Duterte - How can anyone defend him?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke Kostanjsek)
    But every SEA country with a big drug problem hate drugs. And I dare say they'd know better than any of us, the effect it's had on their countries.
    And so does every SEA without one. So when you think about that you realise that their hatred for drugs may not rational, but cultural. Clearly they aren't that concerned about the drug trades addict victims, given the fact Duterte advocates killing them.

Duterte has essentially raised a militia against the drugs trade. If this is a ploy, he's either the most stupid person in the world or so far ahead of the rest of us he's going to take over the world.
    I doubt it is a ploy. He probably just enjoys throwing his weight around, he is clearly power hungry, sadistic and psychopathic. I mean, this is the same guy who said he'd have enjoyed raping a woman.

Ah yes. Eradicate corruption. Why didn't anyone else think of that?
    I
    It's a tough job, but with the power he has it's not impossible. I don't think murdering millions of people is the answer.

Their power is almost entirely secured by the drugs trade. You seem completely oblivious to quite how powerful the drug barons are in the Philippines, and how much of a vice they have the country in.

I'm sure it's very powerful. But I don't see how any drug trade can be that powerful in a country where, as you say yourself, drugs are so clearly viewed extremely negatively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    And so does every SEA without one. So when you think about that you realise that their hatred for drugs may not rational, but cultural. Clearly they aren't that concerned about the drug trades addict victims, given the fact Duterte advocates killing them.
    Are there any SEA countries without drugs problems? Perhaps not to the same extent as the Philippines, but trafficking is more or less pervasive throughout the region.

I doubt it is a ploy. He probably just enjoys throwing his weight around, he is clearly power hungry, sadistic and psychopathic. I mean, this is the same guy who said he'd have enjoyed raping a woman.
    He certainly says plenty of unsavoury things, but again, I'd say he comes across almost as a zealot, fanatically devoted to ridding the Philippines of its drugs problem. He probably believes he's answering some kind of higher calling. This is all obviously conjecture though.

It's a tough job, but with the power he has it's not impossible. I don't think murdering millions of people is the answer.
    Murdering millions of people isn't the ideal answer, but it certainly is an answer. If you kill everyone who in anyway is dependant on or part of the drugs trade, then the drugs industry loses its power. And given as no one has come up with an alternative solution - I mean, just look at the failures of Western governments in trying to tackle far less pervasive drugs industries - it's increasingly looking like no one has any better ideas.

I'm sure it's very powerful. But I don't see how any drug trade can be that powerful in a country where, as you say yourself, drugs are so clearly viewed extremely negatively.
    Well it isn't. But money is that powerful. In poor SEA countries, money talks louder than anything else. And the drugs trade is worth a hell of a lot of money. If you remove the drugs trade, the corrupt politicians will be rooted out with ease. It may be brutal, callous and psychotic, but it could well end up being effective.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.