What do you believe is the origin of "Life"??

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    Adam and Eve was the beginning of life imo.
    Humans are a product of evolution. There is no evidence for Adam and Eve, nor is there any evidence that all humanity descended from just two individuals, in fact there's evidence countering this. Where the smallest population bottle neck could not have been 2 individuals, but rather somewhere along the lines of 10,000 individuals roughly, give or take a 1000, to account for all the human beings living today and all their genetic variation contained.

I do believe in evolution but not that we came from apes and stuff. i believe that evolution takes place in cases such as humans becoming shorter over thousands of years.

one thing i dont understand is that if we did come from apes then why are we the only evolved species?
    Others have already responded to this. I'm not surprised by your statements, many Muslim apologists are often scientifically illiterate, aside from parading around unsubstantiated religious myths, often parading further unscientific tripe i.e. scientific miracles.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Muslim, and god created everything. If i was to convince you that god is the origin of life and the Quran is word of god (as well as the unedited bible and torah). The Quran states all stages of a baby being developed in the womb. The Quran was revealed like a few 1000 years ago and scientists just found that out recently (by recently i mean last century). Scientists checked and said it was impeccably accurate. The Quran contains quite a lot of science you know. It also contains information about how the universe started and stated the theory of the big bang is correct however it was created through the heavens and hell (something like that). God also said he gave our ability a limit to think. We have done so much in terms of science however when we try think about the fact God was never born and would never die it kind of makes your head hurt. He did this because he is using this world as a test and has only given us the Quran and religion as a way of seeing if we are actually his servants or astray (due to the devil).

Just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    This thread is actually hurting me because of the definition of theory that has been so convoluted that it is now twisted into how someone now wants it to be rather than what it is actually.
    A hypothesis is a testble scientific statement that allows for research to be directly drawn from it. THEY CAN NEVER BE PROVEN, ONLY REFUTED.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielOH)
    At literally no point did I say it was a guess. No matter how much evidence of the types you mentioned you gather, evolution never becomes certain, because it is a SYNTHETIC PROPOSITION.
    Its as certain as anything can be.If you are saying that you can't know from the evidence of our senses that its true because our senses may be wrong.Well yes they could be.However at some point you have to accept things exist.Otherwise you could just say my senses are wrong so I might not exist.If you are going to do science then you have to accept certain things as fact.You have to accept that you exist.You have to accept that the earth is a sphere.Its not going to be disproven anytime soon.Anything else is just being pedantic.If you don't accept that you exist then you should just give up the whole enterprise.A t some point you draw a line and say that this is fact.
    The earth is spherical.Fact.It orbits the sun.Fact.The sun is a star.Another fact.These are just things you have to accept as fact.Yeah our senses could be completely wrong but then why bother doing anything at all? You just have to assume that our senses are right otherwise the whole thing collapses.And if thats not what you meant by synthetic Proposition then what is it? I googled it and Kant came up.Annoying guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Its as certain as anything can be.If you are saying that you can't know from the evidence of our senses that its true because our senses may be wrong.Well yes they could be.However at some point you have to accept things exist.Otherwise you could just say my senses are wrong so I might not exist.If you are going to do science then you have to accept certain things as fact.You have to accept that you exist.You have to accept that the earth is a sphere.Its not going to be disproven anytime soon.Anything else is just being pedantic.If you don't accept that you exist then you should just give up the whole enterprise.A t some point you draw a line and say that this is fact.
    The earth is spherical.Fact.It orbits the sun.Fact.The sun is a star.Another fact.These are just things you have to accept as fact.Yeah our senses could be completely wrong but then why bother doing anything at all? You just have to assume that our senses are right otherwise the whole thing collapses.And if thats not what you meant by synthetic Proposition then what is it? I googled it and Kant came up.Annoying guy.
    Mate, you just picked a fight with a philosophy student. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    Also, the Earth isn't spherical. It's pitted and scored with various peaks and troughs and as such, by definition is not a sphere.

ReputationRep:
    While our senses can be wrong, that's not what I'm getting at. Unless a proposition is infallible, it is not fact. "Every swan is white" is a theory until we count every swan. "The sun will come up tomorrow", no matter how much evidence we gather about astrophysics, is a theory until the sun comes up tomorrow. Evolution is a theory until we build a time machine, go back, and watch the missing link become us.

ReputationRep:
    If we get down to the scientific nitty-gritty we are actually all derived from stars due to the process of nuclear fission that is currently being undertaken by every single star that has existed. These elements eventually are dispersed by the stars and will have at some point settled on earth to synthesize the first amino acids, carbohydrates and proteins from the primordial ooze. Eventually these compounds build up and begin to form the basis of something entirely new. Prokaryotic cells and Eukaryota. From there, we can eventually trace all linage of plants, fungi, bacteria and animals to where we now are and everything that surrounds us.

I believe in the scientific method, this has yet to be disproved but then again, as do all others. Perhaps creationism did occur and there is a sentient, omnipotent being that has guided over very existence. However, I am a cynic and as of yet, there is more evidence to suggest evolutionary theory is the most likely cause.

ReputationRep:
    http://thecrashcourse.com/video?id=sjE-Pkjp3u4

ReputationRep:
    While our senses can be wrong, that's not what I'm getting at. Unless a proposition is infallible, it is not fact. "Every swan is white" is a theory until we count every swan. "The sun will come up tomorrow", no matter how much evidence we gather about astrophysics, is a theory until the sun comes up tomorrow. Evolution is a theory until we build a time machine, go back, and watch the missing link become us.
    That really is being pedantic.You are basically saying that evolution is not a fact because there are no true facts.You are being picky about the definitions of words.By all commonly accepted standards outside of philosophy it is a fact.Like I said at some point you have to draw a line under it and say this is a fact.It doesn't make sense to go through life saying " all swans are white until otherwise disproven" or "the earth orbits the sun except maybe not this year." You just say that that is a fact.And we do that because it is easier and simpler. At some point you have enough evidence to say it is fact and by that standard evolution is.I cba to debate about the true meaning of the word fact.

ReputationRep:
    bacteria, deposited by an asteroid.

ReputationRep:
    The dark lord Qu'neth

ReputationRep:
    There are 3 types of knowledge.

1. Knowledge that is thought out .

2. Knowledge that is learned from others .

3. Knowledge that is gained by psychic development or practice .

If you want to clearly understand the origin of life , you need number 3.

Some unknown things can't be detected by lab apparatuses . Do you think psychic waves exist? Sometimes you can sense someone staring at you in the public place,right? That's psychic wave!

Name:  1476348570653.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  11.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So the only time something is 'proven' is if you've seen it yourself? Seems pretty narrow-minded to me. Not smart. Not philosophical. Narrow minded.

Do you eat breakfast in the morning, or do you just starve because you can't prove it isn't poisoned?

When you decide to live in the real world again, hopefully you'll realise that the evidence for evolution is overwhelming and that it is proven beyond all reasonable doubt, and that being such a pedant helps no one.

ReputationRep:
    A collision with Earth, of which was an asteroid. The correct chemical interaction from the impact could have resulted in the basic structures that allow for life, with of course there being the correct conditions for life to form on Earth. It all may have just happened from luck. This is jusy a theory, i am not saying it is true however i feel it could potentially be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    one thing i dont understand is that if we did come from apes then why are we the only evolved species?
    Oh no.

(Original post by Mactotaur)
    Nobody is quite sure. What we do know is that time didn't exist before the Big Bang.
    Now this is genuinely confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Oh no.

Now this is genuinely confusing.
    I believe Hawking's done a few essays on it; you can probably find them online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William2813)
    A collision with Earth, of which was an asteroid. The correct chemical interaction from the impact could have resulted in the basic structures that allow for life, with of course there being the correct conditions for life to form on Earth. It all may have just happened from luck. This is jusy a theory, i am not saying it is true however i feel it could potentially be.
    There is a theory that all life on earth actually comes from mars.Since we know some microbes can survive in the conditions of outer space.The theory goes that we know mars was once wet with oceans on it.Life could have originated on mars and then migrated to earth through meteorites.The meteorites would have protected the microbes from the worst of the cosmic rays and meteorites from mars regularly end up on earth.That would technically make everyone martians.Of course that is just a theory but would be cool if true.However I think it doesnt really solve how life got started in the first place and just pushes the problem back to mars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    There are 3 types of knowledge.

1. Knowledge that is thought out .

2. Knowledge that is learned from others .

3. Knowledge that is gained by psychic development or practice .

If you want to clearly understand the origin of life , you need number 3.

Some unknown things can't be detected by lab apparatuses . Do you think psychic waves exist? Sometimes you can sense someone staring at you in the public place,right? That's psychic wave!

Name:  1476348570653.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  11.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is a theory that all life on earth actually comes from mars.Since we know some microbes can survive in the conditions of outer space.The theory goes that we know mars was once wet with oceans on it.Life could have originated on mars and then migrated to earth through meteorites.The meteorites would have protected the microbes from the worst of the cosmic rays and meteorites from mars regularly end up on earth.That would technically make everyone martians.Of course that is just a theory but would be cool if true.However I think it doesnt really solve how life got started in the first place and just pushes the problem back to mars.
    This theory is amazing, i wish it to be true so ill choose to believe it if people are to ask my thoughts on the origin of life i think i will discuss your point. Yes that is more of a theory stating how life arrived on Earth rather than how life as a whole began. But still as we both agreed, very interesting and cool

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.