Are my GCSE's good enough for Cambridge?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveire&song)
    You never know whether you'll get an offer or not! I applied to Oxford with 6 A*s at GCSE, AAAB at AS level, and a prediction of A*A*A* at A level (which I later acheived) and AA at AS level (I took two extra AS levels in year 13) and was rejected! I know people who applied with a lot "worse" grades who got offers. They're looking for a lot more than just your grades!

At the end of the day, you get 5 different applications on your UCAS form. If you don't use one of those applying to Cambridge, you'll always end up wondering "what if I had applied and...?". Just don't get too hung up on the result - there are more than two universities in the UK. I didn't get into Oxford, and I love the university I ended up at and the degree I am on

Summary: You definitely won't get a place if you don't apply!

Good luck x
    Ok thanks, and wow, your results are amazing. And what do you mean by 5 different applications of UCAS form? I'm sorry, but I know next to nothing about these lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousEric)
    Ok thanks, and wow, your results are amazing. And what do you mean by 5 different applications of UCAS form? I'm sorry, but I know next to nothing about these lol.
    Thank you very much!

And also, you get to apply to five different courses (unless you're applying to medicine, then it's slightly different). So for mine, I applied for Physics (MPhys) at Oxford, Durham, Exeter, Lancaster and York. I was pretty sure I'd get offers from Durham, Exeter, Lancaster and York , so I didn't mind using the fifth one to apply to Oxford It didn't matter that I probably wouldn't get a place because I knew I'd end up with at least three other offers, so it was worth taking the gamble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveire&song)
    Thank you very much!

And also, you get to apply to five different courses (unless you're applying to medicine, then it's slightly different). So for mine, I applied for Physics (MPhys) at Oxford, Durham, Exeter, Lancaster and York. I was pretty sure I'd get offers from Durham, Exeter, Lancaster and York , so I didn't mind using the fifth one to apply to Oxford It didn't matter that I probably wouldn't get a place because I knew I'd end up with at least three other offers, so it was worth taking the gamble.
    Ah, I understand, thank you for explaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousEric)
    How can I get any AS levels, if I'm not doing any exams in year 12?
    You will have to rely on a very good performance in Y12 and getting good predicted grades for your A-levels. That might get you an interview, and then the interview together with the Cambridge Law Test may get you an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You will have to rely on a very good performance in Y12 and getting good predicted grades for your A-levels. That might get you an interview, and then the interview together with the Cambridge Law Test may get you an offer.
    Thank you, you've been very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Realistically no: not because Cambridge particularly care about GCSEs, but because the sort of individual that populate its Law course (and indeed, that of virtually any Russell Group Magic Circle clearing-house) would not achieve below A* in History, English Language or English Literature—essentially, subjects which reward elementary analytical and rhetorical flair—unless they were suffering from acute head trauma at the time of the relevant exam.

Of course, I should hope that the above salvo of derision only cements your resolve to prove me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Realistically no: not because Cambridge particularly care about GCSEs, but because the sort of individual that populate its Law course (and indeed, that of virtually any Russell Group Magic Circle clearing-house) would not achieve below A* in History, English Language or English Literature—essentially, subjects which reward elementary analytical and rhetorical flair—unless they were suffering from acute head trauma at the time of the relevant exam.

Of course, I should hope that the above salvo of derision only cements your resolve to prove me wrong.
    You would be correct, Sir, in that assumption aha. And yeah, I understand; I messed up in all History, Lit and Lang exams, close to A* in all, not 3, 4 or 5 in them, so not enough for a remark. Although in fairness, I could use the argument that I was in the bottom set for English at my school, where the teacher only catered to the needs of C/D grade students.

ReputationRep:
    You made a good choice by choosing to study the subjects which you did well in at GCSE, as when looking at your GCSEs they will care more about what you got in your most relevant subjects. However you said you are targeted ABB, however you will need to get AAA at AS to be competitive AND will need to be predicted at least A*AA. It's not impossible, I know of people who have gotten into Cambridge (and Oxford, believe it or not) who have gotten in with 3 or less A*s, and even no A*s. It's not about being good at everything, it's about being amazing in the specific subject you want to study.

Saying that, you want to apply to Law. With these kind of competitive courses like Law and Medicine, being good at everything is kind of important, whereas in something like Physics they would only care about how good you are at physics and maths. Therefore I'm not sure you would be a strong applicant. Are you sure you want to do Law? Have you considered other courses based on your A-Level subjects e.g. History, English, Philosophy, or Theology? Law has 5 apps per place while Theology only has 2 and History has only 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    You made a good choice by choosing to study the subjects which you did well in at GCSE, as when looking at your GCSEs they will care more about what you got in your most relevant subjects. However you said you are targeted ABB, however you will need to get AAA at AS to be competitive AND will need to be predicted at least A*AA. It's not impossible, I know of people who have gotten into Cambridge (and Oxford, believe it or not) who have gotten in with 3 or less A*s, and even no A*s. It's not about being good at everything, it's about being amazing in the specific subject you want to study.

Saying that, you want to apply to Law. With these kind of competitive courses like Law and Medicine, being good at everything is kind of important, whereas in something like Physics they would only care about how good you are at physics and maths. Therefore I'm not sure you would be a strong applicant. Are you sure you want to do Law? Have you considered other courses based on your A-Level subjects e.g. History, English, Philosophy, or Theology? Law has 5 apps per place while Theology only has 2 and History has only 3.
    Yeah, I've objectively chosen Law, that won't change, it's practically the only thing I have an interest in and want to do. And yeah, I agree with you, I'm not a particularly strong applicant. Thanks for your input. And as for my current targets, honestly they are irrelevant, I was targeted and predicyed C/D for every single one of my GCSE's, and I still have two years until the exams. I'm currently regularly achieving B grades in the essays I'm doing, and given time, I'm sure I can improve upon this.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.