World Mental Health Day 2016

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

(Original post by Airmed)
    I've read elsewhere that you've had a bad experience with mh services etc. I was sorry to read that, because I have had my fair share of being messed around also.

However, no one here on TSR is jumping on the bandwagon when it comes to mental health and promoting it in order to reduce the stigma. We actively promote this throughout the year. This is not a one off, a yearly thing, for us. Your bitterness, in a way, disrespects the hard work put in by the site to raise mental health awareness.

If you feel as if though that people are bandwagon jumping, then there is a simple step you can take: talk about mental health yourself. Be open about it. Because the more open we are, the less bandwagon jumping as people will be more willing to discuss such things daily, rather than on a certain day or week of the year.

Anyway, I've said my piece. We are all entitled to our opinions. I respect yours. I just don't agree with it.
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I don't know where you get the idea this is some kind of bandwagon. Take a look at the MH forum any day of the year and you'll see people talking about mental illness and people trying to offer advice - even if that advice is just "you're not alone". I know obviously us offering or seeking advice isn't the same as seeing a psychiatrist, but, as you seem to be well-aware, there are often huge waits and during those people can seek out other support. It can also be a kick up the ass. I think I probably never would have gone to my doctor if it wasn't for the responses I received when posting asking for advice here and I know that's the case for many other people too.
    Just because it is posted on TSR doesn't make it about TSR or the mods. There is no need to jump straight on the defensive because I criticized WMHD.

It was about WMHD, something which TSR doesn't run, just takes part in. In fact one of the only organisations I have even seen taking part.

To repeat myself...

(Original post by Willy Pete)
    I hope that clarifies my position, I don't intend to discredit the volunteers who as I understand can be very helpful.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.