How many state school students at Oxbridge?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: % state school students at Oxbridge
    10%
    14.18%
    20%
    8.75%
    30%
    15.78%
    40%
    18.13%
    50%
    13.69%
    60%
    23.06%
    70%
    3.45%
    80%
    0.86%
    90%
    2.10%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Not on the website - the data is all public domain but it's all in separate spreadsheets for each year.

And I'm a sad muppet so....

Attachment 586518
    PRSOM PRSOM PRSOM...

Thanking you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a fresher at Cambridge, it seems the majority of "state-school" students here come from the top grammar schools of the country, it's really unfortunate but sadly it's the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizbox)
    Speaking as a fresher at Cambridge, it seems the majority of "state-school" students here come from the top grammar schools of the country, it's really unfortunate but sadly it's the truth.
    Nope. Comps were 20% of the 2015 total intake (not just UK students), Grammars were 17%. Sixth Form Colleges 7%.

I imagine 2016 would be similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thought it'd be lower, just goes to show how standards are slipping at the top universities nowdays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Nope. Comps were 20% of the 2015 total intake (not just UK students), Grammars were 17%. Sixth Form Colleges 7%.

I imagine 2016 would be similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh, grammars being nearly equal to comprehensives is still pretty bad considering 5% of schools are grammars and at least 70% are comprehensive - although is this slightly wrong as that would add up to 44 not even close to 60??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    Thought it'd be lower, just goes to show how standards are slipping at the top universities nowdays.
    :troll:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domaths)
    Tbh, grammars being nearly equal to comprehensives is still pretty bad considering 5% of schools are grammars and at least 70% are comprehensive - although is this slightly wrong as that would add up to 44 not even close to 60??
    70% of sixth forms are not comprehensives. (awaits PQ... )

The 44 is from total intake including internationals. The 60 is UK only.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah that makes sense, thought Cambridge had low amount of international students for some reason but that would make it around 25%

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah that makes sense, thought Cambridge had low amount of international students for some reason but that would make it around 25%
    Yes 25% of total intake is non UK (EU & international)

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a..._2015_cyle.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Scary that one in ten respondents to this poll thought that the proportion of Oxbridge students educated at a state school was 10%.
    The Brideshead view of Oxbridge is still pretty widespread among the general population. Even quite well read people who have not had first hand experience of Oxbridge can hold these views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    The Brideshead view of Oxbridge is still pretty widespread among the general population. Even quite well read people who have not had first hand experience of Oxbridge can hold these views.
    And yet 2.5% think it's 90% state... maybe by next year...

ReputationRep:
    70% of sixth forms are not comprehensives. (awaits PQ... )

Just saw your edit, according to this from 2011 http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-conten...port-final.pdf only around 55% of sixth forms are comprehensive, but non-selective state schools make up 75% which is why I probably got confused. But still 55% of schools getting 20% of offers while 5% of schools get 17% doesn't sound that right to me!

ReputationRep:
    Just saw your edit, according to this from 2011 http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-conten...port-final.pdf only around 55% of sixth forms are comprehensive, but non-selective state schools make up 75% which is why I probably got confused. But still 55% of schools getting 20% of offers while 5% of schools get 17% doesn't sound that right to me!
    Oh there's no doubt there's still plenty of outreach work to be done by Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    Oh there's no doubt there's still plenty of outreach work to be done by Oxbridge
    I'm hoping the effects are starting to trickle through actually since my school was one outreached 3 years ago and now I'm applying - to the college that hosted the outreach day as well! I can keep some peace in mind that most of the statistics aren't really Oxbridge's fault when lots of the under representation starts with the application figures

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping the effects are starting to trickle through actually since my school was one outreached 3 years ago and now I'm applying - to the college that hosted the outreach day as well! I can keep some peace in mind that most of the statistics aren't really Oxbridge's fault when lots of the under representation starts with the application figures
    Good stuff! And good luck

Yes the main task of outreach is to fundamentally encourage more applications. The secondary task is to improve the quality of those applications.

ReputationRep:
    What percentage of the approx 55% of state schooled students went to grammar schools...?

ReputationRep:
    Survey seems a bit dodgy however, as including primary school teachers who don't advise on university's is an obvious way to bring the figures down to make teachers look bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexS101)
    Survey seems a bit dodgy however, as including primary school teachers who don't advise on university's is an obvious way to bring the figures down to make teachers look bad.
    Yes I was thinking that too. We would need to see the source data...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But if @Fullofsurprises is correct about the income distributions of parents the percentage state school involvement is a complete red herring. You set specific targets and it opens gateways for savvy parents to squeeze their offspring through. Nothing wrong with savvy parents of course but it would be wrong to claim the system is becoming more 'fair'.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.