why we need religion?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Now I think that its the politics that misuses religion rather than the actual reigious beliefs. For example, some places currently in the middle east, and even without religion people in power messed things up for example the soviet union where religion was suppressed. (1)

Also, a topic that critics of religion state is womens rights in religion but for example in Islam I read about how technically face veil is not compulsory (2), also how Eve and Adam had equal blame (3), and how in Islamic society women should have jobs like teachers and doctors. (4)
    1. Point taken, but the nature of many religions allow them to be abused. I never said religion was the *only* bad thing in the world, of course negative actions can originate from irreligiously motivated actions.
    2. Out of interest, can you quote any Muslim holy text to evidence that?
    3. That does not seem to be well communicated within the Bible.
    4. Those are concepts and policies that the individual societies have decided to adopt, which shouldn't really be credited to the religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantham999)
    Because its the only truth in this world?
    Why do you believe that religion is true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    1. Point taken, but the nature of many religions allow them to be abused. I never said religion was the *only* bad thing in the world, of course negative actions can originate from irreligiously motivated actions.
    4. Those are concepts and policies that the individual societies have decided to adopt, which shouldn't really be credited to the religion.
    To point 1: Are you going to delegitimise an entire principle based on the actions of a few. For example, people have done terrible things in the name of science. I believe the Nazis in Germany, did truly atrocious actions infringing on human rights but that does not necessarily mean that all science is bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Why do you believe that religion is true?
    You can read a million different scriptures, ask a million different religious preachers but in my opinion it is VERY obvious and CLEAR that there is only one true religion and its helped me a lot. In ways you couldn't imagine and no I'm not a deceived religious junky lol I have sinned a lot but its easy when you know the truth.

ReputationRep:
    You can read a million different scriptures, ask a million different religious preachers but in my opinion it is VERY obvious and CLEAR that there is only one true religion and its helped me a lot. In ways you couldn't imagine and no I'm not a deceived religious junky lol I have sinned a lot but its easy when you know the truth.
    So you have no real basis for your beliefs, apart from the fact that members of your community (and probably friendship group/family) hold the same beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    So you have no real basis for your beliefs, apart from the fact that members of your community (and probably friendship group/family) hold the same beliefs?
    Lol they don't. My family aren't even religious

ReputationRep:
    Because its the only truth in this world?
    In YOUR world, maybe. Your posts on other threads about gay people shows the mentality of what religion does to people.
    THAT, society can do without.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    This is quite interesting actually; so I flip the question on to you, do atheists have a real basis for not believing in God? Clearly not or else religion would be on the whole defunctional. Just because you have a real basis should not impede on whether you believe it. Scientists have had several thought experiments which they would have thought to be true. Much of modern physics could have originated from a 'gut instinct'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someguy12)
    To point 1: Are you going to delegitimise an entire principle based on the actions of a few. For example, people have done terrible things in the name of science. I believe the Nazis in Germany, did truly atrocious actions infringing on human rights but that does not necessarily mean that all science is bad.
    Science does not promote inhumane treatment of others. Science is not a set of beliefs like religion, it is rather a system that is built up with human knowledge, so it can't really promote, or condone those actions. Religion on the other hand - can, and in some cases, it does.

It's not the actions of a few -- it's the content of the scriptures that can be disruptive, in the fact that they, in some respect, can be interpreted as being supportive of extremist activity, and those interpretations cannot be dismissed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    In YOUR world, maybe. Your posts on other threads about gay people shows the mentality of what religion does to people.
    THAT, society can do without.
    What is wrong with being anti homosexual? Honestly, you guys need to grow some thick skin not everyone is going to agree with your choices lol

ReputationRep:
    This is quite interesting actually; so I flip the question on to you, do atheists have a real basis for not believing in God (3)?Clearly not or else religion would be on the whole defunctional. Just because you have a real basis should not impede on whether you believe it (2). Scientists have had several thought experiments which they would have thought to be true. (1) Much of modern physics could have originated from a 'gut instinct'
    1. Thought experiments which were followed by real-world experiments.
    2. It should prompt you to question the belief, to maintain its integrity.
    3. To me, religion is nothing more than a supposition, one that is presented with little evidence to back it up, relying a lot on faith and societal circumstances to spread itself as an ideology. Therefore, until objective supporting evidence is presented, I have no reason to believe in a deity. I'm sure you've heard of the term "invalid until proven valid" or "innocent until proven guilty". That could definitely be applied within this context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    For the jobs one its because Islam its not allowed for a male doctor and a Female patient and vice versa. So obviously Female doctors would be needed.

The one about Adam and Eve where the Quran does not blame Eve. The story is narrated in 7:19-27, and if you read those verses you see that both are sharing the blame equally. There is no verse blaming Eve only and no verse blaming Adam only.

Yeah the Bible and Quran are different here . Quran shows that we should love our mothers because of the difficulties from childbirth.

ReputationRep:
    Some people want to believe stuff. Let them do that, as long as it's not harming anyone, who cares?

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with being anti homosexual? Honestly, you guys need to grow some thick skin not everyone is going to agree with your choices lol
    Don't be stupid! I am not a 'guy' and I am not a homosexual. And being a homosexual is not a choice, but being a bigot is. Think on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Science does not promote inhumane treatment of others. Science is not a set of beliefs like religion, it is rather a system that is built up with human knowledge, so it can't really promote, or condone those actions. Religion on the other hand - can, and in some cases, it does.

It's not the actions of a few -- it's the content of the scriptures thatcan be disruptive, in the fact that they, in some respect, can be interpreted as being supportive of extremist activity, and those interpretations cannot be dismissed.
    Point taken. As I'm sure you know there are those who read scriptures liberally in a nonliteral way. In fact, I can think of one religion which is based on the principle that the moral code must change with change in societal values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    Why do atheists care so much? Seriously, if your atheistic lives are so darn fulfilling why feel the need to keep going on about it?
    Why would an Asian or black care about institutional racism? Why would a homosexual care about the church interfering in laws regarding sexuality?
    Why do atheists care about religion? Because religion influences laws, geopolitics, social lives, etc., it even affects the lives of atheists believe it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Don't be stupid! I am not a 'guy' and I am not a homosexual. And being a homosexual is not a choice, but being a bigot is. Think on.
    I believe in gay rights just as much as anyone else but I feel like you are saying "being a homosexual is not a choice" like you could know, but you cant know (yet).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    For #4- its because Islam its not allowed for a male doctor and a Female patient and vice versa. So obviously Female doctors would be needed. (1)

The one about Adam and Eve where the Quran does not blame Eve. The story is narrated in 7:19-27, and if you read those verses you see that both are sharing the blame equally. There is no verse blaming Eve only and no verse blaming Adam only.

Yeah the Bible and Quran are different here . Quran shows that we should love our mothers because of the difficulties from childbirth (2)
    1. That's an interesting belief. Out of interest, what is the rationale provided?
    2. That is where I got confused, I was rather referring to Christianity, so that explains the disconnect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    1. That's an interesting belief. Out of interest, what is the rationale provided?
    2. That is where I got confused, I was rather referring to Christianity, so that explains the disconnect.
    What do you mean by rationale provided?

ReputationRep:
    Point taken. As I'm sure you know there are those who read scriptures liberally in a nonliteral way. In fact, I can think of one religion which is based on the principle that the moral code must change with change in societal values.
    What is that religion?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.