The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ASNaC
Sorry, but I never cotradicted you. I stated that more nighclubs to do necessarily mean a better night life. I was not saying that it was not the case in this context, I was questioning the premise, without judging, because I have no experience at Oxford clubs and therefore cannot compare. Read my above statement and you will find no contradiction.

I don't understand how you can question a premise when you said yourself that generally Oxford is livelier and Cambridge achieves better results. Surely the context was a general one and thus the factual basis such as "more clubs" is a valid one, as it isn't being specific to anyone.
Reply 21
Invisible
I don't understand how you can question a premise when you said yourself that generally Oxford is livelier and Cambridge achieves better results. Surely the context was a general one and thus the factual basis such as "more clubs" is a valid one, as it isn't being specific to anyone.

All I was pointing out is that it comes down to a personal judgement. More clubs = better nigth life, is not an equation as far as I am considered. I will admit that Oxford may have better clubs, but surely the number is not what is important. I know some places with many night clubs that are all shit - does that make it have a good nightlife?

Just because the premise might (and it is impossible to prove anyway) hold up in this case, does not make it a truism.
Reply 22

Something has gone horribly wrong, and I'm not just referring to the hyperlink!
:confused:
ASNaC

Just because the premise might (and it is impossible to prove anyway) hold up in this case, does not make it a truism.

But numerically Oxford has more nightclubs and Cambridge statistically achieves better results, so in general the "better nightlife" comments and the "we do better" comments are true, overall.
Reply 25
mobbdeeprob
Something has gone horribly wrong, and I'm not just referring to the hyperlink!
:confused:

LOL, i was hoping you would'nt have to see this as we have previously discussed your DURHAMOPHOBIA. But i too was shocked......

Thats better: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html
Reply 26
Invisible
But numerically Oxford has more nightclubs and Cambridge statistically achieves better results, so in general the "better nightlife" comments and the "we do better" comments are true, overall.

But again, it's down to your own experience. Just because of general stats, it certainly doesn't mean that everyone at Cam is smarter than everyone at Ox, and that all Oxonians are more sociable.
Reply 27
Squishy
But again, it's down to your own experience. Just because of general stats, it certainly doesn't mean that everyone at Cam is smarter than everyone at Ox, and that all Oxonians are more sociable.

You're right there squishy.....everyone knows that people at cambridge are smarter AND more sociable!!! :tongue:

G
Reply 28
gzftan
You're right there squishy.....everyone knows that people at cambridge are smarter AND more sociable!!! :tongue:

G

That wasn't what I was implying in my post, but I do agree with you. :wink:
Reply 29
Why does every single thread here turn into a discussion about clubbing?
Reply 30
RxB
Why does every single thread here turn into a discussion about clubbing?

'tis the sign of a life well-lived. Everyone knows that. :rolleyes:
Reply 31
The Oxford lot seem to have nothing better to say about their uni :wink:.
But going by Rob's name, he's into better music than clubbing :biggrin:.
Reply 32
Acaila
The Oxford lot seem to have nothing better to say about their uni :wink:.
But going by Rob's name, he's into better music than clubbing :biggrin:.

Well said! Nah clubs aren't really my thing at all, what I do like is sitting in traditional pubs, but definitely not clubs OR wine bars :tongue: yeuch!

My only dilemma now is that i want to go to london to see all the west end shows, and its soo much easier to get to london on the bus from oxford than it is with cambridge
Reply 33
Rob24601
My only dilemma now is that i want to go to london to see all the west end shows, and its soo much easier to get to london on the bus from oxford than it is with cambridge

Why not use the train? :smile: Cambridge to King's Cross in less than an hour...you do have to walk to the train station, but that's not bad.
Reply 34
You don't even have to walk. I got a bus from the station to just outside Emmanuel. Plus if you go to Cambridge and I get in too, you have an invite to all the musicals I'm involved in. Which will be a lot :wink:. Oh and a partner for all those West End trips!
Reply 35
Oh great! :biggrin: Problem solved!
Reply 36
Hehe :biggrin: I'm good! I'm good!
I'm determined to act/direct musicals if I get into Cam. Another reason for applying to Robinson - they do a musical every year.
I foresee a little bit of Chess in the future :biggrin:
Reply 37
Acaila
Hehe :biggrin: I'm good! I'm good!
I'm determined to act/direct musicals if I get into Cam. Another reason for applying to Robinson - they do a musical every year.
I foresee a little bit of Chess in the future :biggrin:

Wow! do they? I may have to reconsider my college of choice now! :P yeah im hoping to get into the muscal/drama scene in Cam too, if i get in. We're doing Grease! this year at school.

Woooo, chess!

*Sings "I Know Him So Well"*
Reply 38
The funniest thing is when people on this forum who have not attended either university (the Oxbridge-to-be students and next year's applicants) catagorically state that 'Oxford has a better social scene' and 'Cambridge is far more academic'. Honestly - you can be certain that this is the case from the 3 hours you spent at each place on open days? :rolleyes:

I've said this to several people on this forum via PM - if you want something approaching a subjective opinion, talk to someone who has studied at both Unis. Otherwise, try not to just repeat the stereotypes ad nauseum because it's really very boring.
Reply 39
katiyakat
The funniest thing is when people on this forum who have not attended either university (the Oxbridge-to-be students and next year's applicants) catagorically state that 'Oxford has a better social scene' and 'Cambridge is far more academic'. Honestly - you can be certain that this is the case from the 3 hours you spent at each place on open days? :rolleyes:

I've said this to several people on this forum via PM - if you want something approaching a subjective opinion, talk to someone who has studied at both Unis. Otherwise, try not to just repeat the stereotypes ad nauseum because it's really very boring.

I think most people are repeating what they've read that has been posted by actual students though...as opposed to claiming its from their own experience. In which case....it's kinda second hand information...from a reliable source?

G

Latest

Trending

Trending