Why don't boys like me?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    give me a PM and ill help you out I can tell you that i was in a similar position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm quiet and don't really approach people, but if someone starts a conversation with me I'll be happy to talk. I had a crush on a guy in my class last year and I thought he might like me too since I always caught him looking, but nothing ever came of it. What am I doing wrong?
    If you liked him why didn't you make an effort to speak to him? I only say this because I am a guy and I liked this shy girl we both didn't initiate anything

(Original post by EnterNamehereplz)
    If you liked him why didn't you make an effort to speak to him? I only say this because I am a guy and I liked this shy girl we both didn't initiate anything
    I guess I was just scared of rejection because I'm quite insecure; I didn't know if I would be his type because he's super smart and I thought he might be into more "nerdy" girls

ReputationRep:
    You get guys who are very shy just like yourself; you ain't gonna get them by looking at each other so I suggest you initiate a conversation and don't worry about rejection because rejection is normal.

ReputationRep:
    Well I saw him at an open day once and smiled and said hey, but now I walk past him in the hallways sometimes and he just looks away
    Well that's proberly you problem then . If you can't actaully hold a conversation with him then he's not going to approach you is he?
    I know you are shy but if you really aren't going to talk to him, you dhould move on

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very shy unless I start a totally new place. But, I do have a crush on a mate in my friendship group.

(Original post by Larissa14)
    Well that's proberly you problem then . If you can't actaully hold a conversation with him then he's not going to approach you is he?
    I know you are shy but if you really aren't going to talk to him, you dhould move on
    Well when I was leaving the open day I saw him eating and was walking towards him but he dashed off lmao so I didn't really have a chance to properly talk to him

ReputationRep:
    Well when I was leaving the open day I saw him eating and was walking towards him but he dashed off lmao so I didn't really have a chance to properly talk to him
    Don't worry, lots of people can relate to you! I am confident but don't want to embarrass myself, so I stick with who I have known for a long time.

Also, this isn't me trying to be pessimistic but how many relationships last at 17? (I'm also 17, btw) Like most just fail and people are 'heartbroken'.

But honestly what I've learnt is a person will not be angry or annoyed at you for saying hi or approaching them, the best friendships or relationships happen that way.

So, just try and find common ground and not have a yr 7 conversation of "HI" WUU2" "BYE"

But wish you all the best

ReputationRep:
    If
    if you are never going to actually talk to him ,then just move on.
    Have you added him on facebook

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9JGzBdfkp0

ReputationRep:
    I'm quiet and don't really approach people, but if someone starts a conversation with me I'll be happy to talk. I had a crush on a guy in my class last year and I thought he might like me too since I always caught him looking, but nothing ever came of it. What am I doing wrong?
    Ultimately (and unfortunately) if you are too shy to ever say or do anything then nothing will ever happen.

Don't get into the idea that boys don't like you though. I'm sure boys do like you. But like you maybe they didn't have the confidence to say it. It's really a matter of having the confidence to talk to people.

Speaking from experience if you are shy it's worth putting effort in to get over it. You don't have to change into the most extroverted person ever but get used to talking with people, initiating contact and so on. I got into a relationship with a girl who messaged me out of the blue on Facebook. I'd never seen her in my life, we didn't know each other but apparently she's seen me at college. Get used to talking with people because you never know what is going to happen. Practice on anyone you like, people you know on social media, complete strangers here on TSR, whatever. Just get used to talking with people and being a little less shy. In a few years you'll thank yourself.

(Original post by Larissa14)
    If

if you are never going to actually talk to him ,then just move on.
    Have you added him on facebook
    Yeah he added me on facebook actually which I thought could be a good sign

I would like to talk to him I just don't know how as I have no experience

(Original post by Hassanh)
    Don't worry, lots of people can relate to you! I am confident but don't want to embarrass myself, so I stick with who I have known for a long time.

Also, this isn't me trying to be pessimistic but how many relationships last at 17? (I'm also 17, btw) Like most just fail and people are 'heartbroken'.

But honestly what I've learnt is a person will not be angry or annoyed at you for saying hi or approaching them, the best friendships or relationships happen that way.

So, just try and find common ground and not have a yr 7 conversation of "HI" WUU2" "BYE"

But wish you all the best
    We're both applying for the same course at uni so I think this is something I could talk about with him, I just need an opportunity to do so but it's hard now that we're not in any of the same classes anymore

(Original post by Acsel)
    Ultimately (and unfortunately) if you are too shy to ever say or do anything then nothing will ever happen.

Don't get into the idea that boys don't like you though. I'm sure boys do like you. But like you maybe they didn't have the confidence to say it. It's really a matter of having the confidence to talk to people.

Speaking from experience if you are shy it's worth putting effort in to get over it. You don't have to change into the most extroverted person ever but get used to talking with people, initiating contact and so on. I got into a relationship with a girl who messaged me out of the blue on Facebook. I'd never seen her in my life, we didn't know each other but apparently she's seen me at college. Get used to talking with people because you never know what is going to happen. Practice on anyone you like, people you know on social media, complete strangers here on TSR, whatever. Just get used to talking with people and being a little less shy. In a few years you'll thank yourself.
    Thanks for the advice

I've definitely improved a lot over the last year or so but still I would like to completely overcome my shyness so I will keep these things in mind!

Im a guy(17) and had(still do to a lesser extent) this exact problem of finding it really hard to talk to people. I guess my advice to you would be to keep at it and dont be afraid to make a fool of yourself, often, its easier for me to talk about work or something to start off. I can definitely see that Ive gotten so much better over the last year or so there is definitely hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.)
    Try and be friendly with girls who are quite popular and get them to hook you up with someone.

Or you could make friends with boys who are quite introverted, but they might run off as they're quite shy too.
    I beg u shut up- "make friends with popular girls" There's seriously more to life mate

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice

I've definitely improved a lot over the last year or so but still I would like to completely overcome my shyness so I will keep these things in mind!
    Well if you've improved already then I see no reason why you can't overcome it completely. Take your time, you've already done most of the work. Also worth noting that nobody ever fully overcomes shyness. Everyone has times they're shy or nervous.

We're both applying for the same course at uni so I think this is something I could talk about with him, I just need an opportunity to do so but it's hard now that we're not in any of the same classes anymore
    You have an opportunity. You're applying for the same course. Just send him a message and start chatting. If you really want an excuse to message then go with something like "Have you applied yet", "Have you looked at the university, what's it like?", or something. You could literally just say:

Hi (name), I heard you were applying to (University/course), I'm applying there too and was wondering if you've looked around the university yet, if so what was it like?

Or something along those lines and bam. You've started a conversation with him

ReputationRep:
    That's cool, what course is it? And definitely make the most of it, especially if he comes across as 'intelligent' because he's most likely passionate or interested in the subject.

What is life if we don't take risks?

(Original post by Acsel)
    Well if you've improved already then I see no reason why you can't overcome it completely. Take your time, you've already done most of the work. Also worth noting that nobody ever fully overcomes shyness. Everyone has times they're shy or nervous.

You have an opportunity. You're applying for the same course. Just send him a message and start chatting. If you really want an excuse to message then go with something like "Have you applied yet", "Have you looked at the university, what's it like?", or something. You could literally just say:

Hi (name), I heard you were applying to (University/course), I'm applying there too and was wondering if you've looked around the university yet, if so what was it like?

Or something along those lines and bam. You've started a conversation with him
    Yeah I think that's a good idea to message him about applying to uni but I'm just so scared because I don't want to annoy him or embarrass myself if he doesn't actually like me back

(Original post by Hassanh)
    That's cool, what course is it? And definitely make the most of it, especially if he comes across as 'intelligent' because he's most likely passionate or interested in the subject.

What is life if we don't take risks?
    Computer science, and I guess you're right I'll never get anywhere with this unless I talk to him but I'm so shy and awkward so I need to build up the courage

ReputationRep:
    Computer science, and I guess you're right I'll never get anywhere with this unless I talk to him but I'm so shy and awkward so I need to build up the courage [/QUOTE]

Really interesting course, History myself. Yeah, just go for it- best of luck!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.