Your opinion on the new £5 note?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Too blue, and too pretty to use...i'm gonna start looking for crisp old £5 notes to get some of that profit

ReputationRep:
    Australia and Singapore have had plastic notes for years now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christie_xx)
    I'm pretty sure that Churchill was very racist so plenty of other people would be more suitable for the notes imo 🤔
    He is one of the reasons we don't speak German now xD Have some respect.

ReputationRep:
    We should do more things like this to make sure that period of time in history is never forgotten. Besides commemorating all the efforts and sacrifices that were made for the way of life we have and overlook today, it triggers lefties and that's a great thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan, the old notes were worn, a little rough but regal.. they were British. These are clean and tidy and efficient.. like the Germans.

I'm pretty sure that Churchill was very racist so plenty of other people would be more suitable for the notes imo 🤔
    Most historic people were. Marx was a racist and Bevan believed the poor were feckless and idle, they are still heroes of the left.

ReputationRep:
    Just from glancing down the thread, this looks like a bit of a love-hate thing! I like 'em, and they seem a lot more practical (no more tearing notes/getting them ruining in the washing machine etc.) plus,, for those worried about Germany and all that lot, as someone else mentioned on this thread, Australia has them too (indeed, got them like 30 years ago), so I wouldn't worry about that

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saba XD)
    It looks and feels like monopoly money.
    IKR

ReputationRep:
    I got my first one from a cashier. I thought it was fake so I asked the lass why she gave me fake moneyz. She then proceeded to educate me on the matter. I then apologised. Then I left the shop. End of story.

ReputationRep:
    I'm indifferent, it's just a fiver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    I've got three of them beside me now
    Check if they have the AA code because they could be valuable

Why did they Have it changed in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    I love it. Was trying to rip a couple earlier and they stayed in mint condition.

Proper decent.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really care, it's still a fiver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    Who would you rather have on it?
    Nigel Farrage

ReputationRep:
    Like them, even though it feels a bit fake now. Had a couple of shopkeepers look at me a bit strangely when I tried to pay with them

ReputationRep:
    Wonderful to see Churchill finally on a bank note - now for Thatcher and Enoch Powell.

ReputationRep:
    ermm no he wasn't. Churchill was a great statesman, not some edgy SJW living in his Mum's basement. *

ReputationRep:
    Swap Churchill for Atlee or Franklin and I'm sold

ReputationRep:
    I dislike it because it brought to my attention the fact that some hipsters will actually go as far as to declare themselves anti-Churchill, and that makes me sad.

Since we've started, though, I vote that we stick Cecil Rhodes on the tenner.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.