I found out that my portfolio went up in value yesterday AMA?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Brilliant questions folks. Very interested to see the answers.
    I think you'll be waiting a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Who said anything about 1000%?
    14k to 181k is a 1129% return

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    I think the OP was saying that his portfolio increased by 14k [from 167k] to 181k.

So was talking more around 8.5% return.

ReputationRep:
    Adopt me john

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP was saying that his portfolio increased by 14k [from 167k] to 181k.

Oh yeah I read it wrong
    It then that makes me wonder how he has so much money when in other threads he mentioned having to use a credit card for purchasing a laptop and that he takes benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I read it wrong
    It then that makes me wonder how he has so much money when in other threads he mentioned having to use a credit card for purchasing a laptop and that he takes benefits.
    And if it's not true, why in God's name would anyone in their right mind waste their time making up such bs to random strangers on a forum?

It genuinely makes me wonder about OP's sanity, why would a 35yo do that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    And if it's not true, why in God's name would anyone in their right mind waste their time making up such bs to random strangers on a forum?

He's not sane- he has paranoid schizophrenia.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I read it wrong
    There's many benefits of using a credit card even if you can afford it. He probably won't be eligible for benefits anymore after declaring his profits though. Assuming he's doing his Self Assessment tax returns...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    There's many benefits of using a credit card even if you can afford it. He probably won't be eligible for benefits anymore after declaring his profits though. Assuming he's doing his Self Assessment tax returns...
    The more likely explanation is that he's a troll and lying through his teeth. How did he have so much capital to start with in the first place when he just graduated from uni and has suffered from schizophrenia and was unable to work, living off disability benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squish562)
    You sure?

ReputationRep:
    You sure?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    The more likely explanation is that he's a troll and lying through his teeth. How did he have so much capital to start with in the first place when he just graduated from uni and has suffered from schizophrenia and was unable to work, living off disability benefits.
    Inheritance comes to mind.

ReputationRep:
    You sure?
    If everything else is bs, I wouldn't take that diagnosis so seriously either maybe

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think we ought to call the dogs off now? Particularly if, as has been claimed, he has a serious mental illness. It's just straying into bullying. The point has been made, surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    You've certainly turned things around quick. A couple of months ago you were happy just to be allowed £1500 credit.. and whilst being unemployed.

Remarkable.

Infact with that sort of money in the bank, why would you need to get a £75k mortgage?
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    I love seeing you rip into people who aren't me on things that don't seem true
    bu it I was john I would have sold some of my holdings if I was that desperate
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Why did you need to use your credit cards to buy your laptop if you had the funds to invest?
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Brilliant questions folks. Very interested to see the answers.
    (Original post by the bear)
    i planted five magic euro beans before Brexit.... now i can climb up and up....
    John2054 has to be one of the most unusual posters on this site.
    (Original post by stefano865)
    :toofunny:
    Companies can list their shares on stock exchanges which means the shares can be publically traded.

Prices can go up or down. At the moment, the FTSE has climbed because 2/3 to 3/4 of the companies listed on the FTSE100 are foreign companies so the fall in the sterling against other currencies has improved the earnings of a lot of listed companies.

FTSE100 has climbed from about 6000 at the end of June to over 7000 at the moment.

So people holding stocks and shares in FTSE100 companies have benefited a lot recently.
    (Original post by Reue)
    let's be honest; it will just be a continuation of this myth
    It is impossible to have an over 1000% return. Your fund manager is scamming you. Only an insider trader could make that much. Think about it- what's he point of even working if you can make this type of return on passive investing? My father works in investment management and he has told me often that asset managers never ever make more than 10% annual return in the long run, hedge funds might be able to reach closer to 20% but 1000%, even over say 10 years, is absolutely ridiculous.

And in your other threads you say how you struggle with finances and credit cards- how could you afford to set aside £14k to invest? You are clearly BSing.
    Who said anything about 1000%?
    I made £14k progress in the space of a year. Which was quite good. And replaces basically the last 4/5 years where i have made roughly net gains of 0% per year. You see you have to remember that these holdings can go up and down!

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Mr Moon Man)
    Adopt me john
    Oh yeah I read it wrong

(Original post by NX172)
    You sure?
    Yep
    (Original post by NX172)
    Inheritance comes to mind.
    If everything else is bs, I wouldn't take that diagnosis so seriously either maybe
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Don't you think we ought to call the dogs off now? Particularly if, as has been claimed, he has a serious mental illness. It's just straying into bullying. The point has been made, surely.
    I started my new job today. It went quite well. Because of confidentiality i can't tell you about it sadly. And i may be able to do some work from home (voluntary).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    I made £14k progress in the space of a year. Which was quite good. And replaces basically the last 4/5 years where i have made roughly net gains of 0% per year. You see you have to remember that these holdings can go up and down!
    Ok, that's an alright return then!

ReputationRep:
    Yes very good, i was very pleasantly surprised thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes very good, i was very pleasantly surprised thanks.
    It's not actually a great return for five years of investing. You could have put the original £167k in a typical 1.95% savings account and made a slighter higher return of 10% with much less risk. Your investment actually underperformed compared to the FTSE 100 index usually used as a benchmark, which made a 29% return over the past five years. The value of your investment could have been £215000 minus very small management fees if you invested in a passively managed FTSE 100 tracker fund from, say, Blackrock iShares.

I would recommend going for passively managed tracker funds like the Vanguard Lifestrategy funds or a Blackrock iShares fund. Vanguard and Black ock have the lowest management fees since they are passively managed and there is no proof that in the long run, actively managed funds perform any better than passively managed ones.

You could literally be making double the return you're making sprightly now. It's not actually a good return, especially considering the risk that you are taking on with the investment.

Is your fund manager investing in mostly equity (stocks) or a combination of stocks, ETFs and bonds? What is his strategy (conservative, moderate or aggressive)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desaf1)
    It's not actually a great return for five years of investing. You could have put the original £167k in a typical 1.95% savings account and made a slighter higher return of 10% with much less risk. Your investment actually underperformed compared to the FTSE 100 index usually used as a benchmark, which made a 29% return over the past five years. The value of your investment could have been £215000 minus very small management fees if you invested in a passively managed FTSE 100 tracker fund from, say, Blackrock iShares.

I would recommend going for passively managed tracker funds like the Vanguard Lifestrategy funds or a Blackrock iShares fund. Vanguard and Black ock have the lowest management fees since they are passively managed and there is no proof that in the long run, actively managed funds perform any better than passively managed ones.

You could literally be making double the return you're making sprightly now. It's not actually a good return, especially considering the risk that you are taking on with the investment.

Is your fund manager investing in mostly equity (stocks) or a combination of stocks, ETFs and bonds? What is his strategy (conservative, moderate or aggressive)?
    the strategy is balanced i think (conservative/moderate). It actually has performed better than the benchmark, however we have taken a lot out. I don't have the figures to hand, but it has been something like £35000 in the last five years, so that is why it appears to have underperformed. i needed the money for stuff like legal bills, financial bills immigration fees and other expenses. Plus i used to pay myself £200 a week out of my own money, and something like that as well to my wife, so my money dropped like a tank.

For the last two years since i got out of the court of protection, i have been able to turn it around. Let me know if you have any more questions??

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.