MHoC By-Election: Notification

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    This is a silly move by the Speaker, but being the member I am, I have submitted an amendment to correct this bad decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Nobody to put up?
    We have me to put up as well as a couple others, we just dont see the point in having a byelection so close to the end of term. I would hope other parties also do the sensible thing and boycott the election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    This is a silly move by the Speaker, but being the member I am, I have submitted an amendment to correct this bad decision.
    How noble of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    How noble of you.
    I hope the MHoC will rally behind an amendment to force the Speaker to delay the by-election to after the General Election. The amendment brings fairness, equality, and justice to the MHoC; all things the left-wing should support.

ReputationRep:
    I hope the MHoC will rally behind an amendment to force the Speaker to delay the by-election to after the General Election. The amendment brings fairness, equality, and justice to the MHoC; all things the left-wing should support.
    ****, that I would agree with actually - PM me the amendment and I may second?

ReputationRep:
    How noble of you.
    Goes with the new avatar. It's a brand new Nigel.

ReputationRep:
    It won't pass so there's no point in submitting it tbh. Labour and Liberals would vote against. That's 20 votes alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    It won't pass so there's no point in submitting it tbh. Labour and Liberals would vote against. That's 20 votes alone.
    True, but just shows how much of a sore loser they all are

ReputationRep:
    I cannot help your incompetent management which allows voting robots to malfunction, but I can attempt to stop the offending parties escaping punishment for their actions.

ReputationRep:
    It would be better to remove a seat from offending parties at the next GE and redistribute as if their seats are capped. Just because a by-election after a normal election seems rediculous.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot help your incompetent management which allows voting robots to malfunction, but I can attempt to stop the offending parties escaping punishment for their actions.
    True, but just shows how much of a sore loser they all are
    (Original post by Aph)
    It would be better to remove a seat from offending parties at the next GE and redistribute as if their seats are capped. Just because a by-election after a normal election seems rediculous.
    The offence was committed this term. We should therefore lose the seat for the rest of this term. There should be no by-election either, we should just spend the rest of this term with 48 seats

ReputationRep:
    The offence was committed this term. We should therefore lose the seat for the rest of this term. There should be no by-election either, we should just spend the rest of this term with 48 seats
    But it just means for the final 4 weeks (1/6 of a term) voting effectively doesn't matter. Which shouldn't be something which we just don't care about.

ReputationRep:
    Except that terms are arbitrary so there shouldn't be a distinction made.
    But it just means for the final 4 weeks (1/6 of a term) voting effectively doesn't matter. Which shouldn't be something which we just don't care about.
    You, my friend, speak total sense.

ReputationRep:
    That's irrelevant seeing as the lack of voting didn't take place in the last 1/6th of the term but the month beforehand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

Why, thank you, my friend.

That's irrelevant seeing as the lack of voting didn't take place in the last 1/6th of the term but the month beforehand
    Not really, because it's the punishment that counts... in any voting review, the punishment always comes AFTER the 4 weeks that the poor voting has happened. And yes, I also believe that poor voting (below the % for any seats highlighted) in the period between the final review and the end of the term, should also be punished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

I think it would be incredibly harsh for a party to lose a seat for an entire term for something that happened in the previous term

Why, thank you, my friend.

Not really, because it's the punishment that counts... in any voting review, the punishment always comes AFTER the 4 weeks that the poor voting has happened. And yes, I also believe that poor voting (below the % for any seats highlighted) in the period between the final review and the end of the term, should also be punished.
    That's irrelevant to this case though. In this case, the punishment should still happen this term as the missed votes were before the last review rather than after

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be incredibly harsh for a party to lose a seat for an entire term for something that happened in the previous term

That's irrelevant to this case though. In this case, the punishment should still happen this term as the missed votes were before the last review rather than after
    Except that they proved that they couldn't handle that seat and otherwise it makes voting reviews at the end of the term redundant.

ReputationRep:

Aren't you?Y

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Except that they proved that they couldn't handle that seat and otherwise it makes voting reviews at the end of the term redundant.
    Okay, so what if my party loses a seat at the next election? What then? We lose another seat even though we've proven we can keep at least 7 above 70%?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so what if my party loses a seat at the next election? What then? We lose another seat even though we've proven we can keep at least 7 above 70%?
    Yes, to reflect RL where parties with MPs who don't adiquitly reflect their party are booted.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.