Currently and year 11 and have no hope

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShikaMekiFuka)
    I really want to go sixth form to go and study medicine at uni but my grades have slipped down massively . I am a C/D student in nearly all my subjects except science which I am actually A and B . I try really hard to study the other subjects but I always end up failing them or getting C minimum which annoys me because I really try hard . I do not want to disappoint my family as they believe I am a top student just because I got A in my sciences but they do not acknowledge my other subjects. I am feeling depressed because I feel I want get the GCSEs I need to become a doctor or medical engineer. I am currently struggling at maths and English lit ! Maths for me is a pain I revise and revise but in the mocks completly different questions come up and English literature I am good at interpreting like an A student but my grades goes down to a D for usually failing at analysing if not at the other . Any tips ? Because I feel like hell. I am always predicted the lowest in the class even do my coursework in every subject is up to standards .I would be happy with few A and B in GCSE
    Hi! I just took my GCSEs this previous summer. Some of these tips might be a bit obvious:
    • Sleep well - seriously. Don't go off watching anime/youtube videos or playing games like I did. I still did what I had to do, but it took me a while to get my health back once I fell ill.
    • Love your subjects - I'm not sure if you've heard about the FISH attitude, but the point is to have fun doing whatever you do. Study with friends - my classmates and I are planning a 'Maths movie night' where we watch revision videos, eat, and practise questions.
    • Do as many exam questions as possible. A different subject paper each week really helps.
    • Don't be afraid to use your teachers as much as possible. Keep asking questions, bring in extra work you've done, set aside time for them to help you with challenging exam questions from previous GCSE exams. They tend to be more willing to help you if you show a proactive interest.
    • If you have tests each term, use them to test out revision methods - try out podcasts, videos, flashcards or games. The more interactive, the better.
    • Teach others younger than you - it's often a good idea to mentor someone in the years below (Y9 or 10) so that you're revisiting topics you haven't done in a long time, and you're learning to express what you know in a clear way.
    • Be POSITIVE about your mistakes - it's easy to waste time being depressed about how you didn't reach your target, but you really need to make sure that you know what went wrong and you're sure it won't happen again.
    • Before the tests make sure to relax a little. Have a snack and a drink, listen to calming music and if you're religious, pray.
    • Use the weekends to review anything new you've learnt, but don't overdo it. The weekend is your chance to relax before facing off the new week.
    • Go through your own past tests with your teachers. If you didn't understand a question, get them to explain it to you and practise similar ones.
    English was a tough nut for me to crack until the actual exam - keep doing practice questions and mark yourself harshly. Watch different movies related to your literature novels and observe the different ways they can be interpreted. Aim for challenging the status quo ideas and provide justification for that - in a way, try to play devil's advocate with your texts.

Sorry it's such a long list, but looking back these really helped me with my GCSEs and are helping me with my A-Levels at the moment. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomeyz_01)
    Just make sure you create a revision timetable and write down all the subjects you find challenging
    To make it better write down all the topics you find even more challenging and spend half and hour or 45 minutes on them
    And then print off past papers that have all those topics and do them
    Then check the mark shemes for those questions and keep revising if you fail them
    Hope that helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You seem really organised! I'm the sort that hates revision timetables with a passion. I definitely agree with the past papers - do them until you've done all that is available.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go sixth form to go and study medicine at uni but my grades have slipped down massively . I am a C/D student in nearly all my subjects except science which I am actually A and B . I try really hard to study the other subjects but I always end up failing them or getting C minimum which annoys me because I really try hard . I do not want to disappoint my family as they believe I am a top student just because I got A in my sciences but they do not acknowledge my other subjects. I am feeling depressed because I feel I want get the GCSEs I need to become a doctor or medical engineer. I am currently struggling at maths and English lit ! Maths for me is a pain I revise and revise but in the mocks completly different questions come up and English literature I am good at interpreting like an A student but my grades goes down to a D for usually failing at analysing if not at the other . Any tips ? Because I feel like hell. I am always predicted the lowest in the class even do my coursework in every subject is up to standards .I would be happy with few A and B in GCSE
    For maths, I recommend doing lots and lots of past papers over and over again- it doesn't matter if u do the same one more than once, in fact I recommend that!
    At the start of yr10 I was predicted a d/c and before that believe me I was far worse but I found a tutor and worked hard- making sure I got the basics right I eventually found out that I wasn't that bad it was those basics that were letting me down and I started to enjoy maths. The real turning point was when I got a B at the end of yr10 (we did foundation in the mock as our teacher got us to do do foundations two ur course in a year as weren't meant to do foundation in our finals) but I guess as we did it in class our teacher may have thought I knew the answers
    After a while I was only ever getting Bs and she saw that improvement but my marks started to go down but at the same grade and consequently I went from a predicted b to b/c
    I worked hard and ended up with an A
    Resources to use:
    Hegarty maths website (create an account to manage revision) and YouTube videos
    Raw maths on YouTube
    Mathsgenie topic past papers( they have Topic past papers a video for each topic solutions and markschemes)
    Find a tutor its never too late as I learnt from physics - found one 7weeks before first exam went from a low d in yr11 mock to an A (I started on Fs in yr10)

For English I was always sure I'd do well but my grades didn't show that as due to not using the extra time I am given I never used to finish and consequently would on get Low B- Cs and was sure my teachers didn't know how I was put in set 2
    I used my extra time In the exams and (though I didn't revise that hard -may have been nice examiners- highly recommend revising though ) I made sure questions the teacher set were always completed now matter what (yes I sometimes spent two hours on one q) and did try to attempt q's as well as analysing key quotations . I came out with an A* in eng language and A in literature after dropping down from predicted 2As to 2 B/As
    I recommend analysing articles and practising summarising (don't know about other boards but there were 3qs In OCR :summary, language analysis and then tone analysis)
    I was pretty bad at summarising but actually had a pretty nice article that made it easy to summarise
    For literature make sure you read the novels and play(s) as well as analysing a few poems (I f you r doing unseen poetry do random one if not those of the poet y r studying)!. Nearer to exams open up your texts to random pages and invent a q similar to the kind that will be on The exam and always ask for help if needed. I didn't as I enjoyed English so thought a tutor would really be annoying but if you're struggling find one cos it's never too late
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keen_student)
    Hi! I just took my GCSEs this previous summer. Some of these tips might be a bit obvious:
    • Sleep well - seriouosly. Don't go off watching anime/youtube videos or playing games like I did. I still did what I had to do, but it took me a while to get my health back once I fell ill.
    • Love your subjects - I'm not sure if you've heard about the FISH attitude, but the point is to have fun doing whatever you do. Study with friends - my classmates and I are planning a 'Maths movie night' where we watch revision videos, eat, and practise questions.
    • Do as many exam questions as possible. A different subject paper each week really helps.
    • Don't be afraid to use your teachers as much as possible. Keep asking questions, bring in extra work you've done, set aside time for them to help you with challenging exam questions from previous GCSE exams. They tend to be more willing to help you if you show a proactive interest.
    • If you have tests each term, use them to test out revision methods - try out podcasts, videos, flashcards or games. The more interactive, the better.
    • Teach others younger than you - it's often a good idea to mentor someone in the years below (Y9 or 10) so that you're revisiting topics you haven't done in a long time, and you're learning to express what you know in a clear way.
    • Be POSITIVE about your mistakes - it's easy to waste time being depressed about how you didn't reach your target, but you really need to make sure that you know what went wrong and you're sure it won't happen again.
    • Before the tests make sure to relax a little. Have a snack and a drink, listen to calming music and if you're religious, pray.
    • Use the weekends to review anything new you've learnt, but don't overdo it. The weekend is your chance to relax before facing off the new week.
    • Go through your own past tests with your teachers. If you didn't understand a question, get them to explain it to you and practise similar ones.
    English was a tough nut for me to crack until the actual exam - keep doing practice questions and mark yourself harshly. Watch different movies related to your literature novels and observe the different ways they can be interpreted. Aim for challenging the status quo ideas and provide justification for that - in a way, try to play devil's advocate with your texts.

Sorry it's such a long list, but looking back these really helped me with my GCSEs and are helping me with my A-Levels at the moment. Best of luck!
    omg thanks u so much I will definite remember this tips

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    For English forget about the mark scheme. As you said, it means nothing. Just leave a piece of work for one or two weeks, then come back and give it death by highlighter. Crticise and improve.
    I will definitely do that , thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    omg thanks u so much I will definite remember this tips
    No problem! Thanks for responding, and I hope at least one tip proves helpful. If there are any subjects you struggle with, or you have any questions, you can drop me a message. I did these subjects for GCSE/IGCSEs:
    • Maths
    • English Language
    • English Literature
    • ICT
    • Chemistry
    • Biology
    • Physics
    • Religious Studies
    • Geography
    • Art and Design
    • Spanish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keen_student)
    No problem! Thanks for responding, and I hope at least one tip proves helpful. If there are any subjects you struggle with, or you have any questions, you can drop me a message. I did these subjects for GCSE/IGCSEs:
    • Maths
    • English Language
    • English Literature
    • ICT
    • Chemistry
    • Biology
    • Physics
    • Religious Studies
    • Geography
    • Art and Design
    • Spanish
    Definetely

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.