Smokers: why do you smoke?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    **** reading this thread is making me want to go downstairs and buy a pack
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    It's just nice and relaxing. I don't smoke tobacco, but do occasionally at a party or if a colleage offers a smoke after a long day of work. It's really not that addictive tbh, just needs a lil self control. Although I can already feel a little demon nagging me for a cig, I just ignore it and limit myself to about 1 or 2 a week.

ReputationRep:
    I don't smoke but ngl when its a cold day and i blow and it looks like smoke it feels pretty cool lol... I'm guessing its because blowing smoke out your mouth looks pretty cool tbh...like a dragon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    I'd rather not buy stocks when it comes to tobacco, it's quite a dodgy industry to have a hand in, in my opinion
    It's highly regulated (which has its pros and cons), governments are tightening down on tobacco companies but they also can't resist the tax £££ they get.

Yes it may be ethically wrong to buy stock in a company whose sole objective is to increase tobacco sales and effectively kill off millions of people prematurely.

Still, doesn't stop Woodford (apparently UK's best fund manager) to allocate massive amounts of his portfolio to tobacco stocks.

ReputationRep:
    I started because I just always liked the idea of being able to take a few minutes outside where nothing matters. That, and I'd heard a lot about how it helps people feel less stressed and stuff, and I was very very stressed. I just smoke socially now, but I'm looking at giving that up as well after a bit of a wake up call. I'm trying to be more health conscious, so I'm trying to quit completely. That being said, I struggle on a night out without one. I love having a few minutes to go off by myself without looking weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    I started because I just always liked the idea of being able to take a few minutes outside where nothing matters. That, and I'd heard a lot about how it helps people feel less stressed and stuff, and I was very very stressed. I just smoke socially now, but I'm looking at giving that up as well after a bit of a wake up call. I'm trying to be more health conscious, so I'm trying to quit completely. That being said, I struggle on a night out without one. I love having a few minutes to go off by myself without looking weird
    Doesn't it cost a lot to smoke though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhenchodd)
    Doesn't it cost a lot to smoke though?
    Yeah, but if I just buy a pack of 10 for a night out it's just a bit more than the price of a drink, so it's not as big a deal

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but if I just buy a pack of 10 for a night out it's just a bit more than the price of a drink, so it's not as big a deal
    On a night out, how many would you smoke?

ReputationRep:
    On a night out, how many would you smoke?
    Anywhere between 3 and 10, depending on how long I'm out, when my last night out was, how much I'm drinking, and if anyone else is smoking

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere between 3 and 10, depending on how long I'm out, when my last night out was, how much I'm drinking, and if anyone else is smoking
    Have you ever felt nicotine withdrawal? Going through 10 cigarettes in one night is a lot, do you just keep lighting up?

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever felt nicotine withdrawal? Going through 10 cigarettes in one night is a lot, do you just keep lighting up?
    No, tbh. I felt more of an urge to smoke before I started smoking at all. I'd be standing around and I'd just crave one. I don't know why, maybe because I'd been around them so much as a kid, but that's where it stemmed from I guess. I don't crave the nicotine, more the social aspect of it. It's something to do with my hands, and gets me some quiet time when I need it. The drunker I am, the more I smoke. If I'm really drunk, I'll quite happily sit outside and just keep lighting up until I feel like I've overdone it

ReputationRep:
    No, tbh. I felt more of an urge to smoke before I started smoking at all. I'd be standing around and I'd just crave one. I don't know why, maybe because I'd been around them so much as a kid, but that's where it stemmed from I guess. I don't crave the nicotine, more the social aspect of it. It's something to do with my hands, and gets me some quiet time when I need it. The drunker I am, the more I smoke. If I'm really drunk, I'll quite happily sit outside and just keep lighting up until I feel like I've overdone it
    Which brand do you smoke?

ReputationRep:
    Which brand do you smoke?
    I smoke Richmond's. That being said, I always grab Marlboro menthols when I see them but that's very rare

ReputationRep:
    I smoke Richmond's. That being said, I always grab Marlboro menthols when I see them but that's very rare
    Richmond is owned by Imperial Tobacco.....

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-se...p-ordinary-10p

Marlboro is the most famous brand in the world owned by Altria Group.

ReputationRep:
    Richmond is owned by Imperial Tobacco.....

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-se...p-ordinary-10p

Marlboro is the most famous brand in the world owned by Altria Group.
    Interesting

ReputationRep:
    Interesting
    Tobacco market is essentially very closed, only a few big players in the market.

Altria Group, Reynolds American, British American Tobacco and Imperial Tobacco are the big guys.

ReputationRep:
    Ironically the CEO of Imperial Tobacco used to go to the sister school of my high school (Tiffin Girls School). I bet she is happy making millions killing off people.

ReputationRep:
    Tobacco market is essentially very closed, only a few big players in the market.

Altria Group, Reynolds American, British American Tobacco and Imperial Tobacco are the big guys.
    Yeah, I had noticed that recently actually. Especially with Imperial owning a lot of the cheaper brands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    I get this too lmao, if it didn't **** with my lung capacity/throat, I'd do it again just to trigger people who can't deal with the fact they get no say in what I can do with my body :lol:
    Hallelujah

I've actually witnessed a person lecture a smoker in public about her "bad habit" that is costing the NHS "billions". The most remarkable thing is that the smoker didn't just say "yeah, yeah, blah blah blah. **** you, I'll do whatever is legal and I don't take lectures from nobodies on the street".

Rather they react apologetically and are like "Yeah I know, I'm sorry, I tried to quit.." as if it's okay to be harassed by some shitfaced idiot in the middle of the street for smoking a fag.

It's perfectly okay not to want to have smoke blown in your face or to have it on your clothes or your hands. The smell isn't pleasant. But the amount of self-righteousness and the pleasure that people get from bashing smokers is disgusting. I'd rather be a smoker and die at 59 than one of those *******s.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I had noticed that recently actually. Especially with Imperial owning a lot of the cheaper brands
    Out of all those companies Imperial Tobacco has performed very well over the last few years, in the super long run Altria Group has outperformed them all. Mainly due to the buzz of the 80s and 90s with marlboro.

If I was an investor (which I am), my money would be on Reynolds American. It's the most fairly priced stock and holds the famous Camel brand of cigarettes. When stocks inflate, a lot of their future earnings get priced in, so we seek value in an expensive tobacco stock market.

These are still long term plays, double your money every 4-5 years on average. It's a super defensive sector, no recession will stop people smoking!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.