My teacher won't predict me an A. Feeling dejected and like my dreams have been crush

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Put your UMS grades on your AS levels in the education section.

Schools are supposed to explain the process for predicting grades in their reference. Speak to your referee and ask which grades will be in your reference - target grades are NOT predicted grades.

Even with the predicted B grade if your GCSE grades and reference are good you're likely to be invited to interview. Oxford admissions is much more broad based than just your predictions.

Getting your parents involved is likely to be counterproductive. ASK your teacher what they would expect to see from you for you to get an A or A*. It's a bit late now but those behaviours are likely to do you favours (whether it's turning up to all lessons and doing pre-reading to prepare or studying topics beyond the curriculum in your own time or producing some top notch study notes).

You need to work to REPAIR your relationship with your teacher. Oxford (and any other university) isn't going to be interested in recruiting a student who is difficult to teach.

ReputationRep:
    Why do English universities consider predicted grades ? Exams don't usually go to planned and predicted grades aren't achieved, happened to me in all years of exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

Schools are supposed to explain the process for predicting grades in their reference. Speak to your referee and ask which grades will be in your reference - target grades are NOT predicted grades.

Even with the predicted B grade if your GCSE grades and reference are good you're likely to be invited to interview. Oxford admissions is much more broad based than just your predictions.

Getting your parents involved is likely to be counterproductive. ASK your teacher what they would expect to see from you for you to get an A or A*. It's a bit late now but those behaviours are likely to do you favours (whether it's turning up to all lessons and doing pre-reading to prepare or studying topics beyond the curriculum in your own time or producing some top notch study notes).

You need to work to REPAIR your relationship with your teacher. Oxford (and any other university) isn't going to be interested in recruiting a student who is difficult to teach.
    This, basically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    Why do English universities consider predicted grades ? Exams don't usually go to planned and predicted grades aren't achieved, happened to me in all years of exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know and I think it's a fundamental flaw within the application system. I think universities should look at AS results/whether any retakes are being taken and just make that judgement for themselves, because so many schools over-predict and it just depends so much on teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

This is really reasonable advice. My teacher told me she is going to discuss it with my other Geography teacher, who I really don't think cares for me, so I'm just going to hope that they predict an A and I'll try to diplomatically and reasonably explain why I can achieve this, since I need to know by Friday (application deadline). If I don't get the prediction I'm just going to wait until next year, maybe do another A level and do some work experience to prepare myself for university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninapudding)
    I know and I think it's a fundamental flaw within the application system. I think universities should look at AS results/whether any retakes are being taken and just make that judgement for themselves, because so many schools over-predict and it just depends so much on teacher.
    Yeah I'm Scottish btw so I sat highers last year and I will sit advanced highers this year. I've seen people post threads saying they got 2As and 2Bs at AS level and then they are predicted 2A* and an A by their teachers. How is this reliable for unis considering applications lol ? Also what about in the other hand someone is predicted 1A and 2Bs in their A levels and then they only apply for unis with those requirements and then they come out with exam results like 2A* and an A and then have to go to a uni with these requirements when they could me aiming at unis like ICL. Vice versa what if someone is predicted 3A* and then only applies to unis with similar entry requirements and then achieve 1A* A and a B and don't get into uni at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That is SO unfair. Speak to someone higher (like deputy head or something) and perhaps get your parents involved. Stress the fact that this cuts down your options dramatically.

I got a C in Geography (2 UMS off a B) and was predicted an A. General rule of thumb is one grade higher so I was definitely lucky. In your case, you should've really gotten that A.

Deadline of Oxford is this week (as I'm sure you know) so you need to hurry up.

ReputationRep:
    I know, to be honest the reason I don't make sure I attend every lesson is that most of them aren't even beneficial and I know I can teach myself better, so when she said me catching up wasn't as good as being in class I just wanted to laugh.

And I don't know, Nottingham's requirements are A*AA and I absolutely love Oxford and have always had my heart set on it - I don't want to throw away my chance for applying to it just because of one teacher.
    Try talking to your teacher again, maybe you could take a short assessment before the deadline and if you score well she could boost your grade? Try and seem very committed as you ask her and not to come off as though you are pressuring her.

Also, I do think it is worth talking to your head of sixth form about this; you could send an email explaining the situation and then speak to her about it. If you are logical in your reasoning there isn't a reason she wouldn't support you, just try to come off as dedicated and hardworking as you can and back it up with examples (eg: performace in mocks etc)

And you can always apply and transfer to a better uni later.

Hope this helps!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    No that's not reality, that's ********. Most Oxford students have around 3A*? Maths and and science students aren't representative of the entire university
    Found the failed oxbridge applicant. Look at their average entry scores for any subject if you don't believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stereoashhh)
    Found the failed oxbridge applicant. Look at their average entry scores for any subject if you don't believe me.
    Your answer was unfocused and out of context. OP was applying for humanities, yet you randomly came up with the figure that most have 3A*? Finding evidence to prove ******** is oxymoronic. Furthermore, average entry scores indicate UCAS points and not grades. 5A grades (600 UCAS points) can be misinterpreted as a figure ~4A* -It's all vague and inaccurate. Lastly, many of the A* grades come from the Maths and Sciences, which inflate the average tariffs more.

So please tell me how you're right? It just seems like you're trying to big up Oxford more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    This is really reasonable advice. My teacher told me she is going to discuss it with my other Geography teacher, who I really don't think cares for me, so I'm just going to hope that they predict an A and I'll try to diplomatically and reasonably explain why I can achieve this, since I need to know by Friday (application deadline). If I don't get the prediction I'm just going to wait until next year, maybe do another A level and do some work experience to prepare myself for university.
    You can get an offer from Oxford with a B prediction. Oxford is only 1/5 choices. If it's where you want to go then apply this year. Worst case scenario is they reject you and you reapply next year anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried Oxford don't look favourably upon gap years ?
    Oxford, and Cambridge, are not worried by gap years at all. (Except to an extent for maths.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Update: the teacher refuses to change it and states that my poor attendance is affecting my ability to make links. The other geography teacher agreed, which I just find really upsetting as she hasn't set us any tests or exams in the year so she has no way to gauge our ability, and she hasn't even checked my folder to see my work. The second teacher's assessment is based off of nothing.

I have a meeting with the head of sixth form tomorrow but I'm not optimistic anything will change because my geography teacher has adamantly states that she refuses to 'lie to UCAS' because she firmly believes I will not get an A.

The teacher's don't know the specific 'medical reasons' for a lot of my absence but in actuality a large part of them was me going to the GP with some personal stress and mental health problems that I had and are still ongoing. Do you think this is worth mentioning, or will they just think that no absence can be justified?

ReputationRep:
    The University of Birmingham is really good for Physics, they require A*AA according to their entry requirements. However, their website has a little survey where you enter your grades and they say if they're likely to give you an offer. I tried with A*AB predicted and they responded with you'll "likely" get an offer. The same can easily be true for other universities. I've heard that Unis ask for higher grades than they take because this convinces many students to put them as their firm choices and not their insurance choices. So my point is don't worry about it, just try and gradually convince your teacher by being nice to her if you can. And if you're really scared then complain with your head of year, show proof that you're not in for medical reasons, they probably will help you. You could do it over email if your shy.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.