 1 years no claims. The people that own the damaged car are probably minted anyway.

Perhaps if they parked their car more carefully at night it would not have been struck.

You really dont get it.

1. Crime failed to report an accident.
    2. He has damaged someone elses property, which will cost them money.
    3. You are making excuses for that,
    4. Your attitude is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have. I stayed and fixed the problem like most adults would. If it was as minor as OP claims it's not going to break the bank.

ReputationRep:
    But the point is the car that got hit could be fixed on the owners insurance, in any case the people that live in that street have money. Our friend doesn't have a lot of money, but he's a good lad and was a bit distracted when he hit the car. They'd just come back from a birthday party there was a lot of banter in the car and it was dark outside. He never wanted to dent the other car he didn't see it.
    It wasn't until the next morning it dawned on him when he saw the front of his car s*** what have I done lol? But time is water under the bridge I guess all be forgotten about in a few weeks he thinks until some nosy Parker gets involved.

But you can see the witness snitching is like they have something against him when he did no harm to them.
    Many of us were brought up not to snitch on the estate and in any case what reward is there for snitching except creating hostility? Nice people get on with one another not tell tales.
    Insurance is not so you can hit the car and run off. Why should the owner of the car have to claim it on insurance? That could ruin a no claims bonus, and forces the owner to make a claim. Not to mention why should the owner of the car be put out to make the claim in the first place when they did nothing wrong? Insurance exists so that people who haven't done anything wrong don't get done over when something happens to them. Insurance is not there so you can hit someone's car, safe in the knowledge you don't have to pay for it.

So not having a lot of money and being distracted make it okay? He's a good lad so it's okay? You know what this reminds me of? Rape stories you hear on the news. X athlete is really good at their sport, they're a good person and the rape was a one time mistake so they get a slap on the wrist.

Your friend is in the wrong here. I don't care whether there was banter in the car and he got distracted. Nobody will care. He has done something wrong. What if that had been a child? What if he had committed manslaughter? Oh it's alright because he's a good lad and there was banter because they were at a party?

This is not a matter of snitching or telling tales. As I metioned before your friend is in the wrong, and potentially broke the law. The neighbour should not even be threatening you, they should just go to the police. And if your friend shares the opinions that you're posting here then they clearly aren't mature enough to be in control of a vehicle.

I actually can't believe that your opinion here is:

It's somehow alright because your friend is a good person and it was an accident
    The insurance of the guy he hit will cover it so no problem
    The neighbour is somehow at fault for having evidence and you think he has something against your friend
    It's somehow alright because it'll all be forgotten in a few weeks

If that's how you've been brought up then I'm afraid there's some issues in your upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    But the point is the car that got hit could be fixed on the owners insurance, in any case the people that live in that street have money. Our friend doesn't have a lot of money, but he's a good lad and was a bit distracted when he hit the car. They'd just come back from a birthday party there was a lot of banter in the car and it was dark outside. He never wanted to dent the other car he didn't see it.
    It wasn't until the next morning it dawned on him when he saw the front of his car s*** what have I done lol? But time is water under the bridge I guess all be forgotten about in a few weeks he thinks until some nosy Parker gets involved.

But you can see the witness snitching is like they have something against him when he did no harm to them.
    Many of us were brought up not to snitch on the estate and in any case what reward is there for snitching except creating hostility? Nice people get on with one another not tell tales.
    Oh, yes, the 'estate mentality' - where it's OK to **** your neighours over, especially if they don't conform to your estate mentality.
    I was burgled not long ago. I'm a pensioner and have a grandson who lives with me and goes to college. I saved up and bought him a new laptop for his IT course. Everyone round here knew who did it, but no one wanted to snitch on them. Don't you just love the estate mentality. Thick or what!

ReputationRep:

Care to reply to point in the Diane Abbott thread sir? Or do you lack the evidence to back up the claim you made there? (as I suspected)

Also, your friend is reckless, committed vandalism (even if it was unwittingly) and should pay a fine or do community service to learn his lesson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeGuyHere)
    The idea that someone is a "snitch" is actually rather childish.
    That's what I was going to say. This discussion immediately reminded me of school when kids would tell other kids not to "grass" on someone who did something wrong. So stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    minor things like a person dogging school
    Dogging at school is not minor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Oh, yes, the 'estate mentality' - where it's OK to **** your neighours over, especially if they don't conform to your estate mentality.
    I was burgled not long ago. I'm a pensioner and have a grandson who lives with me and goes to college. I saved up and bought him a new laptop for his IT course. Everyone round here knew who did it, but no one wanted to snitch on them. Don't you just love the estate mentality. Thick or what!
    Very much so. Completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeGuyHere)
    Yes I have. I stayed and fixed the problem like most adults would. If it was as minor as OP claims it's not going to break the bank.
    I thought he was referring to his mate, who personally I'd push for him to fix it, rather than snitching. Any hows what would you have done if something was expensive and would break your bank'

ReputationRep:

Tough ****ing ****. This is exactly why insurance premiums are so high for young people. Because of idiots like your friend that are more likely to cause accidents.

I'm betting the person who parked the car was not in the wrong. If that had somehow parked wrong then you'd have done more than clip it. And if you could actually justify them parking wrong why would you not own up? Because if it's justifiably their fault it's a completely different matter for the insurance companies to sort out.

No they shouldn't. Your friend is basically a criminal. What about this is so hard to understand?

ReputationRep:
    Snitch?

A word used by the imbeciles

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought he was referring to his mate, who personally I'd push for him to fix it, rather than snitching. Any hows what would you have done if something was expensive and would break your bank'
    I do believe that as the value or severity of the problem increases the odds of owning up also increase. Personal guilt is higher. For example you might not own up for something minor like breaking a plate but you're more likely to own up to something major like breaking a window. It's the whole "guilt eats you up" thing.

But regardless if you were in that scenario where it would actually have a substnatial financial impact on you do you really want to risk even more severe consequences by not owning up and later being found out? In that scenario you're better off owning up and hoping you get off lightly as a gesture of goodwill. But ultimately no matter how major the thing is you'd still be at fault. That is the responsibility you take by doing whatever it is you're doing (in this case driving a car).

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.