The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippyRN
and the basis for this assertion ?

while people are required to be in education, training or a job with training, unlike school aged children there is nothing that forces a particualr institution to retain someone who doesn;t attend and deceptive.

I am merely passing on what our school was told by the DFE. The OP may have been permanently excluded (he doesn't make it very clear) but you can no longer be made to leave post 16 just for poor performance.
Reply 21
Original post by Compost
I am merely passing on what our school was told by the DFE. The OP may have been permanently excluded (he doesn't make it very clear) but you can no longer be made to leave post 16 just for poor performance.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you because I don't know how it works, but if so, does that mean an 16-18 year old can be an absolute douchebag at college/sixth form and not getting expelled? How does that work? Surely if the school no longer wants them there they have every right to get rid, and then its the persons responsibility to find an alternative?
Original post by Tw1x
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you because I don't know how it works, but if so, does that mean an 16-18 year old can be an absolute douchebag at college/sixth form and not getting expelled? How does that work? Surely if the school no longer wants them there they have every right to get rid, and then its the persons responsibility to find an alternative?

That's obviously never been true for 11-16 and now appears not to be true for 16-18 either. I'm not directly involved in this but I know we tried to get someone to leave for wasting everyone's time but not doing anything significantly bad only to discover we couldn't.
Reply 23
Original post by Compost
That's obviously never been true for 11-16 and now appears not to be true for 16-18 either. I'm not directly involved in this but I know we tried to get someone to leave for wasting everyone's time but not doing anything significantly bad only to discover we couldn't.

Like I said, know nothing about it. But surely that gives trouble causes all the incentive they need to act up even more? There's got to be a line somewhere where schools can say enough is enough...(you'd hope anyway)
Original post by Tw1x

No, it doesn't work like that. Not at secondary, anyway. If the school/institution wishes to expel the child, then it has to find somewhere for that child to go. It's called a 'managed move'. It's a bit like refugees - you can't just make them stateless. The receiving institution or PRU needs to agree to take the delinquent child on. And it usually costs the institution ridding themselves of the child a good deal of money and administration. Thus, a school or other institution will do everything in their power to avoid having to permanently exclude (=expel) a child.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Reality Check
No, it doesn't work like that. Not at secondary, anyway. If the school/institution wishes to expel the child, then it has to find somewhere for that child to go. It's called a 'managed move'. It's a bit like refugees - you can't just make them stateless. The receiving institution or PRU needs to agree to take the delinquent child on. And it usual costs the institution ridding themselves of the child a good deal of money and administration. Thus, a school or other institution will do everything in their power to avoid having to permanently exclude (=expel) a child.

Thanks for that, learn something new everyday. Do schools get paid for taking on expelled students? By the time I finished secondary school about 30 people in my year had been permanently excluded over the 5 years, I did wonder what happened to them
Original post by Tw1x
Thanks for that, learn something new everyday. Do schools get paid for taking on expelled students? By the time I finished secondary school about 30 people in my year had been permanently excluded over the 5 years, I did wonder what happened to them

They don't get paid as such, but PE students tend to have a lot of extra needs/SEN support and that needs to be costed. I imagine a proportion of the 30 people excluded in your year went to a pupil referral unit, or PRU which really is the end of the road.
Reply 27
Original post by Reality Check
They don't get paid as such, but PE students tend to have a lot of extra needs/SEN support and that needs to be costed. I imagine a proportion of the 30 people excluded in your year went to a pupil referral unit, or PRU which really is the end of the road.

Makes sense. For bullies and the likes, that probably is a better solution. I just think some children don't function well in an academic environment - an acquaintance of mine had attention span problems (though never diagnosed) and used to play up so not to be embarrassed in front of the class. I think on those occasions, 1-to-1 with all pupils should be carried out to find out their interests and focus on that instead of the basic curriculum.
I have literally just had the same thing happen to me. I have been removed from my drama a level because of poor attendance due to anxiety, depression, and ptsd. My college knew about this before hand, well before they even accepted me, and I have had meetings. I had attendance of 38% in mt first half term due to multiple relatives and friends dying and I had a mental breakdown. I have then got my attendance up to 70% this half term (had time off because of flu and sickness caused by psychological issues manifesting in physical illnesses), and yet it was still not good enough for them. And yet I've still been allowed to stay on my Literature and Music Tech A Level courses... It doesn't make sense. I appealed to the principle of the college, and he said that he removed me because he
Very old thread!
Original post by wen_but
On thursday, I found out I'd been withdrawn from my course due to low attendance. The reason for this being my depression. It's impossible to get up some mornings and I have no motivation. All that aside, I felt hard done by, because there is a certain process they have to follow. There is a verbal warning, a meeting and then a formal meeting. I was given a verbal warning but no meeting. They had put me on a 2 week "trial" to monitor my progress. I had one day off during those 2 weeks, because I had left my wallet on the bus the day before and I had no money so I couldn't get the bus. Also, they say my behaviour has been inadequate, which I completely disagree with. I'm not just saying that because I am biased towards myself, but because I genuinely can't think of a single incident which could warrant me being removed from the course.

Anyway, I have to write a letter of appeal to my college about why they have made the wrong descision to withdraw me. If that fails, I don't really know what to do from here. Could I please have some advice? Thank you

I dont think they are allowed to do this by law
what year are you in?
I got kicked out of college back in 2001 for hitting some lad with a newspaper and drinking alcohol on the premises i got 2 verbal warnings and that was it . that was a plastering course could of made a lot of money of course i can go back its been 19yrs.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest