Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I mention my political beliefs in personal statement Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just say you have done these things for a UK political party.

ReputationRep:
    Like other said, don't mention specific political leanings.
    However, using the experience is fine. Missing out useful info will be a waste!
    Throughout all my interviews etc I've used examples from my political work, just never explicitly named it. e.g. I worked doing web design using HTML etc etc for a political party etc.... or in my case I said I ran large scale events, meetings and campaigns within my political work.
    If they're that dedicated, I'm sure they'll look it up but it's not necessary to mention names etc.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by njharris97)
    Thank you for all your replies. It's all been very useful. Although I should mention that when I said web design I include creating such as HTML/CSS/PHP and all that.

Thanks again.
    That's still the sort of work that would usually be done by graphic designers.

It's not a great experience for compsci.

http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/un...th_Notepad..22

ReputationRep:
    You could just say that you have carried out web design for a well-known political party in the United Kingdom, they'll totally understand you not wanting to share your political views on your PS - political views are personal and you have every right to have whatever political view you want. Also even if it did somehow come out to the university that you designed websites for UKIP it wouldn't necessarily mean you're actually a UKIP supporter, I helped design websites for my friend's photography company but I have no interest in photography, so as I said I'd definitely say the website thing but it's none of their business what your political views are

Ps I have nothing against UKIP supporters, not my cup of tea politically but each to their own - that is democracy after all! But I just wouldn't mention ANY political party in a personal statement by name as it could sway the reader if they were an avid supporter of another party

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.