I am literally unemployable

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

(Original post by Ambitious1999)
    People only have to apply for 3 jobs a week and do a minimum of 7 activities related to finding employment. That's only 12 jobs a month.

The Op has done well above the min requirement and doesn't need to. He won't get extra benefit for it and still be sanctioned if he's a minute late to an appointment. He should just chill out and enjoy his free time. Many years ago I heard there was no minimum number of jobs to apply for all he'd have to of done was sign on once every 2 weeks.
    Wrong again. People have to do the number of actions they agree to in their jobseekers agreement, whcih cna be different for every person. My point was anyone claiming to apply for 10 jobs a day is not making ten well considered and targeted applications a day as they take longer thna that to do. I dont believe you are applying for 250 jobs a month+.

(Original post by House Bound)
    Why do you come across so negative and critical? Phrase your sentences so they read in a calmer way. This person has got a degree so they must be doing something right.
    They have posted with with an issue, they want advice on how to get out of it, then they need to face up to the truth about whats happening.Im telling him/her the truth of how it is.

Clearly he isnt unemployable or they wouldnt offer him/her interviews, whcih means his weak point is his interview technique. Working on that will improve his/her chances.

Having a degree alone is not enough (its also not that uncommon). It requires a different skillset to get a job, one that can be reseacrhed and learnt. They need to recognise this and change their job hunting strategy because at the moment they have low confidence and are backing themselves into a corner. If thye wnat out of where they are, then they are going to have to do it by their own effort or get the assistance of someone willing to help them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brightonlad89)
    Your friend attended an appointment topless? That is incredibly inappropriate and just sends a message of not taking it seriously. I'm glad the advisors are enforcing some sort of standards.*
    It was a red hot day in August he'd been to the beach and around town before his appointment. Dress sense doesn't mean he was not taking things seriously. We'd previously been to a cafe and they didn't have any problem with how he was dressed. In any case a lot of people were topless that day as I remember, it was too hot to wear a top.
    They did it on purpose so he'd miss his appointment and be sanctioned, they have sanction targets and 4 weeks loss of pay is a bit harsh for not wearing a top. Their attitude was "You can't come in hear like that" not even polite.

ReputationRep:
    You can claim Jobseeker's Allowance for being out of work, but they make you do things like workfare which is not good and sanction you for being a few mins late. They are too strict nowadays a friend of mine was sent home from the Jobcentre for not having a top on one scorching hot day in summer, missed his appointment and was sanctioned.

Pity there wasn't a system like in my uncles day where they had unemployment benefit and all you had to do was sign on once a fortnight and they left you alone....

Ikr.

Once removed my boxers during an interview on a boiling day. They told me to get out.

Cheeky bastards.

ReputationRep:
    It was a red hot day in August he'd been to the beach and around town before his appointment. Dress sense doesn't mean he was not taking things seriously. We'd previously been to a cafe and they didn't have any problem with how he was dressed. In any case a lot of people were topless that day as I remember, it was too hot to wear a top.
    They did it on purpose so he'd miss his appointment and be sanctioned, they have sanction targets and 4 weeks loss of pay is a bit harsh for not wearing a top. Their attitude was "You can't come in hear like that" not even polite.
    Too hot for a top? How did everyone else cope?*

Your friend has probably not done it since so the sanction would have served its purpose.

They don't have sanction targets by the way.*

ReputationRep:
    "I apply for like 10 jobs a days and from the few that give me interviews and/or assessment days - I am always unsuccessful."
    If you want evidence of you NOT being unemployable here it is... You wouldn't have had those interviews if it weren't for the potential employers thinking you had a chance. You will have to work on your interview skills to improve your chances.

"I am a graduate and I realise that a degree does not entitle you to a high paying job so I am even applying to fast food restaurants,retail, etc and they even reject you because they know that if you get offered a graduate job you will be out of there fast."
    Which is why you leave off the degree from your CV when applying for those kinds of jobs

"Is there anyone else in this situation just now? What are you doing?"
    I was in that situation for over a year until I changed a few things:
    -Left off my degree for jobs that didn't require it
    -Filled unemployment gaps with voluntary work (retail, gardening, tutoring)
    -Worked on my interview skills
    -More "humble" approach when applying for jobs, only apply for that which you know 100% you CAN do because you've already done it.

I recommend spending a day or two per week on some voluntary role, but don't just pick one, pick two different types of roles. One that is associated loosely with your degree, the other that's general-purpose sort of thing (i.e. retail) for when you get the retail job.

If u is got asepted 4 sum kind of burga flippin role (innit?), stay ther 4 no less dan 6 months. If you're switching jobs every month or so, it really doesn't look great on your CV and employers are not going to trust you as much. Stay the course with a crappy job, while you're doing that crappy job, volunteer a day or soe in a role relevant to the degree or job you REALLY want to do. Once you've got a few months of voluntary experience it'll help you get a job in a position you'd like.

ReputationRep:
    In which field you're looking for the job?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.