I've been kicked off my course and I don't know what to do from here?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    and the basis for this assertion ?

while people are required to be in education, training or a job with training, unlike school aged children there is nothing that forces a particualr institution to retain someone who doesn;t attend and deceptive.
    I am merely passing on what our school was told by the DFE. The OP may have been permanently excluded (he doesn't make it very clear) but you can no longer be made to leave post 16 just for poor performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    I am merely passing on what our school was told by the DFE. The OP may have been permanently excluded (he doesn't make it very clear) but you can no longer be made to leave post 16 just for poor performance.
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you because I don't know how it works, but if so, does that mean an 16-18 year old can be an absolute douchebag at college/sixth form and not getting expelled? How does that work? Surely if the school no longer wants them there they have every right to get rid, and then its the persons responsibility to find an alternative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you because I don't know how it works, but if so, does that mean an 16-18 year old can be an absolute douchebag at college/sixth form and not getting expelled? How does that work? Surely if the school no longer wants them there they have every right to get rid, and then its the persons responsibility to find an alternative?
    That's obviously never been true for 11-16 and now appears not to be true for 16-18 either. I'm not directly involved in this but I know we tried to get someone to leave for wasting everyone's time but not doing anything significantly bad only to discover we couldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    That's obviously never been true for 11-16 and now appears not to be true for 16-18 either. I'm not directly involved in this but I know we tried to get someone to leave for wasting everyone's time but not doing anything significantly bad only to discover we couldn't.
    Like I said, know nothing about it. But surely that gives trouble causes all the incentive they need to act up even more? There's got to be a line somewhere where schools can say enough is enough...(you'd hope anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    No, it doesn't work like that. Not at secondary, anyway. If the school/institution wishes to expel the child, then it has to find somewhere for that child to go. It's called a 'managed move'. It's a bit like refugees - you can't just make them stateless. The receiving institution or PRU needs to agree to take the delinquent child on. And it usually costs the institution ridding themselves of the child a good deal of money and administration. Thus, a school or other institution will do everything in their power to avoid having to permanently exclude (=expel) a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    No, it doesn't work like that. Not at secondary, anyway. If the school/institution wishes to expel the child, then it has to find somewhere for that child to go. It's called a 'managed move'. It's a bit like refugees - you can't just make them stateless. The receiving institution or PRU needs to agree to take the delinquent child on. And it usual costs the institution ridding themselves of the child a good deal of money and administration. Thus, a school or other institution will do everything in their power to avoid having to permanently exclude (=expel) a child.
    Thanks for that, learn something new everyday. Do schools get paid for taking on expelled students? By the time I finished secondary school about 30 people in my year had been permanently excluded over the 5 years, I did wonder what happened to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Thanks for that, learn something new everyday. Do schools get paid for taking on expelled students? By the time I finished secondary school about 30 people in my year had been permanently excluded over the 5 years, I did wonder what happened to them
    They don't get paid as such, but PE students tend to have a lot of extra needs/SEN support and that needs to be costed. I imagine a proportion of the 30 people excluded in your year went to a pupil referral unit, or PRU which really is the end of the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    They don't get paid as such, but PE students tend to have a lot of extra needs/SEN support and that needs to be costed. I imagine a proportion of the 30 people excluded in your year went to a pupil referral unit, or PRU which really is the end of the road.
    Makes sense. For bullies and the likes, that probably is a better solution. I just think some children don't function well in an academic environment - an acquaintance of mine had attention span problems (though never diagnosed) and used to play up so not to be embarrassed in front of the class. I think on those occasions, 1-to-1 with all pupils should be carried out to find out their interests and focus on that instead of the basic curriculum.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.