Turn on thread page Beta

What Is The Quintessential Essence Of The British? watch

• CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    BTW - Thanks for the MOD link; I too am a RAF wannabe, but never thought of looking at that site 'til I read your signature. Cheers.
    ah that changes everything. You're welcome. I have another one in the pipeline which is for solely for RAF wannabes and helps them with everything they need to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    We all know that we are British (most of us on here)! But what is it that makes people fulfil that typical stereotype of the Brit. Is it our charm? Maybe our charisma? Is it our eccentricity? Post you views on what you thinks makes us British other than the fact that we were born in Britain
    our homour and drinking tea

(Original post by Nik P)
    Bad teeth

That's *******s. Compared to where, exactly?

great british comedy-nothing anywhere near to blackadder can be made by any other country!!

cream teas-mmm scones with jam and clotted cream..

ReputationRep:
    I agree British humour is much wittier (and smarter) than american humour or really any other humour just look at the shows:
    fawlty towers, monty python, black books, the office, blackadder, not the 9 o'clock news, ali g the list goes on a bit

(Original post by BloodyValentine)
    I agree British humour is much wittier (and smarter) than american humour or really any other humour just look at the shows:
    fawlty towers, monty python, black books, the office, blackadder, not the 9 o'clock news, ali g the list goes on a bit

And Coupling. They did an American version using exactly the same scripts but different actors and it was a total failure, but the British version is hilarious.

(Original post by Airport Fairy)
    And Coupling. They did an American version using exactly the same scripts but different actors and it was a total failure, but the British version is hilarious.
    long live british comedy and thank god for uk gold and its reruns..

have i got news for you-so satirical and always mocking the government

ReputationRep:
    Coupling (although its one of my favourite shows ever) is just a remake of a little known American show called Friends. Although on the whole I agree about our humour being mostly witty. It's also mostly character based, with nearly all of those programmes listed concentrating on just one individual. Again in most cases its a character with many flaws who always makes an arse of themselves, but who we love, simply because they carry another traditionally British trait of being persitent and never giving up, regardless of the odds.

Traditional British traits:
    Stiff upper lip
    Modesty
    Galantness (is that a word)
    Backing the underdog

And other things, obviously. I think. I hope. Anyway. Carry on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Coupling (although its one of my favourite shows ever) is just a remake of a little known American show called Friends. .
    Friends isn't very witty though it's funny but not that funny and to be honest i think the plot is pretty crap, uk sitcoms like Phoenix nights are a lot subtler and funnier in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    I wrote an essay on this in English once. My teacher said it was brilliant. But I've completely forgotten it. It was something along the lines of

Being British is about wearing globalised-branded but Asian made clothes while eating Chinese food, after dancing to Scadiniavian made dance music and possibly a drink of Italian wine, buying American films and movies bla bla bla bla bla bla but still finding time to talk about the weather and drink some tea.

Something like that. I suppose that's the point. The conclusion was something like 'Being British is about not being British, its about being proud of being British. '

Blimey. That makes no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    I wrote an essay on this in English once. My teacher said it was brilliant. But I've completely forgotten it. It was something along the lines of

Being British is about wearing globalised-branded but Asian made clothes while eating Chinese food, after dancing to Scadiniavian made dance music and possibly a drink of Italian wine, buying American films and movies bla bla bla bla bla bla but still finding time to talk about the weather and drink some tea.

Something like that. I suppose that's the point. The conclusion was something like 'Being British is about not being British, its about being proud of being British. '

Blimey. That makes no sense at all.
    it makes sense in a kinda twisted way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    1/4 of all british people migrate.
    76.25% of statistics are made up on the spot..

ReputationRep:
    must say..to Foreigners, the stereotypical brit is the football hooligan..

although i believe the sarcasm is quite unique

Trisha

(Original post by portugal)
    must say..to Foreigners, the stereotypical brit is the football hooligan..
    Not anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    76.25% of statistics are made up on the spot..
    that's 91.234% true

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps James Bond is to blame?

PS: Taa Sublime_envy, some useful sites there enjoy ur rep
    PPS: Airport_Fairy nicked my picture i must find a new one now...

ReputationRep:
    Well, in the future, the typical Brit will probably be thuggish, considering there are so many scallies or whatever you call them things on the street these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    We all know that we are British (most of us on here)! But what is it that makes people fulfil that typical stereotype of the Brit. Is it our charm? Maybe our charisma? Is it our eccentricity? Post you views on what you thinks makes us British other than the fact that we were born in Britain
    Worcester sause.

ReputationRep:
    have to agree with the football hooligans. although I feel a worse thing is pikeys and townies.....i mean, who are they and what are they doing here?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.