M410 – Children’s Playgrounds Motion 2016

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    31% of children aged 2–15 are overweight or obese, and the direct cost of obesity to the NHS is estimated to be £4.2bn a year. 'Obesity related treatements' don't exactly come cheap.
    Well then, they won't be able to afford the food that's costing them so much money in treatment.

Isn't it funny how smokers are disgusting people who should be punished for putting so much money into the NHS, people who drink, are dreadful and should have to pay for the extra NHS use that comes with it, but fatties? Nah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Well then, they won't be able to afford the food that's costing them so much money in treatment.

Isn't it funny how smokers are disgusting people who should be punished for putting so much money into the NHS, people who drink, are dreadful and should have to pay for the extra NHS use that comes with it, but fatties? Nah.
    A small minority of people who are overweight are that size due to a medical condition and your point is unclear. Are you saying that overwight people should be targeted more by the press and the general public?

By protecting our playgrounds, you would be able to tackle the issue of obesity at a grassroots level. Of course other measures would need to be put in place as well but this would be a good start.

ReputationRep:
    'Obesity related treatements' don't exactly come cheap.
    There's a very simple treatment for obesity: a caloric deficit.

However, you then need to spend money on educating people about it.

ReputationRep:
    With more people living in small houses or flats without gardens, playgrounds become more important as a social and learning space for children. It is not just about exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    There's a very simple treatment for obesity: a caloric deficit.

However, you then need to spend money on educating people about it.
    That's true but playgrounds offer children a chance to have fun but exercise at the same time, not particularly noticing the latter.

ReputationRep:
    This is something for the local authorities to handle but it does raise an issue of spending f at local level.

ReputationRep:
    How do you propose we tackle the obesity crisis?
    On a fundamental level I don't think "we" should but whilst the NHS exists I'd support making people pay for treating health problems caused by their own bad choices including obesity.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite simple: fat shame and make obese people contribute to obesity related treatments.
    "Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

Eat less? Of course not.

Many obese people are addicted to food, is what I'm saying. The difference between a heroin addiction and a food addiction is that going cold turkey on one of them will kill you, and it's not the heroin.
    "Food addiction" is the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard and even if it exists it's hardly comparable to heroin addiction. Nothing's stopping fatties from making better choices regarding their diet and exercise routine.

ReputationRep:
    A small minority of people who are overweight are that size due to a medical condition and your point is unclear. Are you saying that overwight people should be targeted more by the press and the general public?

By protecting our playgrounds, you would be able to tackle the issue of obesity at a grassroots level. Of course other measures would need to be put in place as well but this would be a good start.
    When was the last time you saw a fat kid in the playground, or even many kids for that matter? It would make sense if they're heavily used, but then they should be safe anyway if that's the case

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When was the last time you saw a fat kid in the playground, or even many kids for that matter? It would make sense if they're heavily used, but then they should be safe anyway if that's the case

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know Jammy because I don't lurk around playgrounds but what I do know is that playgrounds have been an important part of child development and enjoyment for many decades and without protection, they won't be around for future generations to enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know Jammy because I don't lurk around playgrounds but what I do know is that playgrounds have been an important part of child development and enjoyment for many decades and without protection, they won't be around for future generations to enjoy.
    I guess you don't go outside much then.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you don't go outside much then.
    Lol. How is 'not lurking around playgrounds' not going outside much?

ReputationRep:
    Lol. How is 'not lurking around playgrounds' not going outside much?
    Because you don't need to lurk to observe, even at what would be seen as the peak times for playgrounds pretty much all I ever see is parents that are basically just there to chat to each other.

ReputationRep:
    Because you don't need to lurk to observe, even at what would be seen as the peak times for playgrounds pretty much all I ever see is parents that are basically just there to chat to each other.
    Yes, but I'm not a parent so I have no need to visit children's playgrounds...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I'm not a parent so I have no need to visit children's playgrounds...
    Implying that the only reason to go close enough to observe is to go to, funnily enough they tend to be in public areas, for instance the one in my village is right next to the village hall and I go past it whenever I go out on my bike, the ones near where I work are on the bus route and I walk past them to get to the bus. You don't need to be going explicitly to a location to be able to observe it.

ReputationRep:
    Implying that the only reason to go close enough to observe is to go to, funnily enough they tend to be in public areas, for instance the one in my village is right next to the village hall and I go past it whenever I go out on my bike, the ones near where I work are on the bus route and I walk past them to get to the bus. You don't need to be going explicitly to a location to be able to observe it.
    I see. There did actually used to be a playground near where I live but it got closed down because the equipment wasn't maintained. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I see. There did actually used to be a playground near where I live but it got closed down because the equipment wasn't maintained. :rolleyes:
    Probably wasn't used much either which made the cost to maintain not worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably wasn't used much either which made the cost to maintain not worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As a matter of fact, it was always very busy when I went past it.

ReputationRep:
    As a matter of fact, it was always very busy when I went past it.
    And I assume no parish council changes to stop it? So much care for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And I assume no parish council changes to stop it? So much care for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a lack of funding.

Updated: October 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.