OCD Awareness Week 2016 (9th-15th October)

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Love this! Looking forward to everyone's posts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Love this! Looking forward to everyone's posts
    PRSOM
    Thanks for taking an interest in the thread! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Great work here Spock's Socks!

On tips and talking about OCD (day one)...

As much as this may seem like a pesimists view it's only realism based on my experience anyway... There will undoubtedly be people who will at the very least roll their eyes at your problems and you might be dissapointed to find that they're people who you're close to. The way to deal with this is not to hit it head on but first to look after yourself and make sure you're receiving the professional support you need before becoming an activist fighting for a sinking ship ... Once you're confident that you know you have that support address the people in your life that don't understand and as a result make things even more difficult for you.

Explain that whether they like it or not your behaviour and compulsions are something that you can't help and you're trying to work on. The least they can do is try not to get frustrated and annoyed because it's not any more frustrating or annoying as feeling so strongly compelled to carry out the compulsions at every trigger. And also unless they're awful people, they wouldn't begrudge someone for a physical illness or disability so don't be the person to do that for people with mental health issues either, because they can in many ways be just as debilitating. And show them the lengths you're going to to challenge yourself... because I'm pretty sure they can see the distress it's causing you so no explanations needed there!

Happy stigma busting!
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Great work here Spock's Socks!

On tips and talking about OCD (day one)...

As much as this may seem like a pesimists view it's only realism based on my experience anyway... There will undoubtedly be people who will at the very least roll their eyes at your problems and you might be dissapointed to find that they're people who you're close to. The way to deal with this is not to hit it head on but first to look after yourself and make sure you're receiving the professional support you need before becoming an activist fighting for a sinking ship ... Once you're confident that you know you have that support address the people in your life that don't understand and as a result make things even more difficult for you.

Explain that whether they like it or not your behaviour and compulsions are something that you can't help and you're trying to work on. The least they can do is try not to get frustrated and annoyed because it's not any more frustrating or annoying as feeling so strongly compelled to carry out the compulsions at every trigger. And also unless they're awful people, they wouldn't begrudge someone for a physical illness or disability so don't be the person to do that for people with mental health issues either, because they can in many ways be just as debilitating. And show them the lengths you're going to to challenge yourself... because I'm pretty sure they can see the distress it's causing you so no explanations needed there!

Happy stigma busting!
    :hugs:
    Thanks!

Thank you so much for your reply :hugs:
    I 100% agree with everything you've said and as you know, I've ran into people like you describe and sadly a lot of the time it is those close to you who often let you down and don't help

Looking forward to any other posts you make over the week! Feel free to post any time :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Thanks!

Thank you so much for your reply :hugs:
    I 100% agree with everything you've said and as you know, I've ran into people like you describe and sadly a lot of the time it is those close to you who often let you down and don't help

Looking forward to any other posts you make over the week! Feel free to post any time :hugs:

PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    All by myself with a little reading from OCD-UK

Thanks! That would mean a lot to me :hugs:
    If you're able to make one of the later days in the event as a separate thread, that'd be brilliant from a 'getting the CT to publicise it' way, just so it isn't the same thread up on multiple days

Honestly though, this is incredible work. The fact you're doing this off you're own back too is just yeah. I've run out of superlatives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    If you're able to make one of the later days in the event as a separate thread, that'd be brilliant from a 'getting the CT to publicise it' way, just so it isn't the same thread up on multiple days
    Yeah that would be fine, just tell me when/what topic you would like to be a separate thread and I'll be more than happy to do it

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM!

Been recently diagnosed myself, I thought it was all just part of my anxiety for quite some time but the more I read, I realised I probably had OCD too and eventually got diagnosed. I find that talking to people about it is all about catching them in the right frame of mind tbh. When you're already sitting together and shooting the breeze is always the best time as it then becomes just another point of discussion, rather than this thing that you want to talk about when they've got better things to do.

People are quite surprised when I tell them as they expect someone with OCD to be super-tidy and I'm not :lol: I used to be and usedto get anxious when people moved my stuff and things got out of place, but I slowly just allowed a bit of mess into my life and I'm a lot more relaxed about it now. So this is one of the first things I address and also point out that OCD doesn't automatically mean being ridiculously tidy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    PRSOM!

Been recently diagnosed myself, I thought it was all just part of my anxiety for quite some time but the more I read, I realised I probably had OCD too and eventually got diagnosed. I find that talking to people about it is all about catching them in the right frame of mind tbh. When you're already sitting together and shooting the breeze is always the best time as it then becomes just another point of discussion, rather than this thing that you want to talk about when they've got better things to do.

People are quite surprised when I tell them as they expect someone with OCD to be super-tidy and I'm not :lol: I used to be and usedto get anxious when people moved my stuff and things got out of place, but I slowly just allowed a bit of mess into my life and I'm a lot more relaxed about it now. So this is one of the first things I address and also point out that OCD doesn't automatically mean being ridiculously tidy.
    PRSOM

Awww sorry to hear you have it too welcome to the club though
    if you ever need to talk or rant, ya know where I am

People are shocked when they hear I have OCD too because I live pretty much in a pig sty and I'm not grossed out with germs or anything like that but it just goes to show that OCD isn't what most people think it is. That's why its good we all talk about it :yep: I was always OK with mess but I am very rigid with things like routine and change.

Thanks for opening up about OCD and feel free to post throughout the week with the other topics relating to the condition

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that would be fine, just tell me when/what topic you would like to be a separate thread and I'll be more than happy to do it
    Thursday/Friday? You choose

Tomorrow is World Mental Health Day and the ST are working behind the scenes for a thread/threads on that so 'hopefully' they'll get promoted tomorrow.

I'll nag and nag the CT to promote this on Tuesday and afterwards nag some more on Thursday/Friday to promote that thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    Thursday/Friday? You choose

Tomorrow is World Mental Health Day and the ST are working behind the scenes for a thread/threads on that so 'hopefully' they'll get promoted tomorrow.

I'll nag and nag the CT to promote this on Tuesday and afterwards nag some more on Thursday/Friday to promote that thread
    I think Friday would be a good topic to make a separate thread on since media has portrayed OCD wrongly so many times and I think that has influenced people's beliefs on what OCD actually is.

If you guys need any help with any upcoming topics, just give me a shout any time I enjoyed making this thread today and I am really happy at how well it has been received and that many people are following and contributing to it

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed with OCD at 16; but it's one of those things, looking back, that I've had much longer.

And yes, I do fit the horrible and frustrating stereoptype of hand washing. For me, it's nothing to do with germs though. It's to do with my hands feeling dirty. I also find that it gets worse if I get stressed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be out for most of the day tomorrow and might be knackered when I get home so I'll make my day 2 post now just before I head for an early night since I have already posted in detail about my own experience, I'll most likely copy some parts of my blog that are relevant to this topic.

Topic 2 - Sharing a first-hand experience of OCD

You always hear people say they remember their first kiss, their first time drunk, their first time having sex - all the kind of common milestones but with me, its more that I remember the first time I experienced my first touch of OCD, my first panic attack and things like that.

When it first started in primary school
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My first experience with OCD came at primary school. We got a lecture one day from the head master as they were fears that teens were trying to offer drugs to kids and we got a lecture about we must not take to strangers and they gave us a sheet with pictures of drugs on them and one that stuck out to me was LSD. I looked at it and felt sick and felt like there was something running through my veins and it could drug me or poison me and I was only in primary 2 at this time so I was about 6 and I had the need to run to the toilet and scrub my hands with hot water and soap and eventually a teacher came after me and saw what I was doing and I broke down saying "its on me, I can't get it off me!" and she ended up calling my mum and my mum came and got me. Everyone thought it would be an once off but it then happened with things I touched - I would assume it had LSD on it, I would accuse my mum of trying to drug me and I wouldn't eat, I would walk around with wet wipes cleaning the house and bear in mind, I was a child at this point. It got to the point I was referred to a child psychologist and that is when I first got told I had OCD. My mum decided that therapy would be the best thing at that age. I also had severe health anxiety from that age and upwards which was also classed as OCD. I was constantly checking my body for signs of illness, checking my pulse, checking my weight, reading up my papa's medical journals. I done this for hours upon hours every day. I was also a very rigid child and any change to my routine or plans caused me great anxiety.
    When OCD flared up again badly as a teenager
    Spoiler:
    Show

The contamination fears came back full swing (before that it was mainly magical thinking and health worries. OCD was always there to an extent every day) when I was at the hospital with my gran one day and I was about 15/16 and I was bored waiting on my papa to come out from his appointment so I read a pamphlet and it was about drugs and within 2 seconds of touching it the familiar fears of "you've got drugs seeping through your skin now and its going to kill you", "scrub your hands or it'll harm you" and all those kind of thoughts screamed through my head and I ran to the toilet at 100mph and scrubbed for about 15 mins straight and my skin was starting to crack. All that washing never helped my anxiety. I felt a sinking feeling in my gut because I knew it was back and from that day, it hasn't went away since.
    When I was at my worst (Oct 2015)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Last year was when it was at its worst I would say. LSD has always been my biggest contamination fear though I am scared of anything that can make me die, get sick, lose control and anything like that. At my worst last year, I lost 2 stone from not eating for fear everything was laced. I accused my boyfriend of trying to poison me and physically lashed out at him for it, I was paranoid people had put poison on my door handle so that if I touched it I would get ill so I wouldn't leave the house because then I wouldn't have to touch the door handle, I couldn't take meds because I was paranoid they had been laced in the factory so I couldn't even take a painkiller if I was in extreme pain, I was suicidal and I spent hours reading on what could destroy LSD. I later discovered that chlorine in tap water destroys LSD on contact so I used to carry a spray bottle in my bag and spray anything I was going to eat or touch with it. I looked like an idiot but it was the only thing that helped me with my nerves. One of the craziest thoughts I had was that a pair of jeans of mine had cocaine on them. Other than weed and booze, I have never been around drugs in my life. I done weed once and it made me paranoid and I never touched it since and I drink maybe twice a week but I don't get drunk, just merry. So my grey jeans had a faded white mark on them and I could tell it was just faded denim but my brain kept saying "no its cocaine and you've touched them" so I washed them 10 times before I felt comfortable enough to wear them and had to go for a bath whenever I touched them when taking them in and out of the washing machine. I also suffered from and still do from magical thinking. Here is a good way of describing magical thinking -magical thinking is an illogical thought pattern characterized by the linking of unrelated actions or events. Individuals may become preoccupied with lucky or unlucky numbers, colors, words, actions, sayings or superstitions and link them to catastrophe or 'bad things' that might happen.

From Oct 2015 until now
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I attended therapy from Jan 2016 and the therapist was useless. You might have read in some of my previous posts from this year the sort of things she did like say me not taking meds was just me self harming, not a part of my OCD fears, she said she would see me every week but I was going up to six weeks between sessions and she was very wooden. During the time of seeing her, my BDD flared up very badly. For a lot of people, its their weight or face that sets off their BDD but for me it was my hair. I was paranoid it looked silly and I would sit in front of the mirror for hours each day to check it and I took pics constantly to see how it looked. I was mainly concerned with my roots and if you go onto my blog you'll see the pics I uploaded of my phone showing folders of nothing but pics of my hair.

The BDD has went away ever since I dyed my hair back to my natural colour and touch wood, I'm hoping it stays away. So many people think its nothing but vanity but how can it be vanity when you hate yourself and what you see in the mirror? Vanity is you love yourself, BDD is the opposite. BDD is very close to OCD and a lot of people have both conditions together.

So I quit that therapist in June and I saw a psychiatrist in August who referred me urgently to a CPN so she could do an assessment of me and determine when I will be ready for intensive therapy. I saw her a couple of days ago and she is starting me on some mild anxiety based therapy before moving onto more intensive therapy such as trauma therapy. Its early days but I'm hoping I'm on the right road to recovery :yep:

My OCD has been really bad, especially with my health. I am convinced I have lymphoma and I check my lymph nodes no less than 100 times a day at my worst and I spend hours Googling and I mean hours, sometimes its up to about 8 or 9. I stay in to check my nodes and Google the symptoms. I've had these nodes for nearly three years now and they are pea sized and haven't grown and they came up with an ear infection so logically I know they are most likely fine but my OCD tells me other wise.

Magical thinking has been quite bad too. Two of my friends recently had a cancer scare and thankfully both their results came back negative and my OCD kept saying "the next person who has a cancer scare will actually have cancer" and lo and behold the day after I thought that, I found a lump on one of my cats and we took him to the vet and he said we've to watch and wait to see if it grows and that created intense feelings of guilt and led me to self harm. I know what I think has no bearing on what happens but OCD doesn't ever see logic.

My depression has also been pretty bad lately. I booked my wedding recently and I'm over the moon about it but I feel the joy I should be feeling is being shadowed by depression and OCD.

I'm managed to gain most of the weight I have lost but the contamination fears are still there but not as strong as they used to be but they flare up every now and then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I was diagnosed with OCD at 16; but it's one of those things, looking back, that I've had much longer.

And yes, I do fit the horrible and frustrating stereoptype of hand washing. For me, it's nothing to do with germs though. It's to do with my hands feeling dirty. I also find that it gets worse if I get stressed.
    Thanks for sharing feel free to contribute throughout the week :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Proud of you for doing this, go you. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Proud of you for doing this, go you. :hugs:
    Thank you that means a lot :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today's topic is about first hand experiences of OCD and it's also World Mental Health Day so an even bigger reason to tall about it feel free to share as much or as little as you like. I'll be out for most of today but will catch up with the thread as soon as I can. I've already added my day two post.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed so far :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant work - such a good way to raise awareness of such an important area. :five:

ReputationRep:
    Amazing thread! Looking forward to reading and learning more this week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teesside University)
    Brilliant work - such a good way to raise awareness of such an important area. :five:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Amazing thread! Looking forward to reading and learning more this week
    Thank you both for taking an interest in the thread! Means a lot to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.