Crisis 07 – Falklands Recapture

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Tbh if we were only going to let the most realistic crises be put forward then we'd only get crises that were actually happening. The fact is that very unexpected things do happen.
    It's possible to have realistic without mirroring reality, the medical crisis proves that. But there is only so far unexpected can go. If we don't have a satellite looking at Argentina fairly regularly just on the off chance I would be surprised, I would be even more surprised if they actually followed through on their distracting rhetoric when they know this time they probably wouldn't even be able to make it to the Islands, let alone take them, and even more surprised still if somehow they made it the whole way without being spotted. The fact that the Argentine navy basically doesn't exist sorta says something about how ludicrous this is too, it's about as scary as the Somali navy, and would probably lose in a fight against the somali navy too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's possible to have realistic without mirroring reality, the medical crisis proves that. But there is only so far unexpected can go. If we don't have a satellite looking at Argentina fairly regularly just on the off chance I would be surprised, I would be even more surprised if they actually followed through on their distracting rhetoric when they know this time they probably wouldn't even be able to make it to the Islands, let alone take them, and even more surprised still if somehow they made it the whole way without being spotted. The fact that the Argentine navy basically doesn't exist sorta says something about how ludicrous this is too, it's about as scary as the Somali navy, and would probably lose in a fight against the somali navy too.
    It's only impossible until it happens, and who knows - maybe the Russians are being more malicious behind the scenes than we'd thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It's only impossible until it happens, and who knows - maybe the Russians are being more malicious behind the scenes than we'd thought.
    Well the Russian navy barely work either, and we would definitely see that going half way across the world, sooooo.....

It also doesn't further their agenda at all.

ReputationRep:
    Jammy Duel, instead of criticising every crisis as unlikely, why don't you offer an idea of something you think would be a) accurately described as a 'crisis', and b) unlikely?

The point is that, IMO, crises are by definition unlikely, so taking that as a point of criticism seems unreasonable to me.

How about the next crisis: "Britain has voted to exit the European Union..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Jammy Duel, instead of criticising every crisis as unlikely, why don't you offer an idea of something you think would be a) accurately described as a 'crisis', and b) unlikely?

The point is that, IMO, crises are by definition unlikely, so taking that as a point of criticism seems unreasonable to me.

How about the next crisis: "Britain has voted to exit the European Union..."
    Unrealistic and unlikely are completely diffetent things, would ypu for instance accept a crisis were the earth suddenly stops spinning, or aliens invade? I mean, they're unlikely ao they must be fine. How about ao!ebody teleporting a nuke into the middle of Leeds? Or a comet suddenly appearing out of nowjere about to crash into yhe earth causing human extinction? Are then unrealistic enough for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Unrealistic and unlikely are completely diffetent things, would ypu for instance accept a crisis were the earth suddenly stops spinning, or aliens invade? I mean, they're unlikely ao they must be fine. How about ao!ebody teleporting a nuke into the middle of Leeds? Or a comet suddenly appearing out of nowjere about to crash into yhe earth causing human extinction? Are then unrealistic enough for you?
    But you must surely accept that some Argentinian leader (let's be honest, Kirchner wasn't exactly rational, so we don't have high standards) might well choose to exert nationalism by attempting to retake the Falklands and it's not within that 'unrealistic' category?

ReputationRep:
    But you must surely accept that some Argentinian leader (let's be honest, Kirchner wasn't exactly rational, so we don't have high standards) might well choose to exert nationalism by attempting to retake the Falklands and it's not within that 'unrealistic' category?
    The idea that Argentina might try to take the Falklands isn't unrealistic but for them to do it undetected is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I did qualify it was the most realistic of the crisis so far. I don't know enough about Argentina to say how a fight would go
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I think it is most certainly a realistic crisis. In recent years tensions have flared up between Spain and Gibralter and it is perfectly possible for the same to happen over the Falklands.

It will be interesting to see what course of action you decide to take.
    All of Latin America combined does not have the sufficient air force to invade the Falklands, due to the UK having far, far superior military technology. Ever if Argentina is to use the Chinese tactic of sending its entire population to grave just to bury Falkland forces, as JD said, the crisis would still not be "the Falklands have been taken over" but rather something like "Argentina attacks". The Falklands are also quite big.

And this is without mentioning the fact that Argentina literally has no money to buy fuels for its ships and in all of South America, only Brazil and Chile have a proper military (and neither is likely to aid Argentina, with Chile's only history on this was to help the British to fight against Argentina and Brazil only really wanting money).

The only remotely plausible explanation should this actually happen is that it is actually a US-back invasion, in which case I think Britain should just surrender or throw the most powerful American in the UK, the Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP, to jail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    As Foreign Sec i can confirm that the Prime Minister is engaged in deep pondering (i popped put for a cigar) and i have emailed the Argentina PM with a documentary of the Battle of Trafalgar.
    I'm not sure who you emailed since Argentina does not have a prime minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    x
    *** bk 2 da skype group

ReputationRep:
    *** bk 2 da skype group

ReputationRep:
    quackquack's dominating with his conversational conservativism though

we miss you

ReputationRep:

we miss you
    If you go and buy 10 copies of Billboard's Woman of the Year Madonna's Rebel Heart and post the receipt here then I may consider going back.

ReputationRep:
    If you go and buy 10 copies of Billboard's Woman of the Year Madonna's Rebel Heart and post the receipt here then I may consider going back.
    can I just torrent it ten times and post proof of that?

ReputationRep:
    can I just torrent it ten times and post proof of that?
    *defecting to Argentina*

ReputationRep:
    This crisis is bad news for any party wanting to get into power, we know how the 1982 conflict worked for Thatcher. Her popularity skyrocketed after destroying the Argies.

I expect new polling data to come in shortly showing LP on approval ratings of c.90% because of his "strong leadership" skills.

ReputationRep:

we miss you
    In what way?

ReputationRep:
    After a long meeting with my advisors, I'd like to issue a statement on behalf of the government:

Even though the crisis is completely improbable (yet again) because of the unquestionable backlash from the international community that would follow, the poor state of the country, and the severely underfunded Argentine Navy whose ships are mostly inactive, lacking maintenance and spares, as well as trained crews, we've decided to approach this crisis seriously unless you come up with an even more ridiculous development.

First of all and fortunately, the Royal Navy had been deployed on a training mission near South Georgia when the government was notified of the sadly precedented attack on its soil and are now en route to the Falkland Islands. The fleet includes five Daring class destroyers, eight Duke class frigates, HMS Bulwark, several support and survey ships, the three Astute class submarines, and a single Vanguard class submarine. The Royal Air Force are surveying the area and ready to respond with the use of deadly force from RAF Ascension should the need arise. A special forces task force is currently on their way to the area. In the process of early confrontation, two Argentinian vessels were sunk after they attempted to fire at our fleet.

We have issued a warning to the Argentinian government and given them 48 hours to retreat or face the obliteration of their navy positioned around the Falklands as well as retaliatory fire at targets positioned within and around the area of their capital Buenos Aires. We've also made it very clear that any further aggression will lead to escalation and inevitable destruction of the Argentinian forces.

I have also approached the United Nations Security Council and… give me a break here, I don't know how these bloody bureaucrats work and it's a bit too much to research, to be honest. Nevertheless, the UNSC authorised our use of force and is currently in the process of drafting international sanctions in case Argentina does not retreat immediately. Most of the countries are condemning the Argentinian invasion and ready to impose trade and travel restrictions.

The British citizens in Argentina have been instructed to remain calm and get ready to evacuate the country if we declare war.

ReputationRep:
    Attempting itself may not be so unrealistic (well, it is because most of the fleet isn't even sea worthy and even less when you throw crew training into the mix), but capturing is a whole different matter, as I've already said several times, to capture would require boots on the ground, boots on the ground requires either sufficient paras or a large enough landing force, and both face the same issue. In both instances the weakness of the Argentine forces mean that any attempted invasion would be defeated before it got anywhere near the Islands, the ships would be sunk and the planes would be shot out of the sky by our vastly superior hardware. But suppose for a moment we take the slightly more realistic of the two which is some paras make it, then you have a battalion of the British Army (and the top end in terms of size, verging on being a regiment) with once again superior hardware and training.

While invasion rhetoric is a given, an attempt is incredibly unlikely, and a successful invasion is harder that crashing into the sun.

ReputationRep:
    A slight upon the sovereignty of the United Kingdom. This cannot stand in my view, and I propose economic sanctions upon Argentina immediately, and for a fast response team to be sent in.

Their army is a shambles. Their air force is a shambles. Their navy is a shambles.

With little effort, this puts the UK on the map as a proponent of hard power, and we needn't worry about soft power, we are really the 2nd most powerful soft power.

Given the time it takes to get there, I suggest the government warns them.

But hit them hard if they continue.

Updated: October 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.