One of my friends called himself self employed, but is he really?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Do you want anything to change? If not, go right ahead and do nothing. Continue stagnating in your bitterness.
    I got him on the access course for this intake... Isn't that a BIG change?! Off the road of benefits and on to education, with the hope of work in the end?

ReputationRep:
    Many disabled people smoke and drink. Just as many non-disabled people smoke and drink.
    Doesn't mean that because a disabled person has vices, that their disability is no longer credible. Or that because a disabled person spends their living allowance on things that we don't personally agree with, that their disability is not genuine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    I got him on the access course for this intake... Isn't that a BIG change?! Off the road of benefits and on to education, with the hope of work in the end?
    What is the access course for?

Is there really any purpose?

Education is mostly a waste of time tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    £12k a year is far below average wage. It's not like he has much money to give back.
    Nah, it really isn't that far below average grad salary when you factor in the net grad salary after tax etc is deducted.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, you're not gonna get any more money just cause he gets less. I've lived through life with mates getting everything I wanted, even cuyrrently, but I wouldn't be complaining had I got the same so fk it, lucky them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)

access to a degree (humanities) I will see if i can get you the link... http://www.derby.ac.uk/study/access/

ReputationRep:
    access to a degree (humanities) I will see if i can get you the link... http://www.derby.ac.uk/study/access/
    Why would he want to do a humanities degree?

What on Earth would the purpose of that be?

ReputationRep:
    Why would he want to do a humanities degree?

What on Earth would the purpose of that be?
    Humanities as in English, Sociology, History, American studies, theatre studies. It covers a large range. But just because he is doing this, doesn't mean that he can't branch out if he gets good grades at the end of this year? The access element is only the first year!

ReputationRep:
    Humanities as in English, Sociology, History, American studies, theatre studies. It covers a large range. But just because he is doing this, doesn't mean that he can't branch out if he gets good grades at the end of this year? The access element is only the first year!
    I am aware of what humanities are, but really what good has your degree done you? An epic waste of time it seems. No real job route. No real wisdom gained, no actual useful experience.

Everyone seems to default to "more education is needed" these days and I don't know why because for most people it seems like a big waste of time. Why not just try and get into security work? Try the police from there? Just get entry level maths/english if he lacks that part time at night or something.

Hands on experience doing anything is probably more useful and I know you said he was disabled but... how is a degree going to remove his disability?

ReputationRep:
    I am aware of what humanities are, but really what good has your degree done you? An epic waste of time it seems. No real job route. No real wisdom gained, no actual useful experience.

Everyone seems to default to "more education is needed" these days and I don't know why because for most people it seems like a big waste of time. Why not just try and get into security work? Try the police from there? Just get entry level maths/english if he lacks that part time at night or something.

Hands on experience doing anything is probably more useful and I know you said he was disabled but... how is a degree going to remove his disability?
    I also have a disability, but i still did it. These are two different things here. What boyfriend can do with his life, with a degree, and what i can do.

With regards to bf, he was happy claiming benefits and getting wasted every day. Now I have got him off his ass, working towards goals, with an end in sight.

What it did for me? Kept me out of hospital for the last five years, met some fascinating people, and not just the lecturers, learnt how to read like a dog, write like a machine and google like an ai. The fact that i am nearly £24k extra in debt, is less important seeing as i only have to pay it back when i am earning. And it didn't occur to you that i might have actually enjoyed it? Plus i now know what i want my daughter to do when she leaves school!

ReputationRep:
    I also have a disability, but i still did it. These are two different things here. What boyfriend can do with his life, with a degree, and what i can do.

With regards to bf, he was happy claiming benefits and getting wasted every day. Now I have got him off his ass, working towards goals, with an end in sight.

What it did for me? Kept me out of hospital for the last five years, met some fascinating people, and not just the lecturers, learnt how to read like a dog, write like a machine and google like an ai. The fact that i am nearly £24k extra in debt, is less important seeing as i only have to pay it back when i am earning. And it didn't occur to you that i might have actually enjoyed it? Plus i now know what i want my daughter to do when she leaves school!
    Meh. I am not convinced good sir. Personally, way I see it, is that university mostly functions for youth as a good excuse to get pissed a lot and have a lot of sex. And for mature students as a sort of civil religion like subcultures or vegan movements or stuff, it is a way to boost their faltering ego and perhaps useful for them mentally but in reality it has no practical implication and the human would be a far better tool if they had spent their time doing other things - such as learning how to dance, learning how to dress properly, learning how to speak another language, you know, life skills? I suppose if you never -really- learnt how to read and the sort then it is fair enough though.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. I am not convinced good sir. Personally, way I see it, is that university mostly functions for youth as a good excuse to get pissed a lot and have a lot of sex. And for mature students as a sort of civil religion like subcultures or vegan movements or stuff, it is a way to boost their faltering ego and perhaps useful for them mentally but in reality it has no practical implication and the human would be a far better tool if they had spent their time doing other things - such as learning how to dance, learning how to dress properly, learning how to speak another language, you know, life skills? I suppose if you never -really- learnt how to read and the sort then it is fair enough though.
    You crack me up. Yes i really spent the last five years doing prodiguous amounts of reading, and staying up on all nighters on many a night, not to mention getting in trouble with more than a couple of lecturers, just so i can say 'i joined a vegan movement'! lol.

But seriously i never saw the big deal about throwing those funny square hats up in to the air, until after i got the grades my self, and did my time. Then i got it.!.

ReputationRep:
    You crack me up. Yes i really spent the last five years doing prodiguous amounts of reading, and staying up on all nighters on many a night, not to mention getting in trouble with more than a couple of lecturers, just so i can say 'i joined a vegan movement'! lol.

But seriously i never saw the big deal about throwing those funny square hats up in to the air, until after i got the grades my self, and did my time. Then i got it.!.
    Yet for all your reading you still seem to have the intelligence of an 18 year old fresh out of school. What I said never suggested you were remotely into veganism...?

I said that university often fills the same sort of hole in mature student's lives that subcultures and vegan movement groups do. Suffice to say I have no idea what it done for you career prospect wise, but I do know it gave you a lot of debt... I am glad to hear you enjoyed though at least.

ReputationRep:

Maybe to those from stable backgrounds, with some opportunity. But to those from deprived backgrounds, simple educational courses can make a big difference to their lives, on a psychological, professional and social level.

ReputationRep:

How ignorant to think that education in the humanities has nothing to offer in regards to gaining wisdom. How narrow sighted. I'm actually surprised, I thought you had a basic level of intelligence, I wonder if I have confused you for another poster.

Boyfriend???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    How ignorant to think that education in the humanities has nothing to offer in regards to gaining wisdom. How narrow sighted. I'm actually surprised, I thought you had a basic level of intelligence, I wonder if I have confused you for another poster.

Boyfriend???
    Well it can do. I study a humanity in philosophy myself. However I believe for the vast majority of people neither a science degree or a humanity one provides them with much wisdom about how life works. The number of people that leave university without the most simple of people skills and empathy absolutely blows my mind. Why spend so much time reading books if you come out with no "uncommon sense" and no contacts or relevant work experience? Well, frankly there is none and that ignores the fact that student debt is a thing!

Most of the most important things in life I have learnt so far I have learnt through my own observances or through being told it by another person, which is to say not via rigorous academic study and debate, or reading through academic articles or books.

ReputationRep:

Nice to see that you benefited from uni. What job are you in now>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Nice to see that you benefited from uni. What job are you in now>
    only voluntary work. one for social media, and i am hoping to start another gardening one soon too!

ReputationRep:
    But there appear to be lots of people claiming disability benefits, when they are kind of faking it. Or is it just me that thinks this????
    Unfortunately not, there's a lot of ignorance in the world, sadly.

Here's the thing. I work with people with disabilities, helping them fill in forms. You don't know what's going on with their body until you talk to them in-depth. They don't have to be in a wheelchair to be considered disabled and many conditions fluctuate on a daily basis or require you to limit your activity on most days. Doesn't mean you can't do anything at all on any given day.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.