Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Elitism
    The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority

You seem to base elitism on how a place is perceived. If Oxbridge were elitist, they would discriminate against state school students and favour public schoolboys (of same intellect/potential). The stats prove that this is not the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Elitism
    The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority

You seem to base elitism on how a place is perceived. If Oxbridge were elitist, they would discriminate against state school students and favour public schoolboys (of same intellect/potential). The stats prove that this is not the case.
    No by statistics. Your interpretation of the stats makes no university in this country elitist, putting everyone on an even playing field in terms of inclusiveness.

But statistics prove that this is not the case, with Oxbridge there is a definite bias that is not evident on the same scale in other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob24601)
    I am extremely confused about which of these two to include on my UCAS form for Geography in 2005. I am having this trouble because as far as I am concerned these two both have massive plus points that sort of cancel each other out making my decision harder.

Oxford's plus points are that it is a much larger and more lively city which is definitely more "me" and also has excellent links with lLndon which I also consider important. Many colleges also have an excellent reputation for drama which is also important to me. A final plus point is my school's success rate with Oxford applications, last year 6/8 Oxford applicants gained a place.
    However I have heard that the Geography course there is pretty much distinctly average and nothing special.

Where as Cambridge's major plus point is the excellent Geography course they have there, and their research department which is pretty much on the cutting edge of geographical research. Another academic related point is that they do a particularly interesting postgraduate MPhil course in GIS and Remote Sensing which I can see myself being interested in after graduating should I gain a place.
    The problem I have here however is that when I visited the city was pretty dull and lifeless compared to Oxford, and although the peace and quiet was a good thing at times, I can see myself becoming bored with it quite quickly. Another problem is the poor application success rate of my school here, with only 1 out of 5 applicants to Cambridge gaining a place.

So basically it seems like a choice between the academic side and the social side of the respective Universities.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or thoughts anyone may have on this

Thanx,

Robxx
    What are your grades/ums marks and subjects??

ReputationRep:
    I thought i was gonna apply to Oxford until today

Basically, i got AAAAC in my AS's (100% in all 3 geography papers)...but when i spoke to my geography teacher she said that my GCSE grades aren't good enough because i dont have 5A's, and if the Uni find out i will be getting Government help in terms of money then they wont accept me...ahh well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -xsarahx-)

Basically, i got AAAAC in my AS's (100% in all 3 geography papers)...but when i spoke to my geography teacher she said that my GCSE grades aren't good enough because i dont have 5A's, and if the Uni find out i will be getting Government help in terms of money then they wont accept me...ahh well!
    what were your GCSE's??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

That's a dreadful reason - the only reason you shouldn't try is if your As grades were poor. Yours are not.
    Getting 100% in your AS Geog is excellent and should certainly be worth applying. Oxford don't know anything about your financial situation until after the interviews.
    DON'T take this lying down. If you want to try (it's only one out of 6 places, anyway,) I think you ought to. Go and see your Head of Sixth Form and/or Careers officer. Discuss it with them. Make sure you have damn good essays to send in. You are never going to know whether you could get in unless you try - you may not (there's only a 1 in 3 chance for applicants) but the ratio is as bad if not worse for many other Geog courses at places like Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Finally sent of my appication today, I decided on Keble College, Oxford because of various different reasons, I just wanted to say good luck to all other applicants too Lets hope it'll be a worthwhile experience!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Finally sent of my appication today, I decided on Keble College, Oxford because of various different reasons, I just wanted to say good luck to all other applicants too Lets hope it'll be a worthwhile experience!
    Good luck * crosses fingers*

ReputationRep:
    what were your GCSE's??
    1A* 2A 5B 2C...they aren't bad i was really pleased with them! But my geog teacher said that i need 5 A's...o well!

That's a dreadful reason - the only reason you shouldn't try is if your As grades were poor. Yours are not.
    Aww thanks for the advice but i'll probably do what my teacher says, lol i'd feel a bit stupid applying when she said not too! oh well...i'm sure Sheffield will welcome me!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1A* 2A 5B 2C...they aren't bad i was really pleased with them! But my geog teacher said that i need 5 A's...o well!

Aww thanks for the advice but i'll probably do what my teacher says, lol i'd feel a bit stupid applying when she said not too! oh well...i'm sure Sheffield will welcome me!
    Get advice from other staff too - it's difficult for us to say as we don't know you, but 4 A's at AS is pretty damn good and at my school we only let students apply if they have AAAA to AAAB at AS. You would fit in that category - it sounds as though you are at a state school, there are some colleges that do Geog that would be more 'sympatico'. Why don't you pm Jools and ask? Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    at my school we only let students apply if they have AAAA to AAAB at AS.
    That's not good, they should have the choice. At my school, they strongly encouraged those with straight As but didn't take any interest (or offer extra help) to those with lesser grades. Big mistake since only one straight A person got an offer whilst 3 students with "lesser grades" got an offer
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by aliel)
    That's not good, they should have the choice. At my school, they strongly encouraged those with straight As but didn't take any interest (or offer extra help) to those with lesser grades. Big mistake since only one straight A person got an offer whilst 3 students with "lesser grades" got an offer
    Well, we have let others with lower grades (mix of A's and B's - but with an A in the subject they want to do) have a go in the recent past, but none of them have been successful - when we (quite openly) tell students that, most of them opt themselves out. If they insist on applying then that's up to them, but it does depend a bit on the character!

ReputationRep:
    Top choice, I almost ended up applying there myself. So why did you choose Oxford in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    Well, we have let others with lower grades (mix of A's and B's - but with an A in the subject they want to do) have a go in the recent past, but none of them have been successful - when we (quite openly) tell students that, most of them opt themselves out. If they insist on applying then that's up to them, but it does depend a bit on the character!
    I think all students are aware that the overwhelming majority of applicants will have straight A's at AS. They do not need to be convinced that the number of offers that are given to those with similar grades as themselves, are in relative terms, much less.

ReputationRep:
    That's simply a lie, Oxford Geography has no minimum requirement for GCSE. And achieving 100% in all 3 AS Geography papers more than makes up for your GCSEs. Also it doesn't matter at all when applying what your financial situation is, and there's no reason they'd discriminate against you if you're getting government support.

ReputationRep:
    That's simply a lie, Oxford Geography has no minimum requirement for GCSE. And achieving 100% in all 3 AS Geography papers more than makes up for your GCSEs.
    Aww thank you i've decided not to apply tho!! I think its too late now anyway, plus i'd feel stupid going against what my geog teacher said!

ReputationRep:
    Aww thank you i've decided not to apply tho!! I think its too late now anyway, plus i'd feel stupid going against what my geog teacher said!
    You shouldn't not apply because of your geography teacher. Are you sure that you don't want to apply there, or is your decision based just on what your geography teacher said?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 22, 2004

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.