Do you brush your teeth before breakfast or after?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: Do you brush your teeth before breakfast or after?
    Before
    45.36%
    After
    54.64%

ReputationRep:
    after
    once I've suited up and blinged out just before I leave for another busy day

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't brush after eating, seems to be the consensus these days. If you're trying to remove food (not what brushing is for) then rinse your mouth out with water. Even Colgate seems to (eventually) say so, and that's saying something.

ReputationRep:
    Before, just because I brush them at home and then eat breakfast at work

ReputationRep:
    After, because if you do it before, your going to after your going to eat anyway

ReputationRep:
    Before. It gets rid of whatever causes that horrid taste in your mouth you get when you wake up

ReputationRep:
    Before and after. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Before

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who does both?

ReputationRep:
    Before

ReputationRep:
    The reason for doing it before is that when you sleep bacteria may accumulate in your mouth, therefore if you eat something bacteria may go inside you, whereas by doing it before the bacteria is killed/removed from your mouth before you eat.

Hence i do it before 😎

ReputationRep:
    Before

ReputationRep:
    before breakfast but after dinner :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Both. :yep: Before and after :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    And so does brushing after breakfast, with the added bonus of removing the cornflakes between your teeth, surely?
    This

I don't understand why you'd brush before?Do you want your breakfast to taste minty? No.
    Do you want to have breakfast fulled (braces for me ) teeth for the rest of the day? No.
    Brush after, for a brighter day.
    Brace yourself

ReputationRep:
    If I have say...work then I guess I'd do it before. If not, then after but after about half an hour

It is recommendedthat you do your toothbrush before eating really and then spitting the toothpaste out as opposed to rinsing your mouth out. I don't understand the "But isn't it minty" and I'm like...no? But then I guess I use Sensodyne toothpaste which in fairness isn't exactly all that minty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    This

I don't understand why you'd brush before?Do you want your breakfast to taste minty? No.
    Do you want to have breakfast fulled (braces for me ) teeth for the rest of the day? No.
    Brush after, for a brighter day.
    Brace yourself
    If you've eaten acidic food it can be detrimental to brush straight afterwards as it erodes the weakened enamel. However for meals that are high in sugar and carbohydrates, which applies to a lot of breakfast cereals, brushing straight afterwards actually helps a lot by removing the bacteria that attack the enamel in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Both lol #braces

ReputationRep:
    You are ment to do it at least half an hour after so that's what I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    If you've eaten acidic food it can be detrimental to brush straight afterwards as it erodes the weakened enamel. However for meals that are high in sugar and carbohydrates, which applies to a lot of breakfast cereals, brushing straight afterwards actually helps a lot by removing the bacteria that attack the enamel in the first place.
    dude my food has ph >7
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I checked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    After

Why brush before eating, that kinda makes it redundant
    Dentists recommend it. You risk damaging your teeth with acidic stuff like...tea and coffee or orange juice
    http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral...d-for-you-0313

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.