My family won't let me move out for uni, whats the point of me getting good grades?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    apply to cambridge, get accepted, then be like "so r u gonna let me go"

ReputationRep:
    theres youtubers called the london girls who also didnt move out and they seem to be having the time of their lives!! moving out is not the be all and end all

ReputationRep:
    A guy in my year had a problem like this last year so he arranged a phone call between his parents and a teacher and it worked. Maybe try that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hackerman)
    Yeah, they said no mater what happens, its my choice what I do. Theyre just not fully convinced that its worth going to the better uni because of accommodation/food etc
    "Better" is subjective. Better doesn't just have to mean you get higher grades. It can mean you have a better life. You might get exactly the same grades at both unis but enjoy your time more if you moved away.

They also can't make a decision on which is better. Both because whatever is going to happen hasn't happened yet and that you're the one going, not them. It's impossible to judge which would be better because you won't know until you've gone and you can't say one is better than the other unless you somehow go to both. So any sort of argument suggesting it isn't worth going to one is rubbish because nobody will know that unless you go and if you do go you'd have nothing to compare it to anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    that'd be the dream lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    Just don't let your parents have access to your UCAS...
    I know of a girl whose parents declined her offer from Cambridge to keep her at home

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. The course is Computer Science.
    That change anything??
    100% go for Newcastle, I went to the open day there and it looked really good. My mate went to look around Salford and said the Computers in the lab were 10+ years old and even students said on the quiet that it's better to take your own laptop in to do work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    100% go for Newcastle, I went to the open day there and it looked really good. My mate went to look around Salford and said the Computers in the lab were 10+ years old and even students said on the quiet that it's better to take your own laptop in to do work.
    Oh damn. Thanks for the info, dude. I'm obviously quite far from Newcastle so I can't go check it out on the open days.

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn. Thanks for the info, dude. I'm obviously quite far from Newcastle so I can't go check it out on the open days.
    No worries. I get the impression they've ploughed all their money into the new campus as Media City and let everything else go to ****.

For what it's worth the same mate said MMU's kit was all new so I'd choose that any day if you decide to stay local or keep a local choice as a backup.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah very true.
    However you made the last bit sound quite depressing lol. "You might not even get around to paying your entire loan off"
    Not in a bad way but a lot of people don't. If you're earning 30k you're only paying back ~£80 a month?

I'm just saying, you're never going to be in financial hardship by taking out a larger loan. Larger loan doesn't equal bigger payments, just longer period of time paying. And it's your debt, not your parents, so rack it up as big as you fancy.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexS101)
    Just don't let your parents have access to your UCAS...
    I know of a girl whose parents declined her offer from Cambridge to keep her at home
    That is the most disgusting thing ... What awful people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    No worries. I get the impression they've ploughed all their money into the new campus as Media City and let everything else go to ****.

For what it's worth the same mate said MMU's kit was all new so I'd choose that any day if you decide to stay local or keep a local choice as a backup.
    I think Salford are having an Open day at the end of this month so I may as well check it out, same with MMU. Either way, they'll both probably be my backup.
    Thanks.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.