M406 – Full Drug Decriminalisation Motion 2016 (Second Reading)

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Abstain. I must admit, I would like to see drug consumption rooms as a separate bill or motion as I agree with that concept. However, I'm still not convinced by the rest.
    What.....

But you need the rest for drug consumption rooms to be useful. If drugs weren't decriminalised, the Police could just arrest people as they walked into a drug consumption centre

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Tell me when you're more likely to do something, when there is a deterrent there, even if ours are ****, or when you're told "go ahead, we won't do anything about you trying to kill yourself"? A parasite is better dead.
    If someone is so far gone that they wish to inject heroin into their eyeballs, then it doesn't matter if the drug is decriminalised or not.

As for drug use as a whole, if you actually looked at the EVIDENCE I provided, you'd see that in Portugal, drug use has fallen. If you wish to debate me, then please provide actual evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Aye, although if I may ask does this not contradict previous Government legislation?

And as before if a motion is just to judge support I'd prefer a bill, but I can see the wisdom in a motion on this.
    Yes, this does contradict previous Government legislation, but I've explained why this has been posted and all of that in the first reading.

I've also done this as a motion as I generally don't have loads of time, but I'm happy to make a bit of extra time for a bill I'm certain will pass.

A motion also means other people can approach me with ideas (like DMcGovern did with the drug consumption rooms) before a first reading of a bill so it can be a better bill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Yes, this does contradict previous Government legislation, but I've explained why this has been posted and all of that in the first reading.

I've also done this as a motion as I generally don't have loads of time, but I'm happy to make a bit of extra time for a bill I'm certain will pass.

A motion also means other people can approach me with ideas (like DMcGovern did with the drug consumption rooms) before a first reading of a bill so it can be a better bill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I may have missed the first reading with all I have going on, likewise I can see why this is a motion, not a bill, whereas some motions I don't see why they are not simply just bills.

ReputationRep:
    What.....

But you need the rest for drug consumption rooms to be useful. If drugs weren't decriminalised, the Police could just arrest people as they walked into a drug consumption centre

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not necessarily. All you would have to do is make exemptions for drug consumption rooms.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily. All you would have to do is make exemptions for drug consumption rooms.
    Okay, what if someone is walking along to a drug consumption room but they get stopped before they get there?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, what if someone is walking along to a drug consumption room but they get stopped before they get there?
    Make the drug consumers collect documents which will state that the user is going to a consumption room.

ReputationRep:
    Make the drug consumers collect documents which will state that the user is going to a consumption room.
    Or wouldn't it just be simpler to legalise possession, but still keep the selling of drugs illegal?

ReputationRep:
    You make the state the only distributer and only allow the sale in said rooms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    You make the state the only distributer and only allow the sale in said rooms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's legalisation rather than decriminalisation. Whilst I'm in favour of legalisation, that's not what we're talking about here.

ReputationRep:
    That's legalisation rather than decriminalisation. Whilst I'm in favour of legalisation, that's not what we're talking about here.
    I'm pretty sure that the two are analogous, or at least the difference is so obscure that it doesn't matter.

If you are planing to allow anyone to get drugs at any time and not regulate the industry then it's a nay because you are risking people's lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm pretty sure that the two are analogous, or at least the difference is so obscure that it doesn't matter.

If you are planing to allow anyone to get drugs at any time and not regulate the industry then it's a nay because you are risking people's lives.
    What this does is allow people to bring a personal amount of drugs into a drug consumption room to use. This means people can take drugs under medical supervision without the risk of being prosecuted.

Again, if you have a look at the evidence, you'll find that this massively reduces overdoses

ReputationRep:
    What this does is allow people to bring a personal amount of drugs into a drug consumption room to use. This means people can take drugs under medical supervision without the risk of being prosecuted.

Again, if you have a look at the evidence, you'll find that this massively reduces overdoses
    Well except it doesn't because it isn't changing the law, also you aren't regulating the industry which means that people can be given junk and they are still not paying tax to fund these centres. You need legalisation and regulation first.

ReputationRep:

I don't see how this will stop people from taking drugs in their own homes, away from supervision? If it's supervision that you're after, this would just make it easier, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Or wouldn't it just be simpler to legalise possession, but still keep the selling of drugs illegal?
    But surely then people would just turn to the black market to get their drugs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well except it doesn't because it isn't changing the law, also you aren't regulating the industry which means that people can be given junk and they are still not paying tax to fund these centres. You need legalisation and regulation first.
    (Original post by Kyx)
    I don't see how this will stop people from taking drugs in their own homes, away from supervision? If it's supervision that you're after, this would just make it easier, surely?
    If the house was in favour of legalisation, I'd pursue legalisation. However, there isn't a lot of evidence in favour of full or near-full legalisation, which is why I'm pursuing decriminalisation.

Kyx, the idea is that people would prefer to take the drugs where they can get clean needles and have medical assistance. It could also provide information for people and that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    There are literally secondary school kids doing drugs for the thrill of it being illegal, and taking away that part and allowing safety would be better for humanity.

Aye.
    I don't care whether they become parasites when they're 5 or 50, the problem is not them being illegal, it's for the deterrence being so **** because suddenly rehabilitation is the way you stop people doing things

ReputationRep:
    If someone is so far gone that they wish to inject heroin into their eyeballs, then it doesn't matter if the drug is decriminalised or not.

As for drug use as a whole, if you actually looked at the EVIDENCE I provided, you'd see that in Portugal, drug use has fallen. If you wish to debate me, then please provide actual evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I raise you Japan, one of the lowest drug use rates in the world, although some put that down to people actually having a sense of respect absent in the West, Sweden on the other hand does not, it has some of the strictest laws in the West and, guess what, some of the lowest usage rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I raise you Japan, one of the lowest drug use rates in the world, although some put that down to people actually having a sense of respect absent in the West, Sweden on the other hand does not, it has some of the strictest laws in the West and, guess what, some of the lowest usage rates.
    I meant evidence that proved decriminalisation doesn't work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Better to regulate them than force addicts to get drugs from shady alleys and open themselves up to far more immediate harm.

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.